ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
ReaperAA
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by ReaperAA »

Getting back to the topic, I have an ideas in my mind.

A mod which is the doom's equivalent of "Wrath of Cronos" mod for Hexen. Just like WoC, it would have various classes, each having their own unique arsenal and the unique skills, strengths and weakness. The classes could be as follows(but they can be different if desired).

Soldier: This would have standard issue weapons. He would be good at closes to mid range combat. Only Basic abilities like grenades, lasermines etc.
Marksman/sniper: Weak at close range but very powerful for long range combat. Arsenal would include stuff like Sniper rifles, Railguns. Abilities could include cloak, slowmo, sticky bombs etc.
Engineer: This class could have unorthodox weapons like freezegun, lightning gun, flamethrower. Abilities could include stuff like ammo crafting(like mana regeneration in WoC), setting turrets etc.
Scientist: This class would be focused around using bio weaponry. Weapons could include stuff like poison bombs, biorifle(UT style). Abilities could include stuff like medicine crafting(healing), stun bomb, hallucination darts, steroid stim(temporary berserk mode).
superxash

Post by superxash »

An idea I'm toying with right now.

Inspired by stuff like Blade of Agony, Bioshock, and the 2013 Tomb Raider remake, a Wolfenstein-esque 'weird war' story set during the Pacific Campaign of World War 2, where a soldier is sent to investigate bizarre intel coming from a Japanese-occupied island.

"Concept art", meant to be the hero (currently) and an enemy type attempt.

Hero is (meant to be) based on MMA hall of famer Don Frye, and trying to make an armored enemy inspired by a scene from Suckerpunch.

Hope they're passable. Hope it sounds, at least, interesting. I just hope i get farther than previous ideas I've had.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Both bits of concept art look very nice indeed. :thumb:
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Individual weapon / gameplay mods that add the weapons, pickups and monsters from:
  • Turok
  • Turok 2
  • SiN
  • Blood 2
  • Quake 2
  • Quake 4
  • Serious Sam
  • Serious Sam 2
  • etc.
...all in the same vein as ZRift.
I've currently got my hands full with my own projects and apprenticeship, which is mainly why I haven't looked into it myself.
Assassin of Purity
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Assassin of Purity »

A Doom RPG total conversion for Strife Quest For The Sigil Key. It would be the sequel to Doom 2 RPG. The mod would have Strife's gameplay obviously, but it'll have weapons from Doom.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

A mod inspired by Paradroid 90. No minigame, but rather kill (via melee combat, maybe) enemies to take over their bodies (and abilities/weapons). Your health runs out over time, though, so you you have to keep finding new enemies to change into or risk reverting back to your basic, weak form. Robotic enemies would make the most sense, as in Paradroid 90, but some kind of body-switching explaination like Sacrifice might also work. This mod wouldn't necessarily need special levels for it, even vanilla Doom campaigns could be played with it for a whole new gameplay experience.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

I've said this before, but Paradroid was an awesome idea, that was sadly ahead of it's time and let down by the hardware available. I think a special wad would be best, because some of it was at it's best when you had to defeat the other robots through puzzles. The early 2000 game, Messiah, did something like this. Except with less robots... and more prostitutes. Hmm...
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Cherno wrote:A mod inspired by Paradroid 90. No minigame, but rather kill (via melee combat, maybe) enemies to take over their bodies (and abilities/weapons). Your health runs out over time, though, so you you have to keep finding new enemies to change into or risk reverting back to your basic, weak form. Robotic enemies would make the most sense, as in Paradroid 90, but some kind of body-switching explaination like Sacrifice might also work. This mod wouldn't necessarily need special levels for it, even vanilla Doom campaigns could be played with it for a whole new gameplay experience.
Possess Me! is pretty much what you're looking for, I think.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I was planning this for a comic book super hero, but i am pretty sure this can be somehow adapted to GZDoom:

A normal guy that used a drug mixed with lethal components. It was meant to kill him but he survived and it granted super powers such as super strength and super agility as long as the effects were active. Like any other drug, he started to get addicted, and the more he used it, the more he had to rise the dosage to keep his powers and his addiciton satisfied at the same time.

Of course he would become a threat to himself as time dragged on.
TDG

Post by TDG »

Hello all,

This one has probably been discussed before but it will be the first time for me.
In the last couple of days I have been talking with Vostyok about my ideas/wishes for Doom mods such as a remake of Areyep's Wolfendoom prequel to Doom 1 and recently I also brought up the idea of a remake of Doom 1.

Now I have to tell that I am a fan of storylines in games and I focus most of my attention on that sort of titles. I was around when Doom 1 was released and it of course like others changed my view on gaming on the PC but the FPS that really had an impact on me was the original Half Life on how it combined FPS with storyline and somewhat realistic environments. (places that actually look like how they are called). So for me the Doom franchise mostly became interested with Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil.
But I respect the original Doom games for their contribution to gaming and I also like its graphics and art choices.

The single player map pack for Brutal Doom already showed what a Half Life like Doom could look like without it being a more cinematic experience, but recently I have been replaying Doom 1/Ultimate Doom and it made me think about how this could be made into a more narrative driven game.

The general structure would be maintained (the sequence of locations Doomguy goes through during episode 1, 2, and 3), and a lot of focus would be on the action, but rather than just going to the exit in each level while collecting keys the player would do various missions or quests in each level.
For example; in the nuclear power plant a meltdown is imminent because the control rods have been removed. Doomguy/the player needs to get to the controls and have the rods back inserted to prevent the plant from going critical.

