ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
eyesoftheworld94

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by eyesoftheworld94 »

This actually builds upon my last post regarding a "TC" of sorts, and I think it's sort of been done in ways (ahem MetaDoom...) but my thoughts are this:

What if id Software had used all available mapping/ gameplay techniques usages from released games with their Tech1 at this point (1997) - Hexen, Heretic, Strife (Conversational dialogue; Polyobs etc) and put it all into Doom 3. Use the cut BONUS music from some of the 20th Anniversary content from Final Doom, and Doom 64,and music from the PSX Doom for music selection.

Use textures from doom 3.

Have the levels broken down into Episodes, like the original Doom was, using MAP INFO and Text Screens.

3 Episodes/ 27 levels divided into 8 missions per Ep:

Episode 1: Classic Monsters/weapons from Doom 1+2 // Boss Battle
Episode 2: Mix of some old monsters/ new weapons Doom 2 + Unmaker and some of 3+4 /// Boss Battle x 2
Episode 3: Mostly Doom 3+ 4 enemies// Boss Battle x3

TL:DR: Project Idea - What if IdSoftware had made Doom 3 in 1997, with all the extra functionality of other games incorporated (Heretic, Hexen, Strife) ?
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

That also sounds like something that could go along with MetaDoom... since that aims to combine all versions of Doom into one mod, to some extent. :D
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Also, stuff like Plutonia 2 and Knee Deep in ZDoom are kind of that...
Metalworks41190

Post by Metalworks41190 »

Stop me if ya heard this one before but has anyone made a sprite/model of the gun that Doomguy is holding in his right hand based on the cover art? https://www.doomworld.com/pageofdoom/gr ... Poster.jpg
DoomN00b

Post by DoomN00b »

Yo! = ) New to the game, the community and modding, but I gotta' say, this community is, and always have been, from the looks of it, immensely creative, and inspiring!

I've got quite a few ideas, now let's see, which ones make sense...

1. Aliens TCR - the R would stand either for Resurgence or Refresh - basically, taking the original TC and updating the textures, changing the motion-tracker into a movie-accurate one, add an intro inspired by the movies, and finally... adding a RIPLEY-MODE!! ^^ Instead of Doomguy's face down in the status-bar, it would be Ellen Ripley's! Complete with sound-bytes and quotes from the movies. It would be an HD-mod, perhaps even 4K.

2. Doom4 EX - Ex stands for EXperience! A thing I've noticed with the D4T and D4D -mods is that they still haven't quite implemented things from D4 yet, rather going with a bit of a remix of the classic instead. I would make small remixes on what they have done - such as adding in jump, platforming and ledge-grabbing animations and mechanics (this is the most important difference between Doom1 and Doom4 - iD finally cracked platforming in an FPS, and did a bang-up job! when you play, you move SEVERAL levels in the geometry of a map - fighting should be based on this experience), and I would create a small multiplayer map-pack with remixed variations on the actual MP-levels from D4.

D4T has the right idea with the announcer-voice - why the h*ll it's not Peter Cullen's gruff robo-voice in the actual original game's MP I will never know! So I'd keep the announcer-voice - but I'd change the pistol - instead of unlimited ammo, it would now feature ammo - much like the original gun and the mini-gun shares ammo, so would the D4-gun and the Plasma-gun share ammo. It would still work as a charge-shot, but it would deplete more ammo doing so. I'd up the damage slightly, to justify the change into ammo-use. I would also keep their idea of using monster-kills for upgrade-points, but I would EXPAND on it! Now, you would also get xp-points from finding secrets, the harder the secret is to find, the more XP-points! ; )

I would also create something similar to the Brutal Doom Starter Pack - a D4EX starter pack! The pack would include both a small single player campaign and a small MP map-pack. The single-player campaign would be set either PRIOR to Doom 4, explaining how Doomguy's armour got upgraded to Doomslayer (thanks to the help of the last surviving members of another dimension Hell took over), OR, it would be set AFTER D4! Finally giving the fans some more single-player content. ^^

