ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by m8f »

Agentbromsnor wrote:I came up with this idea of using the player's chat to progress through the game. I,e, the game would react to the player's chat commands.
Somewhat related. Besides shooting, it has commands to turn and dash.

Project idea: killer dance. A mod that watches player coordinates, and if player movements match certain patterns, executes events like damaging enemies, pushing them back, gaining temporary shield, etc.
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

TDRR wrote:
Agentbromsnor wrote:I came up with this idea of using the player's chat to progress through the game. Kinda like one of those old text adventure games. Or perhaps something like a cross between Quake 3's bot chat interaction, combined with adventure elements that progress the game. I,e, the game would react to the player's chat commands.

I wonder if something like that is doable in GZDoom. I've glanced at some ACS functions earlier today but I couldn't find anything that I think could help with this system. Oh well.
I tried looking into a way to get the chat system's input with ACS, but unfortunately there aren't any functions or hacks to get anything out of it.

However, ZScript supports custom text fields and related things apparently, so this could very well be used instead of the built-in chat system. Might be worth looking into if you know any ZScript (or are interested in learning any).
Unfortunately I don't know much about ZScript. I can script a few things if I need to, but ZScript is generally way outside of my abilities since I'm not much of a programmer at all.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

one-hit-death bullet hell, but all the projectiles pass through you harmlessly if at the time of impact your angle to them was more than 50 degrees off from your facing angle - i.e., at fov 90 (45 on each side) you almost certainly must have been able to see it shortly before impact.

also nearly started this but the "but with altfires and combos" just left me drawing a blank.
edgymemester

Post by edgymemester »

Someday in the distant future I want to remake an old wad called Maruta 731 about an allied spy infiltrating a Japanese chemical warfare/human experimentation laboratory in Manchukuo. The wad was really rough around the edges but the grainy black and white filter mixed with a foreboding metal soundtrack, general darkness of the levels, scenes of grisly torture all over the base, clutch gameplay where reloads were frequent yet quick and enemies which were quite damaging but also very low in health, etc made it feel moody and enjoyable to me.

I'd have everything in black and white except the blood/gore, keep the soundtrack, redesign the levels and produce higher quality sprites. Weapons will be your standard arisaka + bayonet, type 100 SMG, Chinese C96 pistol instead of the expected Nambu (so that it won't have to share an ammo type with the type 100), electric surgical blade, flamethrower, land mines and fictional manville-like grenade launcher which shoots poison gas grenades. The player will begin at the exterior of the laboratory, which will be an icy monolith adorned with guard towers and accompanied by the looping sound of howling wind. Then, you'll make your way through the stony concrete barracks guarding the laboratory, dotted with checkpoints to process new arrivals of human guinea pigs. Next will be the plague rat kennels, which is where things start getting a little heavy. Finally, as you descend into the lower levels of the sterile laboratory, it will feel more and more like you're stumbling upon the aftermath of something horrible as the scenes of death become gnarlier and more commonplace, and instead of having dumb cliche ambient sound effects to mimic the cries of dying prisoners, they will just sit there solemnly and let the macabre display speak for itself. Remember, the real life Unit 731 wasn't just a bunch of deranged sickos killing people in their basement, it was a government run MACHINE manned by some very bright scientists with the sole purpose of efficiently, industrially and systematically torturing unsuspecting Chinese peasants in the most medieval manner possible, and THAT is what makes it frightening. That is precisely the kind of atmosphere that a game like Doom is perfect for reflecting. People forget that Doom (especially in the cultural context of 1990's america) was made to SHOCK, the tastelessness/exploitation factor of putting you in control of some crazed gunman running amok across a gore splattered military base surrounded by satanic symbolism WAS one of its most prominent advertising points, even if it looks like nothing these days.

I played around with making a type 100 sprite from a sketchfab model (later throwing it out) and completely redrawing the hazmat scientist sprite sheet from the original before deciding to shelve my efforts. I anticipate to begin work on this mod after about 10 years because I'm a very slow/lazy worker and that's probably how long it will take for me to complete my current project.
Staledonut
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Staledonut »

Was Listening to some retro 80s synth music and started thinking of a cool gameplay mod / visual feast thing. not even sure if its possible to create in GZdoom. its kind of like Crypt of the Necrodancer with you only being able to shot when the beats hit. and all the wall textures turn into a brutally glorified music visualizer of pure neon lights and colors and cranks the volume for a few seconds when you kill monsters. and then you have score and multipliers if you keep the killing going :)

just putting this here for fun. i have no idea how to create it because of my extremely limited coding knowledge.
Tohg7.
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Tohg7. »

I've had ideas to Buff the Chainsaw to the level of it's N64 counterpart, but i am unable to code a melee weapon, what am i supposed to do?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Tohg7. wrote:I've had ideas to Buff the Chainsaw to the level of it's N64 counterpart, but i am unable to code a melee weapon, what am i supposed to do?
Learn how to code a weapon, of course. :mrgreen:
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Tohg7. wrote:I've had ideas to Buff the Chainsaw to the level of it's N64 counterpart, but i am unable to code a melee weapon, what am i supposed to do?
Learn how to do so. :D

I highly recommend checking out the ZDoom wiki, mainly pages for the Doom's chainsaw and this tutorial I just found.
It seems to explain things alright, so it might be worth checking out.

