[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
bimshwel

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by bimshwel »

3d models tend to look boring and too shiny, indeed! at least low budget, low experience ones do (though I still only like them for monsters and special effects in film media). I would use them primarily to get all the limbs in the right places, generally make sure the poses work from all angles, and then I would use them as drawing foundations or references.
Heretic monsters are curious, because some of the monsters, most obviously the maulotaur and dark bishop, sometimes reuse the exact same bits on more than one angle. I wonder if the artists rendered some base poses and then assembled/drew the rest from what they already had. I don't expect any of that gang were constructed in real space. I presume smaller ones, like the gargoyle, were all drawn, similar to the imp in doom. Doom imp's feet look totally different in the rotations!
Not entirely the same thing, but D'Sparil's boots are still visible on some frames of Hexen's chaos serpents.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I'm pretty sure they used models as base even for some small enemies like the gargoyle. Because if you compare the Heretic gargoyle and the Hexen afrit, it's clearly the same base model but not at the same scale -- the afrit is bigger, and with a different head.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

Heretic used 3D models with paintover. Some unrefined frames are still in the game - back frames of saberclaw are obviously not painted over. As for Maulotaur, I think it was 3D model like the rest and they repainted it pixel by pixel and reused some parts for other frames because repainting it pixel by pixel would be too much work. The maul is probably mostly not repainted, just rendered.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I always thought the gargoyle wasn't a model because, like the doom imp, its front angle and back angles do not match its side angles. it seems to be shorter, more upright, moving its legs more and its arms less from the front and back. although i suppose it is possible the artist adjusted the what's-it-called, the pitch? of the model to make it look more interesting and some of the subtlety was lost in the paint-ing over. still I believe the afrit is directly upscaled from the gargoyle sprites and then the rough bits were smoothed over and the jagged edges made irrelevant when the flames were added.

The A frames facing left are literally mirrored for the C frames facing right; if the artist had gone back to a model, the wings might match but the other limbs wouldn't. I don't know why Raven put pre-mirrored sprites in the wad at all --heresiarch also has them-- other than finding the a4c6 method produced jerky animation, since the doom engine doesn't bother to mirror the pixel offsets.

I can believe that about the maulotaur finish just taking too gosh darn long and shortcuts being sought. That is also highly evident on hexen's wendigo, with all its bizarre and tedious ice muscles. And it has the old a7c7 mirroring style. It wasn't considered as high a priority to make look more post-heretic before the release date because they aren't seen often, i suppose, and when they are, they are surrounded by the same colors as themselves. And appropriately enough i never would have noticed any of this if i weren't so obsessed with looking at the graphics in wintex ages ago.
sulflix
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by sulflix »

Oh, yeah, the mirroring things for the monster sprites are mostly everywhere on the DOOM/DOOM 2 iwad.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

but that is internal mirroring; raven manually mirrored the sprites and placed them as if they were not mirrored. Doom only does that on the mancubus pain frames, for whatever/no reason.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

TommyGalano5 wrote:Weheee!! I'm back also here some sprites guys/gals.
Also I forgot who to credit.....sooo criticise me
Yo i do really love the facial difference and the gun designs!
jazzmaster9

Post by jazzmaster9 »

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether. Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel. Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended
Maiden in Black
Maiden in Black
maiden max.png (1.93 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
TommyGalano5

Post by TommyGalano5 »

Captain J wrote:
TommyGalano5 wrote:Weheee!! I'm back also here some sprites guys/gals.
Also I forgot who to credit.....sooo criticise me
Yo i do really love the facial difference and the gun designs!
Thanks Cap'n Jay also Zombie Henchman remake/dezombified next week
Skelegant
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Skelegant »

TommyGalano5 wrote: Thanks Cap'n Jay also Zombie Henchman remake/dezombified next week
Those are great, I especially like the way you coordinated the SMG guy's hair with his armor :D I think HMG did the goreless shotgunguy i used as a base for the unzombiefied guy, and I believe I made the SMG guy from the vanilla zombieman? So just credit me and HMG and you'll be good :D
lookin forward to the henchman btw, it always struck me as a lil funky like he had a dead hell knight's body and frostbitten hands, so it'll be cool to see what you do with him
Ac!d

Post by Ac!d »

Wolfenstein 3D "Berserk" in the Atari Jaguar port style
Credits : Id Software, AFADoomer
Last edited by Ac!d on Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Ac!d wrote: Wolfenstein 3D "Berserk" in the Atari Jaguar port style
Credits : Id Software, Unknow (for the moment)
My take on the skull:
sulflix

Post by sulflix »

Nice manual upscaling there doomjedi. very good spritework.
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Thanks :) Well, have much experience with manual upscaling, and projects that demanded much of such.
Ac!d

Post by Ac!d »

doomjedi wrote:My take on the skull:
Beautiful, I've just used the medikit and a Dr Schabbs' syringue rotation for the creation of this upscaled sprite, but I do bow to your expertise.
This sprite would be nice for Blade Of Agony.

Edit : The name of the original sprite was WSTRA0.

Return to “General”