ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Postby torgor67 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:21 pm

Lol yeah tbh that makes sense and why time travel I tend to avoid. Tbh I mainly used it as a way of getting loads of different level themes together as I also found the plot was a bit silly XD. The only reason I had a plot is because I felt awkward with the idea having no plot to it and doomguy randomly visits these location. But yeah I can understand your point :) Tbh I was nervous posting my idea because I thought that people would be thinking it was a cliché lol. But thanks for the response!
torgor67
 
Joined: 22 Feb 2020

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:33 am

Nah, cliches can still be good enough. To be honest, there is nothing that isn't "cliche" today. So that's why many good games use and abuse of them, but don't take the plot so seriously, which makes it a little more fun. Games that act like you never seen it usually tend to get boring.

And don't be afraid to post here. This is the right place to post games ideas, conpcepts and brainfarts as well. :p

Talking about brainfarts...

Nightshift

This idea came to my head a few days ago. Since i am never satisfied with survival horror mods (believe me, the hardest version of my Factotum mod is a walk in the park compared to my personal file), i decided to think on a mod which brings more elements of survival and psychological horror.

TL;DR: A survival mod with very few resources, weapons and items. Items are mostly inventory based, or need to be used in order to be picked up (a la Hideous Destructor). Most Monsters are lethal, though not unfair. No hitscanners and a more consistent set (zombies, ghosts, similar demons YOU NAME IT). Not meant to work everywhere. Only meant to provide a different experience.

Player has less HP (maybe 50 or 60) and walking/running spped than usual, and can suffer movement crippling under 10hp.

Weapons are way stronger and more accurate than vanilla Doom weapons to overcompensate for their lack of resources. Weapons can go ADS (for a little bit of unrealism), recoil sucks, forcing the player to play most of the time on semi-auto or bursts. Damage has a wide spread of randomization for a more varied gameplay. Special hollywood effects are at your gusto. Player can change fire rate, throw quick grenades or do a quick melee attack at any time with a dedicated button. Reloads would be nice if clip based, but that's up to you. Sprinting is also cool (since some secrets are speed based).

Weapons: You have three. Yes, three. And a few grenades to help you.

Melee weapon: Brawling with demons should be your LAST resort, but you gotta have it. Any melee thing would serve here. I like machetes and crowbars, they're a nice excuse to make a custom punch with good range and damage. But, if you like knives (which are cool too), be my guest.

Assault Rifle: Any generic 5.56x45mm NATO will do. Player can cycle between Semi-Auto or Full-Auto. To avoid spamming painchance and easily killing monsters, it should be no faster than 3 ticks (think Strife's assault rifle, something around 700 rpm). Usually they come in 30 round mags, so 3 mags should be the maximum. Drops could come in various forums, but my style would be to put it on shotgun shell spots, since they are the most generous in Doom.

Pump-Action Shotgun: Otherwise, this would not be Doom. Shotguns are usually a puff of confetti in games when used on far distances. Not here. The shotgun is good, and each shot SHOULD count. Ammo drops could come in cell spots, since they're rare. The shotgun shouldn't have more than 5 or 7 shots, so, let's say a you should carry a bandolier with... 25 or 30 shots? How does that sounds? No, no no. I am counting the backpack already.

Pistol: A 9x19mm pistol. Pretty generic stuff. Although models with 16 or 18 bullets would be cool, it might not get the player looking at the chamber so often. A brute caliber pistol, such as a Colt 1911A1, or a Tokarev TT33 would look nice, since you also must make each shot count with these. Drops in usual clip spots, why not. 5 or 6 clips are usually more than one can carry in a tactical vest, so... we're going between 45 and 75 bullets in here.

Grenades: A few hand grenades. Frag grenades are more of a defensive device, so having to rely on the explosion rather than the fragments itself is a more excusable way to put grenades in the game. Grenades are still lethal, so keep a GOOD FREAKING DISTANCE when throwing one. 3 or 5 should be enough. To keep the fair play, once could associate grenades to rocket ammo spawns, rocket launcher spawns and maybe even armor/health bonuses.

My initial idea was to make the player either start with AR+Pistol or Pistol only, but having the shotgun right on the start would kill the thrilling sensation.

HUD: No health bars. The ammunition (and reserve ammunition) + player's inventory should be power fantasy enough. Health could be depicted with blood decals, heartbeats or even Doomguy's mugshot. Medikits are inventory based. If any animation plays when using it, it's up to you.

