[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
torridgristle

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by torridgristle »

Messing around with a model of John Cena. It might not show up well but he's supposed to be firing a laser from his finger.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Ha! Chuck norris can fire much bigger laser that that!...

Okay, this looks nice and the first time i saw this, i thought he was some kind of superhero sprite i unheard of.
DenisBelmondo

Post by DenisBelmondo »

CeeJay wrote: I think those cyan fonts would look better with a darker shade of cyan as outline. I dunno, just looks weird with the black and even weirder when comparing to the red ones that do feature a darker shade as outline.
Yeah I agree. I think that's why I did that when translating it to red, since the black outline was a little gross. I thought I'd include it though since that's how the default font looks and I didn't want to mess with it.
MetallicaSepultura

Post by MetallicaSepultura »

tried again to render one of the weapons (the MachineGun) with an higher resolution, i know DOOM has more little sprites, but:
1) they looked too grainy and little
2) Angst Rahz Revenge (and Hades 2) have more bigger and defined sprites

Image Dithering 16 colors, used in Doom with Textures Lump
Evilfish6666

Post by Evilfish6666 »

Arctangent wrote:
Graaicko wrote:Because its a character for doom/wolf3d that's why. why don't you edited it to you're desire then post it here.
Well, yes. Clearly all characters in both Doom and Wolfenstein 3D are all women with tits the size of their head that wear fanservice-y casual clothes in a game where combat is literally the only option, and have nipples that could probably cut through steel yet somehow don't poke holes through said clothes despite probably being extremely thin fabric. I'm surprised I didn't catch onto this connection earlier, it seems so obvious now.
Yeah, pretty sure you need to let this go...
Seems your just being critical for the sake of it rather than giving a rational opinion or tips to improve it, He's sinced changed it and still you bitch, kinda not cool.
torridgristle wrote: Messing around with a model of John Cena. It might not show up well but he's supposed to be firing a laser from his finger.
Looks cool, the colors remind me of the dude from that movie Kickass :P
adamaH_oriH

Post by adamaH_oriH »

Nevander wrote:
Gamer With Dignity wrote:I took a crack at making sprites for a boss monster today.

Jabba the Tank!
God dangit, you stole my words-
wait... is that... a HEALTHBAR?!

HOW?!
Solid Steak

Post by Solid Steak »

Been trying to work on a centered version of Doom Nukem's Desert eagle.
Attachments
Newdeagle.png
Newdeagle.png (22.98 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
adamaH_oriH

Post by adamaH_oriH »

so, I examined the vader sprites from SSW, they're... not bad!

but here's the problem:
they're too low res, I'd scale them, but It would kill some quality...
also, I'm not that good at making 360 rotation sprites for complex sprites. apparently It was a MIRACLE, that I was able to do Hiro's 360.

I'll see what I can do...

I'm now back on Imgur. I will update my previous post about the dalek sprites and whatnot shortly.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

YukesVonFaust wrote: Image
an Enhancing replacement for the Berettas from Aracnocide.
Creds to Mike12 and Monolith (hands).
NEAT. Can't wait to see what else you've got.

;) I'm ATM incorporating your stuff, what a coincidence.

Ripped from Lab3D by TorridGristle, handed by me (Monolith's Blood game).

Looks like a Tokarev, doesn't it? Graaicko, you're a weapon geek, like your avatar says, so, what you think?
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

Lost all my confidence to proceed with my project after making this terrible "sprite".
I think i'll try the 3d route, i wonder if i can make blender render sharp cartoon-like lightning...
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

It won't look as good as hand-drawn unless you spend a lot of time getting the normals just right, but it's still fun to play with. Check out this free guide on comic style renders. This talks about using matcaps in ZBrush for a comic shaded look which you can do in Blender by mapping the texture to normals instead of UV which is the same technology aside from ZBrush allows you to create the texture in the program while with Blender you'll be better off using GIMP or Photoshop or something to create the matcap texture. Also, matcaps are sometimes called litspheres as that was their original name in the paper they were described in.

Here's some silly stuff I did using a matcap harvested from a Kirby sprite for a cartoon look.

It's incredibly flawed and would require a lot of tweaking of the normals to get it smooth but for just slapping the matcap I made on and then paletting it, it's not terrible.

There's also Blender's internal Toon diffuse shader but that's really inflexible and you're better off with Lambert and a colour ramp. If you set the colour ramp to constant for blocked colours then enable full-sampling AA to get smooth edges on it, otherwise use two points close together on the ramp. Here's a page with a bit of info on basic toon shaders.

Also I remember seeing a cool demo of some simple settings for an anime render, they got non-black shadows coloured per object by setting an ambient colour, which shows up when ambient light is enabled in the world settings, or emit colour, which just shows up always. This allowed them to texture in purple shadows for skin and dark green shadows for clothes, etc.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

Very interesting, i was playing with the toon styles in blender's materials, threw together a crappy recreation of the heart wand:
Tomorrow i'll check out those links when i feel more refreshed, thanks!
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

It's supposed to be a Doom 64 Shotgun made into the Doom4 Combat Shotgun.
Attachments
D4D64Shotgun.png
D4D64Shotgun.png (3.62 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
CWolf

Post by CWolf »

next rotation will be much more easy to make.
nakkemake

Post by nakkemake »

Solid Steak wrote:Been trying to work on a centered version of Doom Nukem's Desert eagle.
I shortened it a bit, giving it a bit more realistic look imo.

Return to “General”