[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Canned Yams

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Canned Yams »

quick little thing i did while messing around

the base gun is from the archimedes II mod for fallout 4
Attachments
firestorm original.png
firestorm original.png (16.45 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

That middle magazine part looks detailed and just pure badass. Really loving this gun!
Procket12

Post by Procket12 »

ChopBlock223 wrote:[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/mBCexUq.gif[/imgur]

So I did another gun. Somewhat similar in style to the subgun, I suppose.
It's a self-loading shotgun, a bit like the old Browning Auto-5, except instead of long-recoil, where the barrel recoils for the full length of the cartridge, it's a short-recoil gun, where the barrel recoils just for a brief moment, which is much easier to animate.
shotgun thing 009.png
Otherwise, it would similarly have the recoil spring angled into the stock, and the magazine tube under the barrel (though one could probably easily draw a magazine well and box magazine on the pickup sprite, and then animate accordingly), it even has a bit of a hump shape to the back of the receiver. I figure it could maybe hold 4 or 5 + 1.
I wanted to convey the kind of abrupt and particular recoil impulse that a short-recoil shotgun would have, and I think if you try to emulate the style of my .gif (where there's a kind of pause as the bolt hits the rear of its travel, and the barrel slides back forward), it should look about right.
I didn't do much for reload animations, but I did the angled frames just because. Feel free to work them out as you see fit, they would be rather simple, I figure.

The gun is made from the classic Doom shotguns, a single SSG barrel, the regular shotgun pump-slide, turned into a full-length handguard, the stock is based just vaguely on the Beta frame for the shotgun, the cap for the magazine tube is from the regular shotgun, the sight is based on one of the Beta/Alpha guns, the charging-handle is basically cut from a part of one of those sights and then reshaped, the muzzleflash is also from the old Beta/Alpha guns, but altered.
The pickup sprite just as well is made from the regular shotgun pickup sprites.

Anyone is free to use it as they feel like, just put my name somewhere in the credits.
It's nice sprite, but the action bit makes absolutely no sense on a shotgun. Looks wise it's a Remington 1100 which is a gas piston operated gun.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

vólentiæn wrote:a norse style axe
Oh, I like this. :D I'm big on old Norse stuff anyway, and this opens up some new mod ideas...
ChopBlock223
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 with extensive trimming and regedits.
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ChopBlock223 »

Procket12 wrote: It's nice sprite, but the action bit makes absolutely no sense on a shotgun. Looks wise it's a Remington 1100 which is a gas piston operated gun.
How does it make no sense? The Browning Auto-5 is a long-recoil shotgun, I figure it should be possible to make a short-recoil shotgun, just as well.
For appearance, I don't think it bears THAT much resemblance to a Remington 1100, beyond the full-length handguard, the 'humpback' shape on the receiver definitely is different.
XLightningStormL

Post by XLightningStormL »

ChopBlock223 wrote:
Procket12 wrote: It's nice sprite, but the action bit makes absolutely no sense on a shotgun. Looks wise it's a Remington 1100 which is a gas piston operated gun.
How does it make no sense? The Browning Auto-5 is a long-recoil shotgun, I figure it should be possible to make a short-recoil shotgun, just as well.
For appearance, I don't think it bears THAT much resemblance to a Remington 1100, beyond the full-length handguard, the 'humpback' shape on the receiver definitely is different.
He's a gun nut who whinges and assumes about stuff that doesn't matter (because apparently every fictional gun HAS to be based on some sort of real world weapon)

In a game where one guy survives hell on the moons of Mars, get's extremely pissed about his dead bunny, and becomes an angel of death.
ChopBlock223
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 with extensive trimming and regedits.

Post by ChopBlock223 »

XLightningStormL wrote: He's a gun nut who whinges and assumes about stuff that doesn't matter (because apparently every fictional gun HAS to be based on some sort of real world weapon)
In fairness, I went through the effort to describe how my weapon would operate, mostly to convey the animation frames I had in mind, so I'd be open to that kind of criticism and input.

However, you can apply basically any kind of cartridge to any kind of action, if you try hard enough, the M2HB is a .50BMG machinegun that operates on short-recoil, and that's an insanely high pressure cartridge, shotguns comparatively work on very low pressures. Some setups are easier than others to make, but as long as you get the weights, springs, and mechanical travel right, I fail to see why it can't be achieved. Short-recoil isn't common in shotguns, but it's been done, the Armalite AR-17 comes to mind (even if that's not a very great design, from an unrelated standpoint).

Maybe he's not as much as a gun nut as he thinks.
Procket12

Post by Procket12 »

ChopBlock223 wrote:
XLightningStormL wrote: He's a gun nut who whinges and assumes about stuff that doesn't matter (because apparently every fictional gun HAS to be based on some sort of real world weapon)
In fairness, I went through the effort to describe how my weapon would operate, mostly to convey the animation frames I had in mind, so I'd be open to that kind of criticism and input.

However, you can apply basically any kind of cartridge to any kind of action, if you try hard enough, the M2HB is a .50BMG machinegun that operates on short-recoil, and that's an insanely high pressure cartridge, shotguns comparatively work on very low pressures. Some setups are easier than others to make, but as long as you get the weights, springs, and mechanical travel right, I fail to see why it can't be achieved. Short-recoil isn't common in shotguns, but it's been done, the Armalite AR-17 comes to mind (even if that's not a very great design, from an unrelated standpoint).

Maybe he's not as much as a gun nut as he thinks.
I actually knew about about the AR-17. All I'm going to say is there's a good reason it never became common for shotguns, so that this doesn't degenerate into another pissing contest that seems to happen on the Carnival page from time to time.
Canned Yams

Post by Canned Yams »

aaaand its done now

(actually i could prolly do a better pickup sprite but i've never been very good at those)
Attachments
yay
yay
Graaicko
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Graaicko »

Well, I'm back at it again working on Shadow Elite. Created a AV-8B Harrier. Can't seem to nail down the color... But starting to look good.
Edits are welcome :)
Attachments
HARRA0.png
HARRA0.png (12.37 KiB) Viewed 871 times
ChopBlock223

Post by ChopBlock223 »

Pretty neat. Will it hover in place to pelt the player with 25mm cannon fire and rockets, or will it tear by at insane speeds, shattering windows and eardrums?
Canned Yams

Post by Canned Yams »

what about both...

at the SAME TIME
Attachments
wwooaahh.png
wwooaahh.png (2.41 KiB) Viewed 723 times
Master of Disasters

Post by Master of Disasters »

That makes me wonder if with ZScript we can create believable helicopter/vtol ai behaviour ala Half Life.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Yeah, some shading might come in handy with that Jet. Other than that, looks super accurate!
potetobloke

Post by potetobloke »

Graaicko wrote:Well, I'm back at it again working on Shadow Elite. Created a AV-8B Harrier. Can't seem to nail down the color... But starting to look good.
Edits are welcome :)
Canned Yams wrote:what about both...
at the SAME TIME
HIGHWAY TO THE

DANGER ZONE

Return to “General”