ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Cutmanmike »

Hi

I've been enjoying the crap out of vanilla doom lately so I've been currently working on a little mod to spice up the gameplay without introducing a whole bunch of new monsters, weapons and other assets that turn it into a completely different game. I have a hunch that my idea may have been done before (especially with what I'm seeing zscript can do), but I couldn't find anything like it?

Basically at the start of the map you're given a choice of 3 cards. The card effects the gameplay for that level, and range from limiting your health total, spawning additional monsters, replacing monster projectiles with different ones, and so on. Every X levels, the card you choose will be permanently added to your "run", so to speak. Also the more levels you beat, the more evil the card choices become. For example one I had was a choice between Replacing Cacodemon fireballs with Rockets, Disabling armour completely or having Monsters explode on death. Your choice there could make things difficult or completely ruin your run, depending on the map.

I think someone could go nuts with this with zscript and make a whole bunch of crazy effects, but I'm sticking basic for now as I'm making it Zandronum compatible (I can't say no to multiplayer). It'll be released once I feel it's fairly balanced on what cards to give the player and how tough it should get the longer you play. Either way, I think playing classic maps but with a twist + adding "roguelike" choices is a neat idea that should be looked at.
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

I had some Doom Legacy ideas but dropped them already. If you want to rewrite something for ZDoom, you can dig the grave: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=63330
If you decide to download the pack, pay some attention to:
1) How Alternate Fire in AltFire is controlled. You don't need to bind a key to hit Imps with your bayonet.
2) Subspace HOM Scanner in DirtyHacks.
3) The whole crazy crap DTR, featuring Co-op Death, monsters which can be eliminated only by picking them up, wandering Teleport Destinations which are also Cacodemons, Arch-vile resurrecting Zombies into Chaingunners (does not actually work), Caco-cowards and the Mare Archangelum map which can be co-operatively played with one alive player and one dead (ghost) player (only scripts are written). Feel free to take anything or take the whole project if you want to (change anything according to your taste, you have better than mine for sure).
4) Forced Rejects: can this map trick be used widely? Stealth missions? Hiding in shadows?
5) Train of Time map. Imagine the middle part (between the Wolf3D and Doom, the time travel itself) with HOM Subspace Scanner!
Edit: How could I forget the Chimaeras.xls idea! Random combinations of heads, torsos, legs, and each one adds an effect to a Chimaera. If they are combined into a vanilla monster, effects are also combined into the vanilla bechavior of this monster.
Last edited by NickDoom on Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

And another idea which is too big to even try to do alone.
Imagine a Minecraft-like hexagonal open world with Fallout II "wander-and-discover" combination of both pre-built and auto-generated locations, in (Z)Doom setting, but with some DF-like advanced mob behavior.
Imagine exploring the Doom universe, finding clues to the puzzle, to new locations and locked places of them, and imps laugh at you when you fall on lava floor again.
And your pet cacodemon Sylvester tries to eat the last canary in the world. What a stubborn creature. (The mob behavior can't be considered "advanced" unless you can have pet cacodemons…)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Cutmanmike wrote:Hi

I've been enjoying the crap out of vanilla doom lately so I've been currently working on a little mod to spice up the gameplay without introducing a whole bunch of new monsters, weapons and other assets that turn it into a completely different game. I have a hunch that my idea may have been done before (especially with what I'm seeing zscript can do), but I couldn't find anything like it?
Oh snap, it's cutmanmike!! Long time no see, my good man!

Anyway such features might be a good and challenging game changer. However you already guaranteed that you could ruin the gameplay due to the RNG, so is there anyway to remove or maybe replace the card effect the player have?
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

NickDoom wrote:And another idea which is too big to even try to do alone.
Imagine a Minecraft-like hexagonal open world with Fallout II "wander-and-discover" combination of both pre-built and auto-generated locations, in (Z)Doom setting, but with some DF-like advanced mob behavior.
Imagine exploring the Doom universe, finding clues to the puzzle, to new locations and locked places of them, and imps laugh at you when you fall on lava floor again.
And your pet cacodemon Sylvester tries to eat the last canary in the world. What a stubborn creature. (The mob behavior can't be considered "advanced" unless you can have pet cacodemons…)
https://www.dfworkshop.net/
kodi

