[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Nmn »

I too am very fond of those bushes.
Great idea, great execution. :)
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

anyone know where is Jarewill Strife mod thread?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

this pauldron twitching too much. 2 especially.
nr 3 with this hand movement is very odd.

yeah animating monster with Interprite, is much fun.
hey, whats this?! where is shooting animation, death and pain? you lazy .rick
sorry, Im lazy.

I think I go now with the flow, and fix errors after? or someone else do it :D
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

TOvmn1Y.gif
TOvmn1Y.gif (16.26 KiB) Viewed 866 times
I started on an edit but didn't get far because I realized I don't know the nature of the elements. Is the light beige colored thing attached to the belt made of fabric or something more solid? Fabric would definitely move differently. Likewise knowing what the shoulder things do would depend on how they are shaped and attached. Is there some official artwork of this character? Generally more movement looks better than less.
whatever the case something as simple as moving the sprite up 1 pixel during what are usually the B and D frames, when the legs are more vertical, thus making the figure slightly taller, creates a big difference. It might be best to work out all the movements with simpler color application before going for the full gradienty treatment, at least on the shoulder lumps.
something else to watch for in a lot of those, like 3, 7 and 8, is that one leg seems to take the place of the other between frames, creating a slight impression that the leg didn't move at all.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

bimshwel wrote:Is there some official artwork of this character?
I don't know how much use this will be but I think these are all the bigger pictures from the game that feature the acolytes.

bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

OH I didn't realize that was the "acolyte," since I only know it from looking at weird code pointers on the zdoom wiki. I assumed they looked like clergy or wizards. And now that I have looked up the official strife sprites, my criticism is really more pointed at them, then, because they don't match the illustrations as well as they could. The shoulder things should be more angular and those red eyes are totally absent. unless they are superimposed in-game to make them glow. The acolsprites look like they were drawn over the ones for the SS guard by a vga addict.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

A red glow makes an appearance when he's firing, but it's certainly not the two permanently glowing red eyes of the other artwork.

bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I suppose that makes it seem more special. Was there ever any method implemented into zdoom to designate special palette indexes or colors to always be at full brightness like in Dark Forces?
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

bimshwel wrote:I suppose that makes it seem more special. Was there ever any method implemented into zdoom to designate special palette indexes or colors to always be at full brightness like in Dark Forces?
GZDoom's hardware renderer has brightmaps.

And in the software renderer, colours fading to dark in the distance is done through the COLORMAP lump, so you can just make the section of the COLORMAP for that colour fully bright and it'll work. And that's possible in vanilla Doom too - in fact, vanilla Strife itself uses this trick.
(And GZDoom's hardware renderer has hardcoded support for that trick - if a colour in the COLORMAP stays the same across the full range, AFAIK it'll generate brightmaps for paletted sprites which use that colour that don't already have one)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Lagi wrote:anyone know where is Jarewill Strife mod thread?
Very impressive shieldless version of acolyte! Now i guess we have to make the original one act like Hexen's Centaur!
Last edited by Captain J on Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I remember zdoom disabling custom colormap effecs but that was a while ago. I should re-examine that at some point.
Brightmaps i never heard of before; that looks like it could be tedious to implement for complex sequences but certainly more orderly than some other way, i suppose.
Gez

Post by Gez »

osjclatchford wrote:anyway:
you know, the sad thing is I have real hedges here that need cutting... :roll:
Haha, these are wonderful. Since you don't seem to have a Doomworld account, I took the liberty to promote them out in the sprite thread over there, I hope you don't mind. They deserve to be seen!
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

boosh2.PNG
boosh2.PNG (5.66 KiB) Viewed 771 times
Some rotation fix. And yes, now the rotation can happen, i think!
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

bimshwel wrote:
TOvmn1Y.gif
I started on an edit but didn't get far because I realized I don't know the nature of the elements. Is the light beige colored thing attached to the belt made of fabric or something more solid? Fabric would definitely move differently. Likewise knowing what the shoulder things do would depend on how they are shaped and attached. Is there some official artwork of this character? Generally more movement looks better than less.
whatever the case something as simple as moving the sprite up 1 pixel during what are usually the B and D frames, when the legs are more vertical, thus making the figure slightly taller, creates a big difference. It might be best to work out all the movements with simpler color application before going for the full gradienty treatment, at least on the shoulder lumps.
something else to watch for in a lot of those, like 3, 7 and 8, is that one leg seems to take the place of the other between frames, creating a slight impression that the leg didn't move at all.
Thats fix looks perfect! 99% of players would not care about any other errors in this edit. Man you are levels above me with drawings.
Spoiler: if you doing this
I plan to remove today few shield from other sprites.

Captain J wrote:
Lagi wrote:anyone know where is Jarewill Strife mod thread?
Very impressive shieldless version of acolyte! Now i guess we have make the original one act like Hexen's Centaur!
Nahh.. shielded would have more HP and be slower (its up to Jarewill, but this is what I would do).
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Captain J wrote:
boosh2.PNG
Some rotation fix. And yes, now the rotation can happen, i think!
thats nice J, thanks!
its now added to the sheet in my resource thread. :wink:
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Oh also i just realized that the branch of under A shouldn't exist because it's already been cut but... Ow well, pick it up wisely!

Return to “General”