Ambientation: Here we start the cooler tricks. With a few cvars, we can take music apart and leave ambients dark enough so the player should use a flashlight, or flares. The scenario could get some object replacements, some of which can influentiate on the gameplay (say, a trash can. Shoot it and rats will come off of it).

Some items in the scenario could trigger noises at purely random, or trigger a noise once and stop (like an object falling, or a door opening, footsteps...) but never jumpscares. These are the cheapest way to scare someone. It doesn't suceed in building an proper atmosphere, since players are expecting screams or huge screen images at any time, and it kills it. At least for me.

Bear in mind: although i am aiming for "realism", it should be easy for the player to keep the situation at bay, or easy to run from it if things get hard. The power-fantasy is the source of all fun, and reality is way too boring to please all players. If i forgot anything, i'll add here.
User avatar
Dr_Cosmobyte
Demons are a disease. Meet the cure.
 
Joined: 05 Jun 2015
Location: Killing spiders.

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Postby torgor67 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:45 pm

Now that's an idea I can get behind making something unique like a more survival horror style doom mod. I also liked the part you mentioned about rats coming out of the trash can as its really good attention to detail and would be something I would include if I had the skills! :)
torgor67
 
Joined: 22 Feb 2020

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Postby willkuer » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:57 am

Been prototyping a Terminator style mod for a while:

Vision modes (shaders),guns and stuff:

willkuer
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2016
Location: Austria

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Postby Lagi » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:56 pm

willkuer wrote:Been prototyping a Terminator style mod for a while:

Vision modes (shaders),guns and stuff:



Absolutely amazing! This vision modes win all. Add some text gibberish to red vision and Im sold. Weapons sprites are sweet.
Where did you post this?! go with it to gameplay mods and create new thread!
this is place for ideas guys (wall of text, and nothing else).
User avatar
Lagi
 
Joined: 23 Jun 2018
Location: Thou shalt alter thy beliefs with new evidence

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Postby willkuer » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:12 am

Well, even if there is a bunch of stuff done already, it's still just an idea. I posted the videos because I was too lazy to write it all down in text form - show, don't tell style :P
I'll post in Gameplay Mods as soon as I have something ready to download and play... which might take some... a long time. :)
willkuer
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2016
Location: Austria

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:56 am

I've been waiting for this since day one. Holy cow man, this mod is everyday more amazing.
User avatar
Dr_Cosmobyte
Demons are a disease. Meet the cure.
 
Joined: 05 Jun 2015
Location: Killing spiders.

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Postby AstartesCitizen » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:17 am

willkuer wrote:Been prototyping a Terminator style mod for a while:

Vision modes (shaders),guns and stuff:



Holy..... Those sprites AND the iconic T2 sound for the laser rifle already had me sold! I think ever since the ALIENS TC came out pretty much everyone wanted a Terminator TC or something along those lines in Doom. This has a lot of potential, looking forward to it!
User avatar
AstartesCitizen
 
Joined: 10 Mar 2020
Location: Holy Terra
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 32-bit

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Postby r&r » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:23 pm

willkuer wrote:Been prototyping a Terminator style mod for a while:

Vision modes (shaders),guns and stuff:



Ooo this looks good hope when it comes out, it comes with a compatible patch for the Robocop mod
User avatar
r&r
 
Joined: 08 Sep 2017

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Postby Matt » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:04 pm

that camera scope....... :shock:
User avatar
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007
 
Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Postby r&r » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:44 pm

Just Finish ripping this sprite
it's Fang from Contra hard corps

Maybe a idea to be use as a skin for Doom
as just a few edits he can have facing away sprites.
theres already a full sprite rip of him online
even his probotector counter part,
but no chase sprites... might have to rip those too later on

Fang Chase SpriteFinX.png
Fang Chase SpriteFinX.png (19.56 KiB) Viewed 239 times
User avatar
r&r
 
Joined: 08 Sep 2017

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Postby willkuer » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:07 am

We have curfew here because of the Corona outbreak. I'll be in homeoffice for the time being. That being said, more time to mod ^^

willkuer
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2016
Location: Austria

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Postby Lagi » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:20 am

willkuer wrote:We have curfew here because of the Corona outbreak. I'll be in homeoffice for the time being. That being said, more time to mod ^^



Whoa! thats what I was talking about. It feel like the player is T-800 now.
Hope some body would make in distant future TC (with resistance squishy infantry to grind :) and maps in devastated cities ) with your weapon mod.

