[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by Nmn »

osjclatchford wrote:been playing around with this last night.
Looks a lot better than the stuff I've made for KDiZD ;) over 15 years ago, but back then I could't really do anything else but guns :D
Anyway,
osjclatchford wrote:if anyone can tweak these to look better I'd eternally appreciate it...
Eternally eh? Ok, I took a stab at it.

I hope it's not too tall right now, hmm 36 pixels maybe a bit too tall.
I changed the pose basically and added the a4a6 rotation frame, so now they can be sitted in armchairs or on beds. Yours is a great effort, only I keep having the feeling that he would just slide over, and the legs in frame a3a7 were a bit too short. Basically painted over here and there, just some quick stuff that I think looks a bit more solid.

Let me explain my idea:

Observing hammered people around town at New Year's we can get the idea of a dead person slumped over. In the first pose - A - once the person is unconsciouss/dead it loses all motor support and just collapses down with gravity. Slumped forward, the person would just slide to the side, or forward, as there's nothing to keep them suspended from gravity except for spinal muscles, meaning they still must be semi-consciouss. In the second pose- B -, the body is rested against a wall and cannot slide down, unless the floor is highly polished (ceramic tiles, ice) and they would just slide to a laying position. Only the head is tilted forwards by the gravity.

So the pain state is actually a better base for this kind of a hunched backwards against a wall type of thing. There are also slumped sprites in the wad Nimrod, done by Unholy Software, a lot of stuff done by ebola/Kristus, whom I deeply respect as an artist.

I purposely edited only the sarge frames since I wanna see you have a try at the other characters :D I hope you'll have fun with it like I did.
DoomJedi wrote:I did such work for Project Brutality
Heeey you're the guy who worked on Wolf3d mods Operation Eisenfaust Origins and Eisenfaust Legacy! I loved those mods and love your work dude! Keep spritin! :D
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

so,

1) thanks a million. eternal gratefullness is now yours.
2) thats all true and I was thinking as such as i finished it...
and
3) "I purposely edited only the sarge frames since I wanna see you have a try at the other characters :D I hope you'll have fun with it like I did."

uh, no... Im done with these! was doing this from 8 till gone midnight last night and it drove m,e crazy. although your work is amazing and looks so much better there's no way in hell i'll be able to create something good enough to match so i'm not gonna waste my time ruining it and upsetting myself. (a mans got to know his limitations) this is why i posted it in the state it was because I know I've taken it as far as I can.

if someone else wants to continue it please do with my blessing! LOL

seriously good work though man. fantastic...
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Oh well... sure, I can understand ya.

So maybe someone else'll use them to their liking. Maybe I'll use it for something, who knows ;)

Anyway, I wanna help others with their sprites, so keep postin', people. N's watching this thread.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

please dont get me wrong I love what you've done but i just know Im close to burn-out on these...
enjay made agood point about the slumped forward pose could also make them good for free standing objects, away from walls but between the two of you have pointed out valid flaws in the sprites. , legs too short, height inconsistencies and position inconsistancies. i will probably do more work to them but not to the level you have, ;) I think I'll concentrate on my original folded over pose, but tweak the errors here and there...
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Nmn wrote:
DoomJedi wrote:I did such work for Project Brutality
Heeey you're the guy who worked on Wolf3d mods Operation Eisenfaust Origins and Eisenfaust Legacy! I loved those mods and love your work dude! Keep spritin! :D
:oops: :oops: Oh, man, that celebrity feeling....feels so bad to feel so good 8-)
Thank you, appreciate your support :)

We're btw closing to finish Origins - Remastered Edition, so keep following :)
Huge list of changes, features and improvements, and quite some new maps too :)
Keep spritin!
Never planned to stop..."Blade of Agony" final release is not too far away, joined "Project Brutality" recently...too much art, too little time :)
Eternally eh? Ok, I took a stab at it.
Maybe those can even be animated between to two poses, for sort of suffering or gameplay interaction.
Nmn

Post by Nmn »

@osjclatchford - dude, no hurt feelings ;) this, spriting and Doom, is all pleasure for us, no deadlines or debt to pay.
enjay made agood point about the slumped forward pos
Can you perhaps point me to that? I'm keen on learning new stuff.