A call from a surviving technician brings Doomguy to the toxin refinery where the technician is holed up and the goal is to free him. The technician from that point on would provide support to Doomguy/the player in form of weapon upgrades and information once Command Control has been retaken. (the information would be optional and mostly for flavor)

In the Phobos laboratory Doomguy needs to find surviving scientists to operate the teleportation facility and the computer station is needed to make the teleporter function etc.

As none of the survivors can accompany Doomguy to Deimos Doomguy is provided with a Virtual Data Assistant that once plugged into computers can provide weapons/tech upgrades and more information if the player likes to read that.
Eventually the player would run into human survivors including one of the marines from Phobos who hands Doomguy his super shotgun before succumbing to his injuries.

In the Deimos laboratory the player observes how Arachnotrons, Mancubi, and Revenants undergo cybernetic grafting to have human weapons and technology fitted onto them and hinting at where the cyberdemon got his cybernetic leg and arm missile launcher from.

As I just mentioned, the SSG and enemies from Doom 2 would also make their appearance in this (minus the Icon of Sin though that one could probably be fitted in as well), weapon upgrades (explosive alternative ammo for the pistol, turning the plasma rifle into a plasma thrower or the BFG into a continuous beam weapon), and perhaps even some new weapons and other equipment.

Okay I know this is just fair weather wishing for now but I am curious to know if there would be people that are actually interested in such an experience.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

GAA1992 wrote:A normal guy that used a drug mixed with lethal components. It was meant to kill him but he survived and it granted super powers such as super strength and super agility as long as the effects were active. Like any other drug, he started to get addicted, and the more he used it, the more he had to rise the dosage to keep his powers and his addiciton satisfied at the same time.
I immediately thought of a convicted murderer getting a lethal injection.

Boy I tell ya the plot of this thing pretty much writes itself after that...
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

GAA1992 wrote:A normal guy that used a drug mixed with lethal components. It was meant to kill him but he survived and it granted super powers such as super strength and super agility as long as the effects were active. Like any other drug, he started to get addicted, and the more he used it, the more he had to rise the dosage to keep his powers and his addiciton satisfied at the same time
that sounds like an interesting concept. wonder how that would be adapted into a mod/tc. perhaps with different drugs that give extra abilities at the cost of worse withdrawal side-effects?
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Or maybe, player is weak and powerless, finds drug item, uses drug, powerful for a period of time, powerless again, drug is not so powerful this time, use it again to give more power, after some time drug drains health as side effects, then speed, then the already weak power, then so on, a rare item could serve as a remedy that delays the side effects to happen or even make then regress a bit (maybe Berserk, maybe Blursphere, who knows).

Megasphere or Soulsphere could serve as another type of drug which raises the bar a lot more than the usual thing, player gets exausted from the power trip, needs more drug. I think drugs should be the main star of the show, so weapons shouldn't be more than the vanilla deal. This is something i acknolowdged while seeing TerminusEst13 playing The Arcane Wanderer, and the boys with him just confirmed that. I paid more attention to the weapons than the magic spells themselves.

I mean, if you are doing a game about drugs, you are struggling against the main enemy, which is yourself.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Aside from that, i want to double post on another subject.

I was thinking about a possible second take on Factotum. this time not only the player would have to deal with Weapon durabilities, but also Hunger, Stamina, Alternate ammo types and better jamming states/animations.

Hunger wouldn't be so annoying as in Red Dead Redemption 2, where i seen myself eating a lot of things everytime, but rather a slow HP degrade, very subtle (maybe, 1 HP each 2 minutes). The player will know it's there. Sure, it would be anti-game to make the HP degrade if the player is very low on health, so there would be a HP check for that (like, it degrades to 10 HP and nothing below that).

Stamina would serve for sprinting (obviously) but using heavy weaponry or taking too much damage would make go down, too. I even thought of movement crippling as in Strife (player can't run below 5~10 HP). Staying still or eating/healing would suffice that.

Alternate ammo types can have different results on gameplay in more than obvious ways: It can change the recoil of the weapon you are using it with, as well as the damage, accuracy and therefore, the stamina draining. Sure, a pistol wouldn't do something noticiable, but get a LMG fully loaded and lay the lead on a Baron of Hell to see the results. Maybe this could force players to decide which ammo to use for future bosses or harder events.

Jamming animations would really STOP the player from firing the weapons this time, and consume ammo as well (maybe a chance to recover, but who knows). The player can switch weapons if he wants, or use secondaries to keep smaller threats away, but it would take luck to un-jam the weapon.

This being said, i am not trying to be "serious" about realism. I try to be as fair as possible, as i am not into gameplay systems that punish players very hard for their errors (i.e. putting them on a dead end) as a excuse for difficulty.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

So, is anyone interested in a sort of Commander Keen (the Goodbye Galaxy episodes, mind you) for (G)ZDoom?
The reason i'm asking is because i won't make maps for it (i'm a real terrible mapper) but i can make most (if not all) of the coding required to make a Keen clone in ZDoom, ZKeen, if you will.

There are quite a few reasons why i think this would be good:
1) Online multiplayer that isn't locked to DOSBOX
2) Semi-3D maps! Sort of like Sonic Robo Blast 2's 2D maps
3) A full, easy to use (compared to the other options) Commander Keen engine
4) GZDoom graphical enhancements
5) The Vorticon maps would benefit from this, probably looking 10 times better than in the original
6) The possibility of doing a true Commander Keen: The Universe is Toast with the 3D-ish gameplay once suggested
7) It's Commander Keen, why not?

Return to “General”