ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Nash

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Nash »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote: What I loved about Duke Nukem 3D maps and engine is that it actually allowed to have moving 3D objects on maps unlike doom engine. Hell, they even had trains, TRAINS, with open-top! Means, you could actually go inside AND ride it!

Just look at this baby - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUF7r7s33PI&t=500s it can even spin itself, which is imho outstanding even for that time of engine.

I just dream when it finally become possible to have actual working trains in GZDoom maps, the ones that you can actually ride in different directions and locations, not just another blood's train map illusion clone. Please make this be real, Nash.
An oooold portal implementation in ZDoom (start watching at 4:00) allowed this; but this was apparently scrapped.

PS I'm not an engine programmer, I can't make anything real. :<
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Nash wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote: What I loved about Duke Nukem 3D maps and engine is that it actually allowed to have moving 3D objects on maps unlike doom engine. Hell, they even had trains, TRAINS, with open-top! Means, you could actually go inside AND ride it!

Just look at this baby - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUF7r7s33PI&t=500s it can even spin itself, which is imho outstanding even for that time of engine.

I just dream when it finally become possible to have actual working trains in GZDoom maps, the ones that you can actually ride in different directions and locations, not just another blood's train map illusion clone. Please make this be real, Nash.
An oooold portal implementation in ZDoom (start watching at 4:00) allowed this; but this was apparently scrapped.
Yeah I saw this video a while back, but then again, this one... moving platform... isn't really open-top unlike in build engine. I've seen several maps with greatly implemented portals that is really hard to distingusih like in Hocus Pocus doom, but trains?? Never... and that is very sad. I mean, everyone love trains. How happen gzdoom developers managed to implement complicated portal system of a Portal like game, yet not a simplified version of train that can at least move up and don't and not side ways, let alone rotate like in Build engine, is beyond me.
Nash wrote:PS I'm not an engine programmer, I can't make anything real. :<
Awww, I really thought you were. I remember watching your video with that city map and rain, I guess it's a scrapped project too? ; ;
Nash

Post by Nash »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote: Awww, I really thought you were. I remember watching your video with that city map and rain, I guess it's a scrapped project too? ; ;
That's a standalone game project made with GZDoom, and that project is still ongoing. Whatever you saw in there was all done script-side though, not engine changes. :)
Assassin of Purity
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Assassin of Purity »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:
Nash wrote:I love Duke Nukem 3D's level design - amongst all of the 2.5d shooters, I feel like DN3D nailed modern/sub-urban/city the best. And they look and feel pretty realistic too - you can recognize what you are actually walking through and looking at in the level; a supermarket looks like a supermarket, a cafe looks like a cafe, etc. Gameplay just works in that realistic environment too.

Would definitely like to see DN3D's levels (or similary-built) in GZDoom as I also don't enjoy Build Engine's movement and physics.
What I loved about Duke Nukem 3D maps and engine is that it actually allowed to have moving 3D objects on maps unlike doom engine. Hell, they even had trains, TRAINS, with open-top! Means, you could actually go inside AND ride it!

You know what's sad? Quake getting more praise than Duke Nukem 3D at the time just because it was actually 3D. :(

Quake was more like a 3D Doom.
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

Those were transition times. Most regular folks wouldn't care or understand DN3D technical achievements, they only wanted the 3D eye-candy because hey, that was the "future technology".
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

I tend to disagree. Growing up in eastern europe, Quake required a bit better hardware to handle it properly.
Sprite based Duke ran so much better than any 3D engine on computers we had in the past.

Also, we love both games, they're both fpp but are based in entirely different universes. You can't really play both games at the same time, and everyone enjoyed a bit of rotation.

Anyway, today I'm Duke Nukem 3D vs Quake vs Half-Life... in Doom. lol
Conmeister

Post by Conmeister »

I had an idea of mine that I was thinking about for a while. Though It might be a scrapped one but here it goes.
A WolfenDoom mod but something...something different that I 'd like to see. Instead of B.J Blazkowicz, How about a Russian Spy! With some inspirations from RTCW (Return to Castle Wolfenstein) mods such as Horrors of Hell, Flying Saucers and Stalingrad.
I'm not exactly sure about the amount of episodes will it have (Perhaps 3 or 6 episodes in total with 9-10 levels each). Sure there is a way to think up something but I find it a difficult situation sometimes since it mostly focuses on Eastern Front scenarios in WWII. The mapping on the other hand could be a problem in some cases regardless of certain places and so.
In general, could it work? Well, I don't know but I'll just leave it as an idea to consider for the time being.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

someone should make a basic .iwad and an .ipk3 for everyone to start working on their own game without having to go trough the whole process of errors and finding out what the engine wants from you. Add a free basic font and maybe even some dev textures and a demo map
Last edited by Zen3001 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

*cough cough* Freedoom. *cough*

Got an idea... I finally looked at quite a bit of Heretic II gameplay.

