ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Postby Craftsdwarf » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:43 am

A fully-open community project with no central premise.
People can modify and add whatever they want as long it does not violate the forum rules and adheres to basic quality standards defined by the host.
Craftsdwarf

Discord: ADÆMONÖOB#7883
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.8 or later
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:16 pm

Craftsdwarf wrote:A fully-open community project with no central premise.
People can modify and add whatever they want as long it does not violate the forum rules and adheres to basic quality standards defined by the host.
I tend to find people need at least a little impetus to do anything, and maybe a little assurance that their contribution won't get trashed the next day or used in a way that's totally antithetical to the aesthetic and narrative of what they had wanted to achieve.

The best I can imagine is nothing, because the worst and second most likely I can imagine is a /b/-esque cesspool of lulz and "ironic" badness.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:05 am

I thought i posted this idea already, but it seems that i didn't.

There was this project i thought that was called "Crew: Expendable". Originally an Aliens project with multiple classes and lots of Xenomorphs for the average player to blast, and blah blah blah. The project stopped when i started to think:

"How am i going to make each class feel different?"
"Will i be able to provide different weapons for everyone?"
"what will be a good BFG? a good Rocket Launcher?" and so on, and on.

But after playing a mod by TerminusEst13 (always him!) i had some insights on enemy replacements. Why replace every class? In "Buttpain", Term uses dead marine bodies to spawn very tough enemies. So why not use few spots and spawn tough xenos so it'll make the game feel different?

That was going through my head now. =p
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby Lagi » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:24 pm

Matt wrote:
Craftsdwarf wrote:A fully-open community project with no central premise.
I tend to find people need at least a little impetus to do anything, and maybe a little assurance that their contribution won't get trashed the next day or used in a way that's totally antithetical to the aesthetic and narrative of what they had wanted to achieve.

The best I can imagine is nothing, because the worst and second most likely I can imagine is a /b/-esque cesspool of lulz and "ironic" badness.

yes,

did you make a page for HD heretic yet? Im hype for that... just to read the list of wish feature that "somone" could implement :D
Lagi

Postby Matt » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:00 am

I've always treated this thread as the trash pile for ideas that are abandoned by their originators as doomed to go nowhere, so...
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby nes bros » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:09 am

aww man, HH(hideous heretic) or HD(heretic destructor) would be really fun, I guess it's left up to the various modders of the HDest community. it's fun to think about though...
nes bros
some idiot online

Discord: Nes_brosYT(forgot what the discrim was)
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Caligari87 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:19 am

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:I thought i posted this idea already, but it seems that i didn't.

There was this project i thought that was called "Crew: Expendable". Originally an Aliens project with multiple classes and lots of Xenomorphs for the average player to blast, and blah blah blah.

Each class only gets to use one weapon. Each time you find a fellow marine, they turn into a "follower", and swapping to that weapon swaps into their body for you to control

So you start off as a pistol marine, then you find your buddy who has a shotgun. Now you have two playable characters, one with a pistol, one with a shotgun. If your pistol marine dies, you can only play the shotgun marine. Proceed until you have an entire squad, each one with a unique weapon to help battle against the xeno horde.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Postby leileilol » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:16 pm

Matt wrote:The best I can imagine is nothing, because the worst and second most likely I can imagine is a /b/-esque cesspool of lulz and "ironic" badness.

Either that or eternal programmer art. A directionless project running on "would be cool" fuel like this would be a regretful hard lesson in the end.
leileilol
ダークエルフ!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:11 pm

Caligari87 wrote:
Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:I thought i posted this idea already, but it seems that i didn't.

There was this project i thought that was called "Crew: Expendable". Originally an Aliens project with multiple classes and lots of Xenomorphs for the average player to blast, and blah blah blah.

Each class only gets to use one weapon. Each time you find a fellow marine, they turn into a "follower", and swapping to that weapon swaps into their body for you to control

So you start off as a pistol marine, then you find your buddy who has a shotgun. Now you have two playable characters, one with a pistol, one with a shotgun. If your pistol marine dies, you can only play the shotgun marine. Proceed until you have an entire squad, each one with a unique weapon to help battle against the xeno horde.

8-)

The idea is great! I think i could execute that first part, but thr problem lies when the player dies :p
Dr_Cosmobyte
Also known as: GAA1992

Postby SNDMN » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:41 am

I want to implement Vanilla GZ DooM 4.5.
That is, the graphics and settings should be the same as in the official DooM ports from Bethesda.