Post by kodi »

Idea: A LevelPostProcessor (if possible) or event handler that tries to set appropriate sound environments for each sector in the level, based on something like ceiling heights, floor/ceiling texture, or even a bunch of line traces to approximate the size of the room.
42_the_Gamer
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by 42_the_Gamer »

I had an idea to make a doom mod based off the obscure video game Gloomy Dungeons 3D.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Cutmanmike wrote:Hi

Basically at the start of the map you're given a choice of 3 cards. The card effects the gameplay for that level, and range from limiting your health total, spawning additional monsters, replacing monster projectiles with different ones, and so on. Every X levels, the card you choose will be permanently added to your "run", so to speak. Also the more levels you beat, the more evil the card choices become. For example one I had was a choice between Replacing Cacodemon fireballs with Rockets, Disabling armour completely or having Monsters explode on death. Your choice there could make things difficult or completely ruin your run, depending on the map.

I think someone could go nuts with this with zscript and make a whole bunch of crazy effects, but I'm sticking basic for now as I'm making it Zandronum compatible (I can't say no to multiplayer). It'll be released once I feel it's fairly balanced on what cards to give the player and how tough it should get the longer you play. Either way, I think playing classic maps but with a twist + adding "roguelike" choices is a neat idea that should be looked at.
So, much like Destiny's Modifiers or Halo's Skull effects - things like this give me hope.
NickDoom wrote:And another idea which is too big to even try to do alone.
Is this possible? Procedurally-generated Doom maps at game startup? Or does generation have to occur outside the Doom port (i.e., generated by a tertiary program before Doom is launched and manually included in the load order)?
Valken

Post by Valken »

I had this idea recently only because I cannot find another way to achive it.

A 3D Gridder based dungeon game using the GZdoom Engine and monsters. Basically Legend of Grimrock, Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder type game.

Use GZdoombuilder to make the maps, all monsters go into grid based walking them but in real-time combat, not like Wizardry Turn Base or option to do this.

I wanted to play Eye of the Beholder in multiplayer but there is no way to do this and I thought Doom would a be a good candidate if we just make the walking movements grid based.
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

TheRailgunner wrote:Is this possible? Procedurally-generated Doom maps at game startup? Or does generation have to occur outside the Doom port (i.e., generated by a tertiary program before Doom is launched and manually included in the load order)?
My friend did a very, very decent attempt. But it's too much for one programmer (and even for two).
The best thing you people can do is to take an open-source "cube renderer" (Doom BSP renderer can't work with generated levels) and start a fork of GZDoom, with "cube renderer" instead of BSP renderer.
So physics, weapons (and their .DEH/Decorate support), monsters (and their .DEH/Decorate support) can be saved.
Level format, of course, must be rewritten.
Some mechanics (crushers, moving floors etc) can be rewritten very closely to Doom (it also takes much less CPU than constantly checking blocks like Minecraft does).
Render distance can be restricted sometimes to avoid low frame rate, but it must not affect gameplay, it's not a Minecraft clone, it's Doom! So distant cacodemons will fly to you sooner or later. I however don't recommend my friend's renderer, because Hex renderer looks less "minecraftish" because of it's hexagonal blocks (I don't however know what exact license Hex supports). Maybe skybox (refreshing from time to time) can improve both render distance and FPS (but spacemarines can run very fast).

Speaking about changing standard BSP levels in-game, "tab map" can probably be turned into a map editor (really, why write map editors with 3D mode when you can embed an editor into (G)Zdoom)? But exiting the "tab map" will take a node building every time you do it (it can take few seconds to complete. Every time you switch from 2D to 3D). After this, we can speak about embedding Oblige :)
KirbyFaz98
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by KirbyFaz98 »

Aight, I've had this idea for a while now, and it would be a nice way to bridge the gap between Doom and SRB2. An SRB2 Sonic Companion mod for Doom. With abilitys to spindash, and to use his thok. I have a PK3 file for it, but I've gone as far as taking his sprites from SRB2 and putting them in the file. I would continue from there, but IDK how to make companions. It would be cool though.
UnTrustable

Post by UnTrustable »

In the past i created M.A.D. (Monsters Arena of Doom).
Its was a VIDEO project, just in an attempt to get the Skulltag Community in some sort of a relax state.
Also to support Skulltag At that time.
Skulltag is no more. They continued as Zandronum.