What if we remade Heretic II in the Doom Engine, using Doom-style 2D sprites, and have it be a first-person shooter?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

This comment was posted in General:
...most of what you can do in ZScript is somewhat doable in just ACS. Unless you care that much about your screen rolling or fancy shadow effects or whatever that don't contribute to the gameplay whatsoever.
I stand by my response to it on that thread, but I refrained from any direct argument about how aesthetics contribute to gameplay. Then I thought about it.

Now I want to make an entire IWAD in which all the walls are blank and just colour-coded for ease of reference (all map geometry is within a specific range of grey or brown that no actor is, except for the bright green, orange and red that mark damage floors), all monsters are red rectangles with black outlines, all weapons are black rectangles with white numbers, all players are green rectangles with black outlines and black numbers (for the player number), etc., for an absolutely minimalistic abstract game.

The manual will read like this:
Slot 3 state-making item (seven-ray version)

This state-making item casts 7 rays simultaneously in a horizontal fan in front of a player. If an actor crosses one of these rays before it hits the map geometry, it will have its "health" property depleted by 1d3*5 for each ray. The ray-casting sequence takes 4 game ticks to activate when you press the "fire" button, and requires 30 [or however long that animation normally takes] to finish resetting before the sequence can be executed again or another state-making item is brought up to the player screen state.

Each sequence depletes 1 unit of state-making item-connected item type #2.

Reactive hitscan target #1
These will randomly project a single line in the general direction of the selected playerpawn. If the "health" depletion sequence is executed on it for an aggregate of 20 points or more, it will become passable and remain passive until the end of the level or reactivation by reactive hitscan target #6.
Valken

Post by Valken »

Oh wow, you people are talking about love for Duke Nukem. Honestly, I like Duke Nukem more just for the pure writing style and game design. It was awesome for its time and timeless to me. Definitely between #1 and 2 (Half Life) for me even though I cut my teeth on Quake and Doom first.

For me, I would like to see something like GZDoom-EX, where Build/Quake/HL engine features can be incorporated into GZDoom. There are Darkplaces and Xash 3D engines now and if those can run doom wads with decorate / zscript, it would be pretty awesome with more advanced level design features. Just floor over floors alone would be pretty cool to see down into the action.

Anyone remember that old Die Hard Nakatomi game? Would be awesome for a Doom Remake...
r&r

Post by r&r »

Monster Fest : Monster Simulator

A idea for a game where you hunt down and feed on people.
as a single player game or cooperative or competition for higher points.

A idea where you play as a monster
a Werewolf, Vampire, and Slasher.

The Werewolf can move fast and strike fast
with it's pounce attack and blends well in forest area
and with people when he's in his human form.
Weakness is a Silver Bullet and much eat constantly to live.
His perks is when human form his hunger is paused.

The Vampire able to blend in with people and the shadows
Welled balance with his speed and attacks with the power of flight and cloaking.
Weakness anything holy symbol related near by a much feed now and then
but not as good bad as the werewolf.

The Slasher this maniac is slow but strikes hard,
able to "jump" right next or front of his victim out of now where with his ability tho.
He is able to blend in the woods and darkness.
Weakness as he's very slow and strikes slow. but he get hungers the less.

Yeah kinda in a Halloween mood. So I thought this up.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

After reading a review of the Amiga classic The Chaos Engine, I would really like to see a steampunk shooter. The arcade action of the original would translate well to Doomstyle gameplay, with a mix of shooting, exploring, and puzzle solving.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Cherno wrote:After reading a review of the Amiga classic The Chaos Engine, I would really like to see a steampunk shooter. The arcade action of the original would translate well to Doomstyle gameplay, with a mix of shooting, exploring, and puzzle solving.
Chaos Engine 3D has needed to happen since ever. There are a selection of sprites available on Spriter's resource. Including weapons, character portraits, hud details...

If I wasn't up to my eyeballs in jobs I would be doing this now.
Maxed poin

Post by Maxed poin »

I was thinking a Level set in the Undertale Core. Pretty simple...

Return to “General”