[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by NeuralStunner »

Hearts are kind of cheesy, though...

A green cross works well enough. If you want to keep the red theme, I'd try the caduceus (even if it's a bit hard to portray in low resolution) or a solid red diamond. (A hollow one will not solve anything.)
Gez

Post by Gez »

I'm just waiting for the mod where medikits open fire on you, since they are now 8-) pillboxes.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Posted these back when XBLA Doom II was released, but since we're on the subject and I can't find the original post, here are the green health packs. I remember it being pointed out that the green pharmaceutical cross isn't quite as widely recognised as I'd first thought.
Attachments
pstra0.png
pstra0.png (1.31 KiB) Viewed 742 times
media0.png
media0.png (1.32 KiB) Viewed 742 times
stima0.png
stima0.png (1.24 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

What palette are they in?
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

They were a simple hue remap. Nothing fancy, but they're PNGs, so they should show up in software mode OK, I think ...
Gez

Post by Gez »

It works better on the berserk than on the white packs, where the green doesn't contrast much.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

The problem (?) with using a green cross is that it has come to mean something else in parts of the US...

For example...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Disco ... na_-_2.jpg
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

AFADoomer wrote:Medical Marijuana
So Doomguy's not fighting demons, he's just tripping out really bad! :P
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

I still can't get these sprites to where I'm happy with them but I feel better about this than my last two attempts.
HRCUB0.png
HRCUB0.png (7.46 KiB) Viewed 725 times
The bits I borrowed from Demon Eclipse's railgun still needs rust/scratches and I need to figure out how to prevent the code form breaking one of the maps It'll be used in. (the problem is essentially that the gun is too good at killing)
Gez

Post by Gez »

The green cross is there to emphasize it's supposed to be medical. A marijuana symbol would have to have five branches, as an echo of the leaf's shape.
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

zrrion the insect wrote:I still can't get these sprites to where I'm happy with them but I feel better about this than my last two attempts.
HRCUB0.png
The bits I borrowed from Demon Eclipse's railgun still needs rust/scratches and I need to figure out how to prevent the code form breaking one of the maps It'll be used in. (the problem is essentially that the gun is too good at killing)
I dont see anything wrong with the overpoweredness of a weapon
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

zrrion the insect wrote: (the problem is essentially that the gun is too good at killing)
Limit the weapon's ammo intake severely. If you make the weapon "expensive" enough (whether by cranking up the ammo usage or just making the ammo rarer than gold), players will conserve the weapon instead of overpowering absolutely everything with it.
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

What is that gun supposed to be? Right now it looks like a centered dn3d shrink ray.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

The way it kills things is breaking the map.
The gun fires a dummy projectile that calls A_BFGflash, which hits multiple things at the same time.
The gun is for ItDE, and on map04, when waves happen is a decision based on the number of virgins sacrificed. If you kill more than one at a time the game overlaps all 4 waves at once, spawn two of the mini-boss, and won't let the player exit the level even if all foes are vanquished. I realy like the function of the weapon, and don't want to change it, but I also don't want to completely re-work the scripting of that map.
While typing this I realized that the dummy projectile could call A_BFGflash, (with only one flash), several times with a small delay between them, preserving the function of the weapon and preventing the bug. *goes to test idea*

EDIT: That didn't work :( On the up-side, IsNaturreToDie helped out with the sprite, and after some tweaking, I think I have one that'll work.
HRCUA0.png
HRCUA0.png (8.73 KiB) Viewed 542 times
Last edited by zrrion the insect on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Decided to run with that cattle prod idea from ages ago. Figured it would work well as an equivalent to the lab techs for ToPII's Hell levels:
Attachments
SCZPA1x4.png
SCZPA1x4.png (2.55 KiB) Viewed 542 times

Return to “General”