ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Postby The BMFG » Wed May 19, 2021 8:26 am

I have always had fantasies about making a mod where you jump around with a rocket launcher being a total badass blowing shit up. dual smgs with grenade launchers. flying imp and zombieman bits everywhere. dashing around headbutting pinkies till their heads fucking explode. gojira blasting like hell in the background. just basically the most badass mod ever
The BMFG

Discord: The BMFG #8287
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Artman2004 » Thu May 20, 2021 9:31 pm

3D Monster Maze seems like it could make for an excellent idea for a Doom mod. In fact, it could probably be a Wolf 3D mod, too.
Artman2004

Postby George Grandforth » Thu May 27, 2021 2:24 pm

I want to commission someone to edit Hellspawn 1.11 for me (viewtopic.php?f=43&t=54133) to certain parameters. The edits I need for Hellspawn 1.11 seem simple but tedious (for me to do) so I am willing to reimburse the modder a little bit, nothing crazy, but just so you're not coming out with nothing. In the future I may be commissioning more mods. Don't hesitate to DM me if you are willing.
George Grandforth

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Thu May 27, 2021 9:15 pm

Small idea for mods with lots of weapon commands:

Make it so you have only one key called "Weapon Function".
Create a token for the weapons to check and define it on the gun states that:

Weapon Function + W (or your moving forward key) = Function 1
Weapon Function + S (or your moving backwards key) = Function 2
Weapon Function + A (or your moving left key) = Function 3
Weapon Function + D (or your moving right key) = Function 4

phantombeta brought an interesting point: the player might hit the wrong keys during stress, so it could be possible to add a delay that, if the player don't hold the keys for a short period of time, it goes back to idle.

In DECORATE, i achieved something like that with my Spawn: Path to Damnation mod. It goes like this:

Code: Select allExpand view
WeaponFunction:
    "####" "#" 0 A_JumpIf(GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_SIDEMOVE)>0,"State1") //Move Left
    "####" "#" 0 A_JumpIf(GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_SIDEMOVE)<0,"State2") //Move Right
    "####" "#" 0 A_JumpIf(!GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_SIDEMOVE)!=0 && GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_FORWARDMOVE)>0,"State3") //Move forward
    "####" "#" 0 A_JumpIf(!GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_SIDEMOVE)!=0 && GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_FORWARDMOVE)<0,"State4") //Move backwards

instead of binding 4 keys, making 4 tokens to check, 4 ACS types, 4 differently named states to be mentioned, etc etc etc...
I usually would put these in a master weapon every other weapon inherits from. It might be much cleaner to redirect and understand (and the player might access them much easier, which is important).

Have fun.
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby TheRailgunner » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:44 pm

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Small idea for mods with lots of weapon commands:

Make it so you have only one key called "Weapon Function".
Create a token for the weapons to check and define it on the gun states that:

Weapon Function + W (or your moving forward key) = Function 1
Weapon Function + S (or your moving backwards key) = Function 2
Weapon Function + A (or your moving left key) = Function 3
Weapon Function + D (or your moving right key) = Function 4

phantombeta brought an interesting point: the player might hit the wrong keys during stress, so it could be possible to add a delay that, if the player don't hold the keys for a short period of time, it goes back to idle.

In DECORATE, i achieved something like that with my Spawn: Path to Damnation mod. It goes like this:

Code: Select allExpand view
WeaponFunction:
    "####" "#" 0 A_JumpIf(GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_SIDEMOVE)>0,"State1") //Move Left
    "####" "#" 0 A_JumpIf(GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_SIDEMOVE)<0,"State2") //Move Right
    "####" "#" 0 A_JumpIf(!GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_SIDEMOVE)!=0 && GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_FORWARDMOVE)>0,"State3") //Move forward
    "####" "#" 0 A_JumpIf(!GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_SIDEMOVE)!=0 && GetPlayerInput(MODINPUT_FORWARDMOVE)<0,"State4") //Move backwards

instead of binding 4 keys, making 4 tokens to check, 4 ACS types, 4 differently named states to be mentioned, etc etc etc...
I usually would put these in a master weapon every other weapon inherits from. It might be much cleaner to redirect and understand (and the player might access them much easier, which is important).

