[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Vostyok »

Nice, Mike. I really like that minigun, revolver is also really well put together.

You've really been improving that unique style. Looking forward to more. :D
Assassin of Purity
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Assassin of Purity »

EndHack wrote:I smashed a bunch of sprites to gather today and made this
Nice.
ThrashfanBert1994

Post by ThrashfanBert1994 »

MarlboroMike2100 wrote:Slapped a few more odds and ends together, also quickly finished a mini gun I slapped together 2 or 3 days ago with an extra option or two.
i have a challenge, can you do centered versions?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Super Lovely Minigun there! This one seems has a lot of effort into it!
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

MarlboroMike2100 wrote:Slapped a few more odds and ends together, also quickly finished a mini gun I slapped together 2 or 3 days ago with an extra option or two.
Cool stuff as usual. I might like to include some of those spiderwebby textures in my Heretic/Hexen WADs if I may (with credit of course.)
XLightningStormL

Post by XLightningStormL »

Now for a proper and final accurate centered, and doom fitting Colt M1911A1.
Attachments
m1911spreadsheet.png
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

oh hey an M202A1

Creds: Robbe Vlaeminck
REXMaster

Post by REXMaster »

YukesVonFaust wrote:oh hey an M202A1
:thumb:
MarlboroMike2100

Post by MarlboroMike2100 »

Go for it ETTiNGRiNDER. I always go by the if used, credit, if edited co-credit motto.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

I don't know how many of you have been following Hidfan's Neural-network upscaling of the original Doom artwork (you should be, because it's amazing!), but I've been really obsessed with it lately, and I've started pitching in towards the long task of manually cleaning up the upscaled sprites that the machine spits out. A lot of this is redefining monster faces, and other things that get lost in translation.

This is a comparison between some original monster faces, and procedurally scaled-up versions which I've substantially cleaned up and redrawn by hand. I think they look pretty killer in-game! I'm really excited about working on this. :D Hidfan is the real mastermind, though, you should definitely check out his work across the portal and give him props.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (2.98 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
ZvNDMim.png
ZvNDMim.png (3.47 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

this is what jaguar doom should have looked like.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Oh, so upscale HD sprite mod is actually released? I thought every single HD sprite project of this game were all dead... Get Locked, Go Absent and repeat. But once again, i was wrong! Anyway even more extra detail on the sprites might be a cherry on top.

Anyway one thing i should complain about that HD Chaingunner's face, is that his bloody mustache mouth looks like a thick red lip. :P
IMX

Post by IMX »

I agree with what Xaser said in the Doomworld thread, these upscaled sprites could be pretty useful as base for a "2x" mod.

Proper cleaning by hand must be performed on every single one of them, and we're talking about modifying just about 1595 graphic lumps.

Personally I would aim for a "shareware" pack of graphics -- Which means, only converting every graphic that can be found in Episode 1 for proof-of-concept purposes. With this you can potentially reduce the amount of graphics that need to be converted and see if it can gather enough interest for a full-blown project.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

I agree that it's going to be a huge amount of work (especially if you want to upscale/clean the smooth doom sprites, which I would love to do), but one of the things that really sets Hidfan's efforts apart from the pack to me is how many of these sprites look great right out of the box. A lot of them don't really need to be touched up at all, and the ones that do, like the zombies, already look massively improved just by working on the faces a little bit. I think it's tough, but doable, especially if more community folks can be coaxed into helping. :D
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Gifty wrote:I agree that it's going to be a huge amount of work (especially if you want to upscale/clean the smooth doom sprites, which I would love to do), but one of the things that really sets Hidfan's efforts apart from the pack to me is how many of these sprites look great right out of the box. A lot of them don't really need to be touched up at all, and the ones that do, like the zombies, already look massively improved just by working on the faces a little bit. I think it's tough, but doable, especially if more community folks can be coaxed into helping. :D
in my opinion this is the best of any of these upscale projects I've ever seen... its obvious why so many get abandoned but as you say, the art that's produced before touching up is extraordinarily exceptional to begin with. this, I feel, potentially gives this project a much bigger shelf-life as far as the effort/interest balance is concerned...

Return to “General”