ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by TDRR »

A Total Conversion called DoomSector, based on (you guessed it) Ascii Sector. a Privateer real-time Rougelike game where you do missions to get money, upgrade your ship, travel to other planets, buy new weapons, gain reputation and do quests for fun.

The showstopper here is that i suck at being a mapper and my maps look absolutely horrible, my textures likewise look bad (FreeDoom textures won't cut it in some places so i may need some artist)

Sort of like what Mr. Friendly did, but in space and with a lot more missions and planets (there's THREE solar systems!)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

ImpieTwo wrote:A discord post gave me this idea: Heredick, the H-Doom equivalent to Heretic.
LossForWords wrote:
comet1337 wrote:don't forget heXXXen
i have no pun for strife
stroke - quest for the pussygil
don't forget Sex Quest
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Matt wrote:
ImpieTwo wrote:A discord post gave me this idea: Heredick, the H-Doom equivalent to Heretic.
LossForWords wrote:
comet1337 wrote:don't forget heXXXen
i have no pun for strife
stroke - quest for the pussygil
don't forget Sex Quest
I love you guys...
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

TDRR wrote:A Total Conversion called DoomSector, based on (you guessed it) Ascii Sector. a Privateer real-time Rougelike game where you do missions to get money, upgrade your ship, travel to other planets, buy new weapons, gain reputation and do quests for fun.

The showstopper here is that i suck at being a mapper and my maps look absolutely horrible, my textures likewise look bad (FreeDoom textures won't cut it in some places so i may need some artist)

Sort of like what Mr. Friendly did, but in space and with a lot more missions and planets (there's THREE solar systems!)
I had a similar idea: A Ace Combat-ish mod for doom, with a third person view of the plane, where you fight cacos/pain elementals and lost souls just for score on a open map with infinite respawning.

Showstopper is i don't have map skills and my plane would suck.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

GAA1992 wrote: I had a similar idea: A Ace Combat-ish mod for doom, with a third person view of the plane, where you fight cacos/pain elementals and lost souls just for score on a open map with infinite respawning.

That isn't similar at all, because the ship is mostly used for traveling between planets and fighting other clans who want to stop you from traveling to their planet. The gameplay would focus on the ground movement, objectives and combat.

But it sounds like a neat idea, perhaps you could get some maps from FreeDoom and try using that. About the plane sprite, well, what does it matter? Better than nothing :P

I also wanted to do a mech building and fighting thing but it seems extremely difficult to do, and didn't get beyond designing a simple arena.
Hgluzowski

Post by Hgluzowski »

GAA1992 wrote:
TDRR wrote:A Total Conversion called DoomSector, based on (you guessed it) Ascii Sector. a Privateer real-time Rougelike game where you do missions to get money, upgrade your ship, travel to other planets, buy new weapons, gain reputation and do quests for fun.

I had a similar idea: A Ace Combat-ish mod for doom, with a third person view of the plane, where you fight cacos/pain elementals and lost souls just for score on a open map with infinite respawning.

I had this same idea dude for about a half of this year ! It's just... wow.

Imagine this, a Ace Combat-ish game made in GZDoom engine with PSX-like graphics, a game where you can fly with Su-47 Berkut or F-22 Raptor and do a Macross Missile Massacre against boss in form of whole freakin' sci-fi flying bases which shoots lasers... ah, wait... isn't it just Electrosphere in my mind ?
SladeKillgore

Post by SladeKillgore »

How has nobody made a Warhammer 40K Space Marine gameplay mod yet? Bolters, Flamers, Lasguns, Power Sword etc... DOOM already has the Evil Chaos (cough Demons) scum in by default.

(on a side note, if there are any tutorials on how to make doom gameplay mods for total scrubs, I might try, but I'm not very technical at all.)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'm pretty sure that there have been a few 40K projects that got to various levels of completion. I'm not aware of any one particular go-to project though, so perhaps nothing ever got done to a worthwhile playable condition.

As an aside, there were some quite nice Terminator player models for Quake 2 (some of the better Q2 models that were made "back in the day") and they could easily be used by GZDoom.

Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Team WhoDunIt.

2+ opposing teams, each one with a "one bad apple" who is allowed to kill opposing team members (while everybody else suffers dire consequences if they kill anyone but a bad apple on an opposing team). Each team tries to survive, and they win a big bonus if they're the only team surviving.