Anyways, i created M.A.D.2 which is a little more bigger than M.A.D. (1)
Its also a Video Project.
In time i asked the community if some like to join THAT project.
All they had to do was making a monster, to participate.
It did not have any succes, i dont know why. They accused me of stealing their monsters.

Anyways, i recently started a M.A.D.2. World.
This project (if i ever finish this by the way...??) is about YOU, the player, who can buy a monster from store,
and participate a monster fight. If you win, you ehhr... win...??
You will earn price money, and with that you can even buy yourself a better or more powerful monster, to win bigger fights.
Some monsters will be upgradable...just ALITTLE. Faster walk.... little by little more damage.... more resistant to fire, or cold, or whatever.
These modifications will not apply to all the available monsters.

In the begin, you will have nothing ofcourse.
Basicly you step in to 'the world' where you have to find a way to get money.
Once you have that, you buy yourself a monster, probably the most cheapest one.
You win some fights, - the monster fights...not you! - ... and get some more money, you get yourself a better one.
You can hold a couple of monsters in 'your pocket', im not sure how many you will be able to carry...i have not decided yet.
Eventually, the said 'monster arena' have been conqeured, so you went on to bigger and more darker Arena's...probably an other map number.

Their will be shops, like where you can buy powerups, to modify your monster of choice.
They will end up beaten up after every battle, so you have to heal them every time.
In Bigger and the more expensive Arena's, you will be able to use powerups DURING the fights.
Think as applying a Megasphere, to while battleing it increases in Health.
These Arena's allowing only one powerup, each fight.

Later..in even MORE expensive Arena's you might even allowed to use 2 powerups.

And....MORE LATER... there will be a possebility to MERGE 2 powerups into 1 powerup, just because some Arena's allowing only 1 powerup, but your monster works better with 2 powerups..so you combine them into 1 powerup.

And now the main tricky part is.... all your efforts, all your gear, all your monsters, and all their modifications, will be brought back into some CODE....
This code can be entered, once you enter 'the world'.
Consider this code as some sort of a 'saved game'.

The engine does NOT permit that i can read-out player names, so i have to make a work-around, by useing player classes of some sort.

As i already know... the Doom-engine has limitations, so i guess, this idea, ...ehmm... stays as an idea.... :|
However... its a nice challenge for me to try this.
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

I came up with this idea of using the player's chat to progress through the game. Kinda like one of those old text adventure games. Or perhaps something like a cross between Quake 3's bot chat interaction, combined with adventure elements that progress the game. I,e, the game would react to the player's chat commands.

I wonder if something like that is doable in GZDoom. I've glanced at some ACS functions earlier today but I couldn't find anything that I think could help with this system. Oh well.
VicBorAng

Post by VicBorAng »

Ok, so we've had plenty different companion mods arround right?
The most recent of witch is Isabelle.

So inspired by Doom Eternal. I just got a companion idea that would be cool to see.
Spoiler:
TDRR
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by TDRR »

Agentbromsnor wrote:I came up with this idea of using the player's chat to progress through the game. Kinda like one of those old text adventure games. Or perhaps something like a cross between Quake 3's bot chat interaction, combined with adventure elements that progress the game. I,e, the game would react to the player's chat commands.

I wonder if something like that is doable in GZDoom. I've glanced at some ACS functions earlier today but I couldn't find anything that I think could help with this system. Oh well.
I tried looking into a way to get the chat system's input with ACS, but unfortunately there aren't any functions or hacks to get anything out of it.

However, ZScript supports custom text fields and related things apparently, so this could very well be used instead of the built-in chat system. Might be worth looking into if you know any ZScript (or are interested in learning any).

Return to “General”