There were no unnecessary menu items and so on. So that the player inside the game cannot turn on the mouse bow, so that he cannot turn on the console, and so on .. So that all menu items and under the menu are written in Doom font.

Is it possible to connect third-party mods inside the running GZDooM or is it done only using the command line?
SNDMN

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re:

Postby CopperBoltwire » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:07 am

lizardcommando wrote:I've been wanting to make a Rockman Zero weapons mod, but some of the weapons like the Z-Knuckle and Chain Rod and effects like killing an enemy the Z-Saber would make them have an alternate death sequence different to an enemy killed with the Z_Buster would probably be too hard to duplicate with DECORATE. Also, MSPaint graphics won't do for this kind of project.

Decorate? Your still stuck with that? zscript man, that's where it's at ;)
CopperBoltwire

Re: Re:

Postby TheRailgunner » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:54 pm

CopperBoltwire wrote:
lizardcommando wrote:I've been wanting to make a Rockman Zero weapons mod, but some of the weapons like the Z-Knuckle and Chain Rod and effects like killing an enemy the Z-Saber would make them have an alternate death sequence different to an enemy killed with the Z_Buster would probably be too hard to duplicate with DECORATE. Also, MSPaint graphics won't do for this kind of project.

Decorate? Your still stuck with that? zscript man, that's where it's at ;)

Two things:

1 (@lizardcommando) - Depending on the enemies (is this intended to be a TC, or just a weapons mod?), it can be done in Deco. If you aren't replacing enemies directly, you may be limited to default death types.

2 (@CopperBoltwire) - ZScript IS clearly better, but Deco is still a very comfortable starting place for modders and a LOT can be done with it, a great deal more with a little bit of ZScript thrown in. That said, I am biased because my experience with ZScript is limited to adapting Decorate to it (my current project, Malice, uses ZScript for a few things, like player definitions, to allow for IDFA/IDKFA to give armor with 100% protection instead of vanilla Megaarmor, for example).
TheRailgunner
Words go here.

Postby Lagi » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:06 pm

zscript is :
1. adding ; at end of line
2. naming actor -> class
3. actor properties you need to close in : Default {}
rest is profit
Lagi

Postby Lagi » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:49 pm

Heretic new iteration...[everyone can spam here with their own shotgun version so let me rant about my fantasy nonsens for 100th time, ok?]

Would need sneaking. This need new AI. so you can run away, and suprise enemy from another angle.
would need climbing. So you could go over the enemies. or reach some funny secret.
would need swimming (diving rather).
flying maybe? you ride some dragon type creature.

level should has more decoration. Decoration should be destructible (but there should not drop pickups, to avoid tedious breaking every pot to find +5HP). Breakable walls (some).

vanilla heretic doesnt have enough melee. Hexen was better, at least it make such impression.
player should have a Massive advantage over enemies. TO be able kill them en masse.

in doom the starting weapons are conventional, then the late tier are science fiction - magic
same should be with heretic. early weapons are completly non magical, late weapons use some magic.
sword / mace (sharp/ blunt more effective against particular enemies), shield, crossbow / bow, axe (can be throw), spear (long reach, can be throw). Mundane weapons, could break. So you would need to find a new one every know and then (instead picking up ammo).

late magic weapons: something that burn, something that freeze, something that electrocute, and some death magic that dezintegrate targets (or some ghost buster style Wraithverge?)

would need items, artifacts are cool. Could has some items that could work only as high score (gold, tresure).
half of items should be mundane: healing=bandage/ointments/food. grenades. armor.

enemies should has the same chasis, but came with multiple variants. And each should has multiple death types.
beast type-werewolf: could be "naked", beast-shaman, beast-armored, beast-hunter (throw spears).
Death type: torso death, beheading, limb lose, GIb, Gib2: explode into pieces, fire, ice
Lagi

Postby NiTROACTiVE » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:52 pm

I have an interesting idea for a gameplay MOD for all classic Doom IWAD maps that I'm not sure that has been done before.

Is there a MOD of any kind that floods any map with swimmable water that will keep rising up to the highest sector?
NiTROACTiVE
Radioactive & Explosive

PreviousNext

Return to General