And if there are some issues, people at the scripting subforum can always help out, me included. :D

And now for the idea I had randomly last night:
Basically a hub, where the player is inside their own spaceship. The spaceship has several places of interest like living quarters, where the player can heal up, an armory, where they can purchase ammo/armor, an infirmary, where they can purchase portable healing items and a R&D lab, where they can develop new weapons.
There would also be a command center, where the player can pick a mission to do on various planets / other spaceships.
The player would start with a shotgun and would have to develop new weapons at the R&D lab. (they would pick a project, and then have to complete x number of missions before it's complete)
Every mission would have an objective to do, and completing it would complete the mission successfully, otherwise the player can just abandon the mission if it proves to be too problematic.
Missions would be ranked based on difficulty. (harder missions provide more rewards, at the cost of being, well, harder)
Missions would be split into two kinds: contract-work, where the player gets awarded money for completing it + all loot that was found on the mission, and non-contract-work, where the player only keeps mission loot, like investigating a distress signal for example.

I will probably mess around with this idea a bit, but I don't see myself being able to do anything with it, I'm no mapper.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

I have idea for Heretic map:
You swim on the galleon. All map is one Big, wooden ship. There is like 5 decks. With all types of rooms.

there could be event when ghost ship emerge from water and ram into the side, but ghost-ship would just merge inside the hull, and ghost golem and knight jump on the main deck as new enemies.

there could be multiple wings of wraith that could allow player to fly to the side (for whatever reason, abordage another ship?), but be careful to not fall into the sea.

Map end when you: get scuba diving set and jump to water (otherwise its death) / release and escape at the boat / get control over steering wheel

Unfortunately my mom dont let me, because ships are always about pirates, and piracy is bad.
UnTrustable

Post by UnTrustable »

Lagi wrote:Unfortunately my mom dont let me, because ships are always about pirates, and piracy is bad.
Hehehehehe :D :lol:
UnTrustable

Post by UnTrustable »

Jarewill wrote:And now for the idea I had randomly last night:
Basically a hub, where the player is inside their own spaceship. The spaceship has several places of interest like living quarters, where the player can heal up, an armory, where they can purchase ammo/armor, an infirmary, where they can purchase portable healing items and a R&D lab, where they can develop new weapons.
There would also be a command center, where the player can pick a mission to do on various planets / other spaceships.
The player would start with a shotgun and would have to develop new weapons at the R&D lab. (they would pick a project, and then have to complete x number of missions before it's complete)
Every mission would have an objective to do, and completing it would complete the mission successfully, otherwise the player can just abandon the mission if it proves to be too problematic.
Missions would be ranked based on difficulty. (harder missions provide more rewards, at the cost of being, well, harder)
Missions would be split into two kinds: contract-work, where the player gets awarded money for completing it + all loot that was found on the mission, and non-contract-work, where the player only keeps mission loot, like investigating a distress signal for example.
You are basicly describing my idea, however... mine is more focussed on monster fighting.
Anyway, i still have so little to show whatever i've done sofar, and so i can't recruit help just now... but if i was already so far... i would have done so.
However... you say you can't map....? But what CAN you do...? Can you write scripts and such...? I have so little knowledge for coding in multiplayer, i could use some help with that anyways.
I also want a hub based system, but i dont think a multiplay thing, is working this way. :cry: So if i can pull this of, i need multiple servers with all available maps, and so you 'travel' by joining the according server.
I also need to figure a way out to have my own type of 'game saved'...so whatever result you gained in some server, you can continue THAT result in an other server.
I have an idea for this, but its not bulletproof.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

UnTrustable wrote:However... you say you can't map....? But what CAN you do...? Can you write scripts and such...? I have so little knowledge for coding in multiplayer, i could use some help with that anyways.
I can do some things in DECORATE and ACS, but I'm no expert at it.
As for multiplayer, I'm unsure. I mostly focus on singleplayer, since to playtest a multiplayer mod, one has to do it with someone.
I also tend to avoid multiplayer in general.
UnTrustable

Post by UnTrustable »

Yeah, me too. Doing mostly singleplay mode, and im no expert myself. ;)
Anyways...your idea comes close to mine, if only our theme is different, if i ever can pull this off (alone sofar), i hope you like it.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

Jarewill wrote:
UnTrustable wrote:However... you say you can't map....? But what CAN you do...? Can you write scripts and such...? I have so little knowledge for coding in multiplayer, i could use some help with that anyways.
I can do some things in DECORATE and ACS, but I'm no expert at it.
He is lying.
Tohg7.
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Tohg7. »

A Zdoom project idea i have is a Gameplay Wad that gives all of DooM 2's weapons a Russian Overkill/Street Figher-esque Special+Super move system. how Special moves would work is pressing a series of directional buttons then pressing a fire button (m1 or m2), how a super move would work is if you have 50 health and 25 armor left over, you can press a button to sacrifice some health to be able to use a super move, which are devestating with all weapons, once the super meter is full by sacrificing health and armor, you can press a slightly longer series of buttons to unleash a super, take for example with the BFG, the BFG super move turns the BFG into the master spark for 5 seconds and costs 300 cell ammo. Of course, there's a bunch of people who do not like stopping to use a special move so of course, there would be a slide button that you could use to quickly buffer the special/super during a slide, doing a special or super move would immediately cancel the slide. For the fists, there would be 3 attacks, a light attack (primary fire: left or right jab), a strong attack (alt-fire, uppercut) and a Fierce attack (Zoom button: Kick), the special moves would not be excessively more powerful than the weapon itself, but just powerful enough to make the difference between killing an arch vile in 7-8 attacks or killing it in 5-7 attacks.

Return to “General”