[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
bimshwel

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by bimshwel »

an update on this one was too long coming.
only five angles now but I do not think the asymmetrical highlighting was necessary.
There is something very determined and stupid about the old one that I still like, particularly on angle 7, and maybe I shall use it as a base for another imbecile eventually.
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

bimshwel wrote: an update on this one was too long coming.
This one feels really cute and well done, almost makes me wish for a family friendly game.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

The older one resembles Sega Genesis style and i do personal like the both. Really love how flawless and seamless your walkcycle animations are.
KynikossDragonn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KynikossDragonn »

bimshwel wrote:an update on this one was too long coming.
only five angles now but I do not think the asymmetrical highlighting was necessary.
There is something very determined and stupid about the old one that I still like, particularly on angle 7, and maybe I shall use it as a base for another imbecile eventually
Will Pog ever come to the conclusion of where it came from?
Bjecinst
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Bjecinst »

bimshwel wrote:Image
an update on this one was too long coming.
oogh, knocking it out of the park once again with the wonderful painterly-like animations!

decided to animate the elephant rifle i posted, sound warning as it's actually pretty damn loud

yes, the cartoon reload sounds are a rare chance, as is the alt fire causing the weapon to fly out of your hands :p
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

those are some big bullets.

The new animation of the purple creature known since 199x as "pog" (I may have stolen the name from a Breath of Fire monster) is based on how I drew in a flash animation circa 2016 so I assumed it was most accurate. I didn't even think to check its old animation until I was putting together the gif of that in aseprite, whose default playback speed is faster than I 2003ily intended and seeing it that way made me suddenly like it more than previously! even if it looks like something more deliberately violent than pog. within the zdoom context it only stomps up to the player or whoever hit it last and then stops and stares, obstructing the path, and explodes destructively if hit more times, as initially it replaced the barrels.
I don't know if the mess overall is "family friendly" but my six year old niece was obsessed with making me replay my test zones repeatedly in order to keep punishing the foolish beasts.
TommyGalano5

Post by TommyGalano5 »

Hmm I'm having fun with the UAC Marines again, this time I'm thinking of making a swimming Marine for immersion purposes.

And also Ascension
Attachments
Untitled153_20211010203713.png
nova++

Post by nova++ »

I guess I might as well poke my head in here and show off some of the supposedly-sprites I've done so far...

The workflow for my project is one that tries to replicate the look and feel of stop motion animated miniatures, done in blender with physical materials where possible and rendered. Eventually I plan on going through and cleaning everything up by hand where needed (you can easily see a number of the spots, just odd pixel placements etc), but for the most part I've been trying to get things that come out of the render script usable straight away -

They are quite incompatible with stock doom sprites for two reasons - first they are done at quite a higher pixel density as is done with the rest of my project, secondly and more importantly they do not obey the usual doom 1.2x aspect ratio scale as I have bypassed that where possible because I hate dealing with it.

And for reference, the actual blender views:

As you can see, you can get away with a lot of terrible modeling practices this way 👍 I suppose to a degree I feel like I'm cheating with this method instead of employing the actual artistry of doing them by hand...
TommyGalano5 wrote:swimming Marine for immersion purposes.
eheheh heheh
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I make all my sprites at 10 times the usual doom scale and then define the actor with "scale .1" (or lately I have, anyway) and don't think about the aspect ratio difference at all. You can specify a different horizontal and vertical scale also, so if the aspect ratio difference is important to you, the game can sort that out for you. I think those would work quite well if put in a wad extremely large and then scaled down inside the game.
nova++

Post by nova++ »

It's done more for world textures than monster sprites - the fact I don't have to fuss with it for monsters is just kind of a bonus on top of not having to squash any circular features in the environment to make them appear properly in-game. That is a whole other topic, though...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

While these sprites are already big compared to their Doom counterparts, I agree that they could be bigger still. For example, with the first monster, it's easy to tell from the blender hi-res render what is going on with his head but at the sprite resolution, I'm not sure that I would have figured it out because it's quite an unusual appearance and so I need to see it properly to understand it.

I take it that you are aware that it is possible to change the pixel ratio of a map? If not, putting
Pixelratio = 1.0
in your map definition will do it.
nova++

Post by nova++ »

Enjay wrote:While these sprites are already big compared to their Doom counterparts, I agree that they could be bigger still. For example, with the first monster, it's easy to tell from the blender hi-res render what is going on with his head but at the sprite resolution, I'm not sure that I would have figured it out because it's quite an unusual appearance and so I need to see it properly to understand it.

I take it that you are aware that it is possible to change the pixel ratio of a map? If not, putting
Pixelratio = 1.0
in your map definition will do it.
1. That's kind of the intent. I am evoking an era in the style I am going for, where there is a lot left open to interpretation, hiding in the crunchy pixels.

2. I am aware, yeah. However, as my project is wholly standalone, and I've already got some source code modifications going on, it was a lot less hassle to just bypass it at the root of the matter in a few key places, especially for weapon sprites as the only alternative there is to manually set a scale factor for every frame.

Not saying anyone else has to abide by that rule - I just don't personally feel like being beholden to a weird VGA mode from 30 years ago as it is not only non-critical for my intended artsyle (even if that art style is of the same era), but a hindrance to the development process due to the previously mentioned annoyances.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I don't think anybody is beholden to a weird vga mode; most people don't even notice there is a ratio difference until it is pointed out. Or I sure didn't, until literally last month or thereabouts, and I STILL don't notice it as applied to my own sprites that I made prior to or after that. And as noted you can turn it off. are you just mentioning it at all as part of the overall lore of "evoking an era" ?
pogsplode300.gif
pogsplode300.gif (127.08 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
i suppose I don't need to understand everything. I can't claim to understand this.
old pogsplode.gif
old pogsplode.gif (15.82 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
but I do know that I like it better than the old version!
KynikossDragonn
Operating System Version (Optional): Void Linux

Post by KynikossDragonn »

Pog sure looks angry about exploding!
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

I'm sure it is just a phase.

Return to “General”