ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
LossForWords

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by LossForWords »

i think there should be another postal/postal 2 mod or tc.
Sickened

Post by Sickened »

Pyrolex wrote:I had ideas for an angled weapons mod. I know a few people have wanted it to be a thing, so I thought I'd take a stab at it. Originally I was working with voxels to make the sprites, but that kinda proved to be a really dumb idea.

I then found UnTrustable's "Double Your Gun, Double Your Fun" mod. Most of the sprites look perfect for what I want, so I PM'd him asking for permission to use them, but the lack of a response is kind of signaling "no".

EDIT: If anyone would like to help, all they'd need to do is create sprites, I can do the Decorate programming.
Nice! Appreciate the fact you're actually willing to do it. Like many have said before "I would do it myself..." but I'm actually trying to learn how to use SLADE3 to rip features from mods and try to make them compatible if there are any issues regarding that. All for my own entertainment of course.
Pyrolex

Post by Pyrolex »

(angled weapons cont)

I just realized UnTrustable skewed the vanilla weapon sprites a bit so they look angled. Maybe I should try this myself to see how it looks.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

I had a ton until the last windows update somehow killed OpenGL...
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

Anybody ever thought of remaking Nanashi no GAME (The Nameless Game) in GZDoom? I feel it could work nicely... Or maybe make an OG story that functions similar to The Nameless Game.
Deii

Post by Deii »

Ah, this one is a bit of an old thing I wrote back in February of this year and have shown to a couple of friends (and on the forum, GAA1992): https://pastebin.com/Jin3P6K1

GAA already found it interesting, if only in the inspiration department.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

After making few SFX addons for Final Doom, I have thought plenty of SFX addon ideas for each other Weaponsets;

Evilution = Modern action movies

BTSX = Criminally Underrated SF shows/movies

Ancient Aliens = Star wars or Star trek(maybe both?)

... Probably i should stop making these addons because i still got things to do!
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

A TC of The Fortress of Dr. Radiaki?
Sickened

Post by Sickened »

Is it possible to remove that small radius of light around the player in the software renderer?
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

Potato GZDooM! "Min Comp. Max DooM! " Having as much custom content in GZDooM all at once while still retaining a minimum of 25 FPS on weak machines.
MrToots

Post by MrToots »

looking for some input
In a mod focusing solely on melee combat where the BFG is a Compound Bow, what should the altfire be
other than zoom or explosive arrows?
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

MrToots wrote:looking for some input
In a mod focusing solely on melee combat where the BFG is a Compound Bow, what should the altfire be
other than zoom or explosive arrows?
Quick-stab a motherfucker with an arrow.

EDIT: Seems there's a censorbot now. Interesting.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

I feel like I've seen "smeghead" on here before, so I don't think it's actually anything new, it just exists solely for whatever word you were trying to use.
Naniyue

Post by Naniyue »

"Smeg" and "Smeghead" were often used in the great British comedy Red Dwarf in place of swear words.

A Postal 2 TC would be very interesting. It should have a couple of large, randomized maps for repeated play, with complete 3D graphics, since GZDooM can totally handle the polygon count.
DoomN00b

Post by DoomN00b »

Right, so I've actually got a new, semi-viable idea for a Doom-Mod! = )

Wolfenstein 3D pt2: RoTT! Well, this would of course be the second such mod, the other one being on the Wolf-engine, so I'm not sure about the name yet. Thinking about calling it "Rise of the Wolf" as well.

I've started playing the original, and just completed the ReRott mod for ZDoom as well - I'm thinking that in order to make my mod different, there's a couple of things I need to do:

1. GZDOOM GRAPHICS! Dynamic lights, 3D-objects (gads) in particular, special effects and HD-graphics for textures and sprites.

2. RoTT-map conversion! I've got the source-code for Wolf2-Doom, Simbey's utility for converting wolf maps to Doom-maps - in theory, it should be possible to modify it to transfer RoTT-maps - especially since I have the map-format description transcribed from the original com-files! :D Only such description in modern word-format ever made, to my knowledge. (or is it included in the RoTT source-code...? Obviously, I guess.)

3. Enemy-alteration! Something I felt when playing ReRoTT was that the enemies were in some ways a bit dull, and needed sprucing up - they aren't dissimilar enough, graphically, and there's a problem with balance to some of them - this needs to be corrected!

4. Unique weapon-mix! By combining the original Rott design-spec weapons with some of the final products, I can get a unique feeling from the game - I also plan to implement AMMO-conservation for all weapons - no more infinite ammo.

So, what have I done so far:

1. I've started digging up various effects from Realm667, looking into the WolfHQ sprites, contacted Thandor about his Wolf2:Rott sprites, installed Blender and started looking at tutorials. I've also started remaking the originals textures and some of the objects from the original design-spec.

2. This one is tricky... because my programming-skills suck! I do know a few guys that have at least some skill here, so maybe I'll get unstuck with this soon enough.

3. I've started analyzing the stats and properties of the various enemies, and how they relate to each other, and I'm starting to get a feel for their individual roles as well as some of their
weaknesses in design - balancing is certainly an issues for some of them. I've got some ideas to create more differences in uniforms, COLOUR and SIZE.

4. I've started analyzing weapons, and seeing which ones need to go - for instance, there's no need for BOTH a Gatling Gun, and a QUADRUPLE Triad Gatling Gun from the original spec, nor may there be a reason for both a Bazooka and a Heatseeker.

I've started looking into improving stuff like the power-ups as well - Elasto-mode in particular has potential! Not entirely sure if I will use traditional sprites and pixel-editing to make the characters... it might also be a good idea to look into recreating the characters in Blender, using a pixel-shader and then creating turn-around sprites from the results - could also help to create a more compelling mod, with a different approach - it's a lot more work to learn Blender though! I probably need to do that anyway though, if I am to make my own game in the future.

What do you think guys?? : D Do I have a good idea here? What pitfalls should I avoid, when I start this? What can I do to make it more unique and/or compelling?

Return to “General”