ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Plokman » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:25 pm

Hello,
I just recently got a kooky idea for a mod or even a game of its own in the style of the old Wooden stone, Doom, Mega Man 8 -bit, and Chex Quest model. To put it a old school way, "I think I'm going Berserk! I think I'm losing my mind, I get lost in the shuffle it happens every time!" Yeah it sounds a bit silly even with Buckner and Garcia lyrics but I would love to make a FPS remake of Stern's Berserk!
Now my two problems, one I know little about how to program and two while I am a spriter I have never tried to make any that could work in a Doom like perspective, so I thought I'd ask the community advice. I'm not trying to go hyper digitized for the style as realistic 16 bit Robots/guns are better suited to classic Doom mods IMHO (H is not just honest it is also humble here) and simply doing what MM8bit does is rather silly as I want to give the feel of exploring and running through the Maze in a way like the first Wreck-It Ralph did things, seeing a character in as they would be rendered in another game (Like how Badannon is rendered to match Pac-Man art style when we see it beyond the screen.) So something more like Chex Quest is how I'd like to try to go about this.

But as I said I wanted to ask the community their advice, since the closest style I have ever sprites to this was Bionicle MNOLG and the sequel. Thinking about it that may be a perfect style to make a FPS Berzerk from. Any thoughts?
Plokman

Postby Cherno » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:20 pm

Plokman wrote:Hello,
I just recently got a kooky idea for a mod or even a game of its own in the style of the old Wooden stone, Doom, Mega Man 8 -bit, and Chex Quest model. To put it a old school way, "I think I'm going Berserk! I think I'm losing my mind, I get lost in the shuffle it happens every time!" Yeah it sounds a bit silly even with Buckner and Garcia lyrics but I would love to make a FPS remake of Stern's Berserk!
Now my two problems, one I know little about how to program and two while I am a spriter I have never tried to make any that could work in a Doom like perspective, so I thought I'd ask the community advice. I'm not trying to go hyper digitized for the style as realistic 16 bit Robots/guns are better suited to classic Doom mods IMHO (H is not just honest it is also humble here) and simply doing what MM8bit does is rather silly as I want to give the feel of exploring and running through the Maze in a way like the first Wreck-It Ralph did things, seeing a character in as they would be rendered in another game (Like how Badannon is rendered to match Pac-Man art style when we see it beyond the screen.) So something more like Chex Quest is how I'd like to try to go about this.

But as I said I wanted to ask the community their advice, since the closest style I have ever sprites to this was Bionicle MNOLG and the sequel. Thinking about it that may be a perfect style to make a FPS Berzerk from. Any thoughts?

You are in luck, as this has already been released a fair while ago, and it's great!

BRZRZK [1.1] - Modern Robot Zapping
Cherno

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Postby Captain J » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:03 pm

So... Random-map-generating games are hit! Like Spelunky, 7 Days to Die, and of course, Minecraft. If i could collab with someone, i'd consider making a TC based on such games no matter how hard it gets. Well, it certainly will be hard, but i should try.

Anyway the concept would be this: You start in XXXL large rectangle room, made out of rectangle floors like checkers that sometimes raised by the script(see wobbly fleshy floors from Doom 1). The script, along with the shaping floors will randomly generate things like small rooms, traps, treasure vault, and monster closet in the map. Probably should spawn props if the room is quite large. I'm sure Nash did that for his recent project, I want to check if it's at least easy for others.

This is my idea. I'm not saying that i'm going to start, heavens no. I suck at mapping! :D
Captain J
That's Amoreee

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Artman2004 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:51 am

A Doom mod based on The Mask (though drawing more inspiration from the original comics). You'd use an axe, revolver, double-barrel shotgun, Tommy gun, bazooka, flamethrower, and those big guns that Jim Carrey used at the end of the movie. The enemies you fight would be street thugs, law enforcement, mobsters, the military, then at the top of the enemy hierarchy you'd fight Walter and Loki. You also have two throw-able items, dynamite and stun bombs. The stun bombs will resemble the typical black ball with a fuse design, and will cause the enemies' sprites to go pitch black for the entire stun duration.
Artman2004

Postby Plokman » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:17 am

Cherno wrote:
Plokman wrote:Hello,

You are in luck, as this has already been released a fair while ago, and it's great!

BRZRZK [1.1] - Modern Robot Zapping

That looks cool, but there is only one (Ok two problems) with it. Firstly it is basically just Berzerk rendered in voxels a 1 for 1 style to 3D and not gonna be a jerk, it shows hard work involved indeed. The second problem is a problem I will agree would be hard to get right on making Berzerk in 3D perfectly, Evil Otto would need some changes but without him it isn't really Berzerk.

Props for them getting it working and for style choice, but like I said I want to make it a uprez (This is what I termed the concept Wreck-it Ralph used to make it where inside the games everything is a realistic version of what the screen would show. Like how Mano in Bad an on wasn't a model with textures that looked digitized, or Clyde was a rounded ghost shape not brick stacked.) Presentation, the robots having real designs fitting how the were once rendered not as seen if the were to enter another game while it is being played.

Does that make sense? Again I point to Ralph, Browser, and the others when seen leaving badannon from our side of the screen being rendered in a art style that would fit in with Pac-Man. But on their side they are realistic renderings of their sprites/models down to some moving choppily because their sprites had limited animations. Uprezing when seen is so easy to understand, describing it not so much. 😅
Plokman

Postby Thelightcall » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:39 pm

Idea: A Mod For Doom Which Gives It An Arcade Feel. For Example Make It So Its EXTREMELY Hard. Maybe Make A Difficulty Similar To Ultra Nightmare In Doom 2016 And Eternal.
I Cant Make This Because I Have No Idea How To Mod And I Cant Find Any Modding Tools Because Im On Mac OSX.
Thelightcall

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.8 or later
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby leileilol » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:08 pm

I'm pretty sure you've just described (the unfortunately named) "Mandoom".
leileilol
ダークエルフ!!!!!!!!!!

Previous

Return to General