Again, why you not opening your project page? Because you shy?

edit: becase its "ideas thread"

what if skynet side you control single terminator, with loads of guns, supper toughnes (hp) ... typical doom guy

while as resistance you control one member of the squad team (8 guys?). You start (spawn) with all 8 guys, but player control just 1- rest are just almost idle actors ,they fire they follow player, go to point or stop etc. But player can switch them as he want. Player pressing numbers on keyboard switching team member (and each human can carry only one gun). Player can move with half team to some spot to provide fire cover. OR do suicide rush, and die from single bullet, and then take control of next soldier.
New soldier could be find on map (instead of health). If soldier get wounded, he would be crippled till the end of the mission.

Plus its a natural Co-Op feature.
User avatar
Lagi
 
Joined: 23 Jun 2018
Location: Thou shalt alter thy beliefs with new evidence

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Postby AstartesCitizen » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:28 pm

Lagi wrote:
willkuer wrote:We have curfew here because of the Corona outbreak. I'll be in homeoffice for the time being. That being said, more time to mod ^^



Whoa! thats what I was talking about. It feel like the player is T-800 now.
Hope some body would make in distant future TC (with resistance squishy infantry to grind :) and maps in devastated cities ) with your weapon mod.

Again, why you not opening your project page? Because you shy?

edit: becase its "ideas thread"

what if skynet side you control single terminator, with loads of guns, supper toughnes (hp) ... typical doom guy

while as resistance you control one member of the squad team (8 guys?). You start (spawn) with all 8 guys, but player control just 1- rest are just almost idle actors ,they fire they follow player, go to point or stop etc. But player can switch them as he want. Player pressing numbers on keyboard switching team member (and each human can carry only one gun). Player can move with half team to some spot to provide fire cover. OR do suicide rush, and die from single bullet, and then take control of next soldier.
New soldier could be find on map (instead of health). If soldier get wounded, he would be crippled till the end of the mission.

Plus its a natural Co-Op feature.



I am liking how the mod is shaping up honestly, even if for the moment is a weapons mod only is already really nice looking, now the idea for two player classes in a Terminator mod is only natural, I agree one class could be your typical T-800 with slow movement, dishes out heavy damage and can take the punishement as well but could be difficult for it to repair itself, one idea could be that when playing as a terminator, the only way to regain health is by using nano-repair kits (or other cool scifi name that could go with this) that repair the terminator for a certain amount, these kits could replace berserk packs as they dont appear as often as medikits also it could be two types of repair kits, the one mentioned earlier and the second a more advanced repair kit that regenerates the terminator health for several seconds at a steady rate, this could replace the supercharge powerup and be used as item when picked up and making a large hp pool for the terminator so you dont have to heal quite as much and limit the number of weapons the terminator can have as you can already start with hard hitting guns the laser rifle for example.

As for a Resistance player class, your human soldier a trained and seasoned warrior against Skynet, the resistance soldier could be more nimble perhaps with a sliding movement when crouching to dogde projectiles and move even faster, it could start with a small amount of armor and basics weapons ( a pistol and the assault rifle seen in the videos) have more weapons slots than the terminator making the soldier more versatile, with weapons that go with theme of the mod, like weapons that can outright damage and destroy a terminator and if possible that certain weapons could have a secondary fire mode, like the assault rifle having an underbarrel grenade launcher, to have an extra punch early on. Now the idea to have the resistance soldier as a squad team changing between soldiers is appaeling it can make the class more tactical and complex to play. Welp thats all I have for now as ideas go, good luck with the project, oh and stay safe!
User avatar
AstartesCitizen
 
Joined: 10 Mar 2020
Location: Holy Terra
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 32-bit

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Postby willkuer » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:16 pm

Lagi wrote:Again, why you not opening your project page? Because you shy?


Because I came here to gather some feedback and additional input :D I tend to start working on something with a lack of clear vision. You guys help focus the work with giving external vision/ideas ;)

Anyways, I'm nearly ready to release something, so, I opened a new thread here:
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=67893&p=1142508#p1142508

Thanks for your input guys! Much appreciated! :wub:
willkuer
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2016
Location: Austria

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], VriskaSerket and 4 guests