@DoomJedi - Remastered edition?! Will definitely google it up :)
Never planned to stop...
I did once :( That was a mistake.
Maybe those can even be animated between to two poses, for sort of suffering or gameplay interaction.
You mean like the impaled and hanging twitching bodies in Doom?
You know, now that I've sprite that, I'm having an urge to actually try to sprite a doomish humanoid character without use of models.
Only right now I need to look for yet another survival job :(
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Nmn wrote:@osjclatchford - dude, no hurt feelings ;) this, spriting and Doom, is all pleasure for us, no deadlines or debt to pay.
enjay made agood point about the slumped forward pos
Can you perhaps point me to that? I'm keen on learning new stuff.
yeah its only sprites n all that but i realised i might have seemed a little dissmissive of your work on the original kdizd sprites and just wanted to clear any smegginess you may or may not have felt abot that...

oh and viewtopic.php?f=60&t=69166
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

Nmn wrote: @DoomJedi - Remastered edition?! Will definitely google it up :)
Spoiler:
You mean like the impaled and hanging twitching bodies in Doom?
Yeah (did a few versions for Brutality recently), or gameplay interaction to bullet damage or whatever. Maybe back and forth on continued chaingun shoot.
SLON
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by SLON »

doomjedi wrote: I've got different impression on that community, very nice community, supportive, big Doom fans, never had issues there.
Where do people constantly talk about politics, post idiotic propaganda (communist-ish) videos, and ban all those who disagree? Ohhhh...
doomjedi

Post by doomjedi »

SLON wrote:Where do people constantly talk about politics, post idiotic propaganda (communist-ish) videos, and ban all those who disagree? Ohhhh...
This is just one of many forums I visit (almost daily though), and I don't have time to read it all and I tend to focus on areas of modding (Doom/Brutal Doom/Freedoom etc) and not politics and such general chat, and I'm not a person supportive of any propaganda and such.
So I don't claim to know it all or to be fully objective, I'm many years on that forum, and never had a "fight" with anyone there, people were supportive of my projects, and even criticism was constructive (I even have 5 medals there). I was telling "my" (limited but long-time) experience on it...in the areas and topics I tend to hang out in more.
I can understand someone else having a different experience. Though at least in some cases (know it from real people I know in real life) - some people seem to attract/find/meet controversy in life more than others (not talking about anyone in particular).
And I do know how poisonous and toxic some modding communities can become, there was at least one retro community I seriously considered leaving due to that.
bimshwel

Post by bimshwel »

ziv walking angles.gif
tentative walking frames for a creature deliberately resembling the orange lizard being from this cartoon fragment. actually creating this scene in the doom engine, the thing that the cartoon was originally created to circumvent my attempts at doing, seems like it may yet be necessary, but also possible with developments from the past few years, regardless of whether my accomplishing it is feasible!
It is mostly red here because I intend to translate its colors to a proper orange via its decorate definition, but using doom palette oranges, which are in two different places, would make recycling this for other generic lizards more complicated!
I wondered about the feasibility of making the body separate and creating two sets of heads for it, since the other lizard is nearly identical, but I never saw an example which made me think zdoom could handle that well.

ten frames is probably too many, but i used the blue dope i showed earlier as a foundation, to make figuring out the leg motions easier, and forget it had ten frames. Eight wouldn't be noticeably less animated and would be more mathematically consistent with other doom-engine business.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

good-god, that's cute! and so smoothly animated!

I did go back to these again:
rotated deeed v4.png
rotated deeed v4.png (26.28 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
I stuck to the slumped forward pose as I felt they could also be used against doors/lifts and not look odd when/if the door/lift opens/lowers. also can be freestanding. yes they probably would slide tot he side in real life but, meh, wattayagonnado!
frames 4/6 implemented now so i guess they're good to go.
please use if you wish...
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

That chaingunner one is the best, yet good looking. Now i wonder if pinkies have right body anatomy to sit down and bleed like the rest of them... But just saying! :D
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

bimshwel wrote:ziv walking angles.gif
As a rule, "cutesy" games are just not my cup of lapsang souchong. However, I can't deny that's an damned fine sprite. Amazing top quality stuff there, absolutely top quality.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Captain J wrote:Now i wonder if pinkies have right body anatomy to sit down and bleed like the rest of them... But just saying! :D
Yeah.. I think not as it's a very different shape, but that's just me saying that... If anyone else is up for that then fair play to em. This was enough of a grind for me lol...

Return to “General”