[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby DOOMPiter » Thu May 26, 2022 12:19 pm

...When will someone make a mod called "Too Many Beta Super Shotguns"? I made enough Beta SSG-Related edits for a full mod to be made about it at this point lmfao

DE_StormShotgun.png

(Credits: Eriance/Amuscaria)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DOOMPiter
Beta Content Enthusiast

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 32-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Postby Bjecinst » Thu May 26, 2022 10:44 pm

welp, im in no way good at animation of human body shapes but i think i did pretty good franken-spriting together jump and crouch frames for karl/steve :D
(if you guys wanna take a crack at animating the 3 other frames of the crouch (ie, crouch walking) then be my guest ^^)
Bjecinst
aw hell yeah

Discord: | if youre reading this i need your help
Twitch ID: | im stuck inside of the funny
Github ID: | caption factory and i cant get out :(
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Gez » Fri May 27, 2022 6:08 am

Now we need the dancing animation.

You know, that one:
Gez

Postby EmperorGrieferus » Fri May 27, 2022 6:53 am

Today, I found some stock flame animation frames and decided to draw them for OSJC's torches.
Feel free to toy around (And doomify it, since I'm too lazy).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EmperorGrieferus

Postby Xim » Fri May 27, 2022 11:23 am

Thought I'd share my edit of the civilian guy. I had the idea of making each part of him more easily recolored. I was making my own game and I did this for the NPCs too.

And here it is in the doom palette
Spoiler:

And the standalonegame ipk3 palette
Spoiler:

You should be able to recolor the palette versions with the "Translation" property, for example, you can try something like: Translation "160:167=9:12", "0:0=5:8", "48:79=64:79", "112:127=240:247", "192:207=96:111", "240:247=5:8", and have a new looking character with the same sprite. You should still be able to translate to RGB colors too. So something like Translation "160:167=[128,64,0]:[0,0,0]", "48:79=[204,174,140]:[57,43,26]", "112:127=[0,64,128]:[0,28,55]", "192:207=[0,202,202]:[0,53,53]", "240:247=[0,47,47]:[0,10,10]" should work too.
Xim

Postby Enjay » Fri May 27, 2022 11:42 am

Looking good there. More civilians = good IMO.

Xim wrote:You should still be able to translate to RGB colors too.

As I understand it, if a translation is specified, the game will effectively fit the sprite to the Doom (or game) palette forst, otherwise it has no way of knowing which indices to map to which colour. The colours they are mapped to can still be any colour, of course.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Xim » Fri May 27, 2022 1:11 pm

You may be right, regardless you can still get a pretty decent variety of recolors from it. Here's a quick example I put together.
Xim

Postby Enjay » Fri May 27, 2022 1:30 pm

Oh, absolutely. I merely meant that, for translations, the fact that the sprite is in RGB isn't that much of an issue (provided the colours convert well to a good range in the game palette). You can convert that range to almost limitless* colours though.

*the main limit being how many colours are in the "from" range, because that's how many colours it can be translated to.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Fri May 27, 2022 7:26 pm

ThrashfanBert1994 wrote:heres the sniper rifle based off the combo from doom ii RPG

Looks great, i just wanted to point out to you i'm not using that nick anymore. Also, Sgt. Shivers had a significant part on that centered Doom 3 SMG, so his name would be needed in there too.

:thumb:
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby Craneo » Fri May 27, 2022 8:42 pm

"Nicknamed "Cacosaw" by UAC Marines and other Survivors, this weapon is actually not an actual Cacodemon (not a common one atleast) but rather a Hellgrowth-Caco hybrid of very cowardly nature, who has taken the appareance of a Chainsaw in order to feed itself off the blood of whatever gets killed with it, it's blades are not such but rather almost metallic hardened teeth that spin at high speeds, they also deal plasmatic damage, similar to the Cacodemon's projectile attack, one must be careful when handling such an entity as we at the UAC research facility do not know whenever this living being can or not corrupt or harm it's user."
Credits (some names could be wrong or miscredited, sorry...): Amuscaria (?), Hidfan, Zrrion the Insect, Vader(?)
Craneo
Arachnotrons are cute!

Discord: Craneo#8693

Postby RKD » Sat May 28, 2022 6:46 am

B-but... why??

I admit it's hilarious, tho.
RKD

Postby Craneo » Sat May 28, 2022 9:24 am

RKD wrote:B-but... why??

I admit it's hilarious, tho.

I had the idea while out on a walk thinking about DRLA's Commando class and how it's melee based, and how like, what kind of melee weapons it could have, at first I thought a "holy chainsaw" type thing, but found that one more difficult to do, so I thought maybe a "demonic chainsaw", but felt like a "dark chainsaw" would be somewhat generic and boring, then I thought it could be alive, like some sort of living flesh chainsaw, and that's how it came to be.
Craneo
Arachnotrons are cute!

Discord: Craneo#8693

Postby peewee_RotA » Sat May 28, 2022 2:00 pm

Craneo wrote:I had the idea while out on a walk thinking about DRLA's Commando class and how it's melee based, and how like, what kind of melee weapons it could have, at first I thought a "holy chainsaw" type thing, but found that one more difficult to do, so I thought maybe a "demonic chainsaw", but felt like a "dark chainsaw" would be somewhat generic and boring, then I thought it could be alive, like some sort of living flesh chainsaw, and that's how it came to be.

Seems both necessary and proper. Carry on.
peewee_RotA

Postby bimshwel » Sat May 28, 2022 4:07 pm

The serpent staff in Hexen appears to be alive, might as well have a whole living arsenal.
bimshwel
only as old as I feel, and I feel like dirt

Discord: bimshwel #7516

Postby RKD » Sat May 28, 2022 9:58 pm

Craneo wrote:I had the idea while out on a walk thinking about DRLA's Commando class and how it's melee based, and how like, what kind of melee weapons it could have, at first I thought a "holy chainsaw" type thing, but found that one more difficult to do, so I thought maybe a "demonic chainsaw", but felt like a "dark chainsaw" would be somewhat generic and boring, then I thought it could be alive, like some sort of living flesh chainsaw, and that's how it came to be.

That was a grandoise chain of thoughts. You convinced me this needs to be properly implemented.

Now, should its eye be flipped, to give the impression it's looking upwards instead of directly facing the player? Serious question. :geek:
RKD

PreviousNext

Return to General