Players have a choice of either cooperating with the opposing teams to wipe out all the bad apples from their ranks, or protect their own bad apple so they can screw over the other team - or pretend to do one while really doing the other.

The bad apple can forfeit their bad apple status if they haven't killed anyone yet, but this will not be shown to anyone else unless and until all bad apples are either converted or killed - the other people will just have to believe you.

Deceiving teammates who disagree with you is encouraged as part of the game.

Unlikely one can easily round up enough players on GZDoom at once to make this workable... (and really this would ideally involve more than 8 players anyway)
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Matt wrote: Unlikely one can easily round up enough players on GZDoom at once to make this workable... (and really this would ideally involve more than 8 players anyway)
You know, Zandronum exists.
Nash

Post by Nash »

TDRR wrote:
Matt wrote: Unlikely one can easily round up enough players on GZDoom at once to make this workable... (and really this would ideally involve more than 8 players anyway)
You know, Zandronum exists.
Zandronum cannot do ZScript. :P Besides, GZDoom will get client/server architecture some time in future anyway, which will open up a completely new breed of online GZDoom gaming community.
SladeKillgore

Post by SladeKillgore »

Enjay wrote:I'm pretty sure that there have been a few 40K projects that got to various levels of completion. I'm not aware of any one particular go-to project though, so perhaps nothing ever got done to a worthwhile playable condition.

As an aside, there were some quite nice Terminator player models for Quake 2 (some of the better Q2 models that were made "back in the day") and they could easily be used by GZDoom.
Yeah I found one that I could actually play, here on the forums, not to be disrespectful but it wasn't very good (not that my attempt would be better). I feel like I've been spoiled by all the amazing gameplay mods people have made throughout the years though, the best most gratifying ones just stick with me and then I think to myself what if we had this *thing* done as a gameplay mod of this quality/caliber instead. Although a WH40K would definitely be my top pick. If there was one as good as say Guncaster or Trailblazer I probably wouldn't play any other gameplay mods anymore.
ReaperAA
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ReaperAA »

Nash wrote:Zandronum cannot do ZScript. :P Besides, GZDoom will get client/server architecture some time in future anyway, which will open up a completely new breed of online GZDoom gaming community.
Wait GZdoom is getting C/S? Awesome.
Though what will happen to Zandronum. Will it cease to exist/ become one with Gzdoom
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

SladeKillgore wrote:How has nobody made a Warhammer 40K Space Marine gameplay mod yet? Bolters, Flamers, Lasguns, Power Sword etc... DOOM already has the Evil Chaos (cough Demons) scum in by default.

(on a side note, if there are any tutorials on how to make doom gameplay mods for total scrubs, I might try, but I'm not very technical at all.)
Maybe because spacemarines dont have so great impact on...games, I think. Just default console/port from console third person shooter but in warhammer style.
The most famous warhammer 40k game is a dawn of war.

And yes, I try to do something on warhammer theme, but for some reason I cant export model to md3 format, from 3d max to blender using blender script. Every time I try to do so or blender says "bad import" and show model pieces scattered around a grid, or script fuck up model in import, so in gzdoom it looks like "multi-pointed star from meshes in texture of space marine", or it just partly textured model which was glitch gzdoom like a LSD bad trip (this was bug of a gzdoom which already fixed), or model, again, split on parts in gzdoom which fly around, possibly in broken animation sequence. But very, very very very very, rarely it import model without any problem.
So you understand how rarely, I spent almost a month in a last year trying to figure out what I do wrong and import all models that I have, but all I managed to do is export only this.
Nash

Post by Nash »

ReaperAA wrote:
Nash wrote:Zandronum cannot do ZScript. :P Besides, GZDoom will get client/server architecture some time in future anyway, which will open up a completely new breed of online GZDoom gaming community.
Wait GZdoom is getting C/S? Awesome.
Though what will happen to Zandronum. Will it cease to exist/ become one with Gzdoom
The devs have said that they plan to keep each community separate. If anyone wants to cross over; cool, welcome to the club, but Zan and CS GZDoom won't merge because the source code differs too much.

Hence why I said when CS GZDoom finally happens, it'll be a completely new community. A new breed of mod makers (most probably harnessing the full power of ZScript) and players.

Also don't forget that GZDoom's system requirements are much higher than Zandronum, so that might throw some people from the Zan community off.

Return to “General”