[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Hambourgeois

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Hambourgeois »

i'm sure this has been done a million times but i cobbled together pieces from the shotgun and pistol, plus a few hand placed pixels to make a hopefully better muzzle flash for the v0.5 assault rifle than the one in the wad. your preference of just the bright parts or the whole combined image. hope this saves someone else 5 or 10 minutes.
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

Vostyok wrote: Personally I think the side animation is good as it is. Most of the leg is obscured, and trying to suggest more movement from that leg may instead distort the intended emphasis. You can see the left leg fully extending and bending, a little bit of asynchroncity is good for a living creature.
first of all, thanks!! It does feel weird, still. The animation is *technically* correct, but it feels wrong, like the leg is sliding. Checking an older animation, looks like i had done this one a bit better (but with errors in other regards) so i'll check both and decide if it's worth fixing
Nmn wrote:
Stopsignal wrote:Monster sprite
I understand you pixelled this from scratch.
This is very high quality, fabulous creature design as well. You've made my day, and it's been horrible thus far :)

May I inquire that software do you use to check the animation? Just cycling through opened separate frames as different images in the 2d software, or actuall using some soft to see how it walks.
Me? I still use good ol' Animation Shop that came bundled with PSP 7.0 by JASC.
Thank you! sorry you had a bad day. Keep yer chin up, i'll take the opportunity to say your art is pretty cool!

I use photoshop's "Animation Timeline" function. It has a few idiosyncrasies that you need to get around, as in turning off "new layers visible in all frames" and avoiding changing stuff in the first frame (it moves it in all frames, unless you turn it off *per layer*, which is a hassle). After that, it's really perfect for animating pixelart with small frame counts. I'd like to say i'd try another program but i am so ridiculously used to Photoshop it would be impossible to leave it.
It's not the tool though, it's about how you use it!

If anyone needs a few more tips about how to animate in photoshop just contact me! I should probably continue my spriting tutorial some day.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

some barrels:
dasbarelz.png
dasbarelz.png (21.15 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
and wooden ones (heretic and hexen inspired):
wud_barrlz.png
wud_barrlz.png (2.24 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
and a doom64 resize:
bar_d64.png
bar_d64.png (1.09 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Hey, i like that last guy! Pretty nice (and can be used as a basis for a D64 flaming barrel)
Hambourgeois

Post by Hambourgeois »

ed: forgot a pickup sprite

More raiding of pre-release content plus simple edits. Here's a sliced down BFG with the press release beta muzzleflash and some lighting in the grill.
Last edited by Hambourgeois on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

Stopsignal wrote:Keep yer chin up, i'll take the opportunity to say your art is pretty cool!
Thank you, it means a lot to me :)
Stopsignal wrote:If anyone needs a few more tips about how to animate in photoshop just contact me!
:o yes, if it's not a problem for you, please. Are you willing to redirect me to some tutorial I can actually understand regarding the subject? ;) because I've tried 2 tutorials I still have little idea on using the animation bar in PS. Or would you rather share the knowledge yourself?
Is it that every animation is a different layer? Geez, because I keep transparency over my sprites as sepearate layers with hard edges, so one frame would actually be two layers.

I'm sorry.. I'm clueless what you meant by contact - you mean PM you or respond here? I can be dim sometimes :(
I'm using Photoshop CS 5 by the way. And I've grown much to it's use, regardless of my initial prejudice.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Hey, i like that last guy! Pretty nice (and can be used as a basis for a D64 flaming barrel)
Good idea... Please do so ;)
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

Nmn wrote::o yes, if it's not a problem for you, please. Are you willing to redirect me to some tutorial I can actually understand regarding the subject? ;) because I've tried 2 tutorials I still have little idea on using the animation bar in PS. Or would you rather share the knowledge yourself?
Is it that every animation is a different layer? Geez, because I keep transparency over my sprites as sepearate layers with hard edges, so one frame would actually be two layers.
Just tell me here, hahahahah
It's done! viewtopic.php?f=39&t=67115&p=1158747#p1158747

Hope it helps! I'll also be posting my quick guide to walking frames there shortly, it will be the same one i wrote here, so it doens't get lost hahahahah
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

osjclatchford wrote:
Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Hey, i like that last guy! Pretty nice (and can be used as a basis for a D64 flaming barrel)
Good idea... Please do so ;)
Sure thing man, will do. ;)
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

Amazing! I'm bound to learn something new with this :)
Interesting side note, just when I was looking for a sprite tutorial to supplement my knowledge on the subject last week this drops down from the sky as a gift ;)
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Animating in Photoshop is pain. Main reason - when you change frame you than have to manually change the layer too. I've done most of Dex animations in it and it took 3 years. And for DooM there is another problem - you need to work in 5 or 8 rotations and the frames need to work together in every frame and every rotation. I would need to have a way to choose animation frame AND rotation frame and freely move between them. I guess you can make a Photoshop plugin that would solve both, but that's way over what I can do.

Also new versions of photoshop do have regular onion skins, but I think there are better programs for animation. I tried Clip studio and it works really well if you get over the setup, but it uses acceleration to add anti-aliasing when previewing the animation thus rendering it useless for pixel art.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

My first attempt at rendering a weapon sprite from a 3D model in Blender. Still trying to get the lighting just right; I wonder if importing some normals+roughness+specular maps into the scene will help it shade a little more realistically. Are you guys aware of any Blender extensions which can preview a model in indexed color mode?

Excited to get better at this. :D
Attachments
untitled.png
untitled.png (4.44 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I would suggest changing the viewpoint a bit to the right (or move the weeapon to the left) so the angle is sharper, I think it looks much better than the 45 degree angle.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

I think you're right, it looks a little better (and the barrel looks less like a weird sideways protrusion) at a sharper angle. I've fiddled greatly with the lighting, and tweaked the colors a little in gimp to make it look more palettized. Still not quite there, but it's getting better.
Attachments
M3 Grease Gun
M3 Grease Gun
untitled.png (4.05 KiB) Viewed 884 times
ChopBlock223
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 with extensive trimming and regedits.
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ChopBlock223 »

Very nice. Looks like the A1 model. I always thought the Greaseguns were really neat for how incredibly simple and fast their manufacture was, they'd make most of the gun's body by stamping a left side half and right side half out of sheet metal, then welding them together to make the receiver.
Subguns of that era have such a strong industrial look to them.

Return to “General”