Have fun.

I feel attacked - brutally and savagely, given no quarter, mercy, clemency, or retreat. Just absolutely despoiled and ravaged.

So, yeah, I definitely needed to see this idea - gonna play around with it in Malice and see if I can par down the nine weapon state functions to just five or so (Weapon States 1, 2, 3, and 4 should remain separate - although, I could also have directional inputs govern which type of melee attack is triggered by WS1; I could even assign the Quick Grenade to WS1+Directional Key Back, since there's no real reason to use a melee attack while backpedaling). Also, thank you for putting this out there - definitely inventive!
TheRailgunner
Words go here.

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:18 pm

I am glad you saw some use for it! Your Malice mod is a hell of an experience, hope this will be useful for you. ;)

EDIT: I forgot to specify how i achieved this code too; the core of it was made by willkuer in his Demon Slayer 1887 mod; it was originally used for a short dodge-strafe move for the fists. And i thought that was awesome.

EDIT 2: Hang on, don't take it as a direct mention! I just wanted to simplify stuff for modders :p
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby CherubCorps » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:07 am

I've had this idea for awhile for a mod called "Flower power". The concept is that scattered on different textures and objects are flowers that can be used to give your weapons enchantments (Ex: more damage, life steal, ice damage, increased rate of fire, exploding bullets etc). The catch is that once you imbue a flower into a gun, you can no longer pick up ammo for that weapon until you use up all the ammo for that weapon which then destroys the flower. At this point, your weapon is vanilla and you can pick up ammo as well as imbue the gun with a new flower.

The big thing about this mod is that it would be a weapon mod that can be attached to other weapon mods. If you've played the mod "Champions" which adds random effects to enemies regardless if they're vanilla or not, "Flower Power" I picture being like that, but for guns.
CherubCorps

Discord: CherubCorp#1153
Twitch ID: www.twitch.tv/cherubcorp

Postby TheRailgunner » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:06 pm

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:I am glad you saw some use for it! Your Malice mod is a hell of an experience, hope this will be useful for you. ;)

EDIT: I forgot to specify how i achieved this code too; the core of it was made by willkuer in his Demon Slayer 1887 mod; it was originally used for a short dodge-strafe move for the fists. And i thought that was awesome.

EDIT 2: Hang on, don't take it as a direct mention! I just wanted to simplify stuff for modders :p

I know - I probably should've put "/s" after the first sentence - I just felt like my mod (really, my mods in general) suffer from an overabundance of weapon function keys, and, thus, would be the perfect example of a mod that would directly benefit from this. :P

So, I came across this YouTube channel recently - a 3D animator who seems to work primarily on first-person weapon stuff. A lot of Hyper's videos feature very Sgt. Shivers-esque reloads and other absurdities, like this really big Glock:

So...yeah - a project revolving around Sgt. Shivers and HyperMetal101 reloads/weapon animations. Also, big Glock.
TheRailgunner
Words go here.

Postby Shatter-Thought[V-4] » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:21 pm

Well, I have too many ideas, but one I had thought out a little more then others that I'd like to throw out is a fishing item/equipment mod.

The premise is this mod lets a player use a fishing rod item to cast into pools of waste/lava/water to acquire fish that are used to supplement their general item gathering.

In example one fish would have tough leathery skin and increase armor by 50, another simply heals the player between 12-23, another is "filled with bullets" and gives the player a smattering of ammo not much unlike a backpack, while another gives a player short lived stealth/berzerk, but the powerups both are shorter then their normal contemporaries.

I think it would also be interesting if some enemies were replaced by small "ponds" where the player can still cast their fishing rod into, which can let players fish for something if there is no pool of "liquid" around.
Shatter-Thought[V-4]

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Previous

Return to General