[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby NeuralStunner » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:33 pm

Hearts are kind of cheesy, though...

A green cross works well enough. If you want to keep the red theme, I'd try the caduceus (even if it's a bit hard to portray in low resolution) or a solid red diamond. (A hollow one will not solve anything.)
NeuralStunner
Not "Neutral"

Discord: NeuralStunner#4201
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Gez » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:12 pm

I'm just waiting for the mod where medikits open fire on you, since they are now 8-) pillboxes.
Gez

Postby scalliano » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:59 pm

Posted these back when XBLA Doom II was released, but since we're on the subject and I can't find the original post, here are the green health packs. I remember it being pointed out that the green pharmaceutical cross isn't quite as widely recognised as I'd first thought.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scalliano
Socially Distant

Postby Enjay » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:05 pm

What palette are they in?
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby scalliano » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:17 pm

They were a simple hue remap. Nothing fancy, but they're PNGs, so they should show up in software mode OK, I think ...
scalliano
Socially Distant

Postby Gez » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:18 pm

It works better on the berserk than on the white packs, where the green doesn't contrast much.
Gez

Postby AFADoomer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:31 pm

The problem (?) with using a green cross is that it has come to mean something else in parts of the US...

For example...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Discount_Medical_Marijuana_-_2.jpg
AFADoomer

Postby Ghastly » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:39 pm

AFADoomer wrote:Medical Marijuana

So Doomguy's not fighting demons, he's just tripping out really bad! :P
Ghastly
Rather ghastly
Spotlight Team

Postby zrrion the insect » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:39 pm

I still can't get these sprites to where I'm happy with them but I feel better about this than my last two attempts.
HRCUB0.png
The bits I borrowed from Demon Eclipse's railgun still needs rust/scratches and I need to figure out how to prevent the code form breaking one of the maps It'll be used in. (the problem is essentially that the gun is too good at killing)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.

Postby Gez » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:50 pm

The green cross is there to emphasize it's supposed to be medical. A marijuana symbol would have to have five branches, as an echo of the leaf's shape.
Gez

Postby TheLightBad96 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:35 am

zrrion the insect wrote:I still can't get these sprites to where I'm happy with them but I feel better about this than my last two attempts.
HRCUB0.png
The bits I borrowed from Demon Eclipse's railgun still needs rust/scratches and I need to figure out how to prevent the code form breaking one of the maps It'll be used in. (the problem is essentially that the gun is too good at killing)

I dont see anything wrong with the overpoweredness of a weapon
TheLightBad96

Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.
Discord: Light/Crimson#4097

Postby wildweasel » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:02 am

zrrion the insect wrote: (the problem is essentially that the gun is too good at killing)

Limit the weapon's ammo intake severely. If you make the weapon "expensive" enough (whether by cranking up the ammo usage or just making the ammo rarer than gold), players will conserve the weapon instead of overpowering absolutely everything with it.
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby SyntherAugustus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:03 am

What is that gun supposed to be? Right now it looks like a centered dn3d shrink ray.
SyntherAugustus

Postby zrrion the insect » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:40 am

The way it kills things is breaking the map.
The gun fires a dummy projectile that calls A_BFGflash, which hits multiple things at the same time.
The gun is for ItDE, and on map04, when waves happen is a decision based on the number of virgins sacrificed. If you kill more than one at a time the game overlaps all 4 waves at once, spawn two of the mini-boss, and won't let the player exit the level even if all foes are vanquished. I realy like the function of the weapon, and don't want to change it, but I also don't want to completely re-work the scripting of that map.
While typing this I realized that the dummy projectile could call A_BFGflash, (with only one flash), several times with a small delay between them, preserving the function of the weapon and preventing the bug. *goes to test idea*

EDIT: That didn't work :( On the up-side, IsNaturreToDie helped out with the sprite, and after some tweaking, I think I have one that'll work.
HRCUA0.png
Last edited by zrrion the insect on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zrrion the insect
Like a fish in a child's hands.

Postby scalliano » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:11 pm

Decided to run with that cattle prod idea from ages ago. Figured it would work well as an equivalent to the lab techs for ToPII's Hell levels:
scalliano
Socially Distant

PreviousNext

Return to General