3. RUIN - a mod with TC-tendencies! You take the role as one of the last Hell-lords, an actual individually sentient Demon - the Icon of Sin has united the dimension of Hell, and is finally expanding their realm, by invading other realms - but it did so by eliminating all indivduality in hell, everything is now IoS! But you... you still possess individuality, and thanks to IoS ongoing invasion of Earth-realm, you have a plan for becoming the NEW controlling intelligence of Hell! Gameplay would only feature the occult or hellish weapons of doom, but including some new ones where you rip off demonic organs and create NEW weapons! Multiplayer would feature pixel-models of the various hell-armours from D4, as well as various demons, including new ones, to control.
The name is a bit of a wordplay - Ruin is actually a synonym for... DOOM! But instead of humanity, you're fighting for demon-kind! ;)

4. D4Q3 - Similar thing to D4EX, but for the Q3-engine instead. Would feature remixed MP-map-pack, but also possibly some SP-content. The focus would be on recreating D4MP, but without some of the changes which the fans did not like. It would NOT just be a visual skin for Q3 though! Quake and Doom multiplayer should be different - no bunny-hopping here, and a slightly slower tempo - just somewhat higher than Doom4 tempo. It would take a que from the upcoming Quake Champions, and let players select ONE weapon as a loadout, but this weapon would be weaker than the ones available on the map.

This mod would feature ripped assets straight outta' Doom4, weapons, player-models and everything! Just down-scaled to run on older systems and to focus more on the gameplay than the visual fidelity.
RockstarRaccoon

Metalworks41190 wrote:Stop me if ya heard this one before but has anyone made a sprite/model of the gun that Doomguy is holding in his right hand based on the cover art? https://www.doomworld.com/pageofdoom/gr ... Poster.jpg
Oh Damn, I KNOW I've seen a weapon like that SOMEWHERE...
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

DoomN00b wrote:This mod would feature ripped assets straight outta' Doom4, weapons, player-models and everything! Just down-scaled to run on older systems and to focus more on the gameplay than the visual fidelity.
That seems like an excellent idea for getting a DMCA takedown without trying too hard.
eyesoftheworld94

Post by eyesoftheworld94 »

Has anyone thought of demaking a TC of the 2009-2015 Wolfenstein series onto the Gzdoom engine (I mean the 2009 game, & the New Order / Old Blood. ) - adapting it to work on the engine. Would be pretty cool.
DoomN00b

Post by DoomN00b »

Arctangent wrote:
DoomN00b wrote:This mod would feature ripped assets straight outta' Doom4, weapons, player-models and everything! Just down-scaled to run on older systems and to focus more on the gameplay than the visual fidelity.
That seems like an excellent idea for getting a DMCA takedown without trying too hard.
D'OH!!

Yeah, you're probably right there... I suppose I thought it would work when it's a mod for one of their own games, yeah? So, a player would then still need to buy one of their games to play the content.

So, do you suppose it would be valid to aim for porting D3-content into Q3, and then modyfing it, to get that D4-experience in the Q3-engine? My thinking is that it could give the D4-multiplayer a shot at an actual player-base, since I think the MP in D4 has a lot of cool ideas, and deserves a shot at life.

On another note, I also just noticed that Ruin is already taken as a game-name, so I'd probably have to rename it, if I ever make the mod. Hmm... perhaps... Ruination? Yeah, that could do it... Or "By Fire Consumed!"
RockstarRaccoon

Eh, you could probably get away with it if you ask me. I'd say the issue is that there's not much to get out of that project. Maybe if you did something with the source ports of the Id Tech 4 engine, you could get comparable visuals and gameplay going, and make it an alternative to Snapmap, but I dunno if that's worth it as Id is patching in new features...

Honestly, I suggest you play around with the software, check out some ongoing projects, and get a feel for what works and what's viable. These are very half baked ideas which don't really utilize the strengths of the engines...
AlphaSoraKun
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by AlphaSoraKun »

I haven't seen people express an interest in a Time Travel mod since... The oldest time Travel mod or Chasm: The Rift? I might not have been the first person to come up with this idea. But, I want to see a mod called "Time Rift."

Complete with new weapons and an enemy type that hurts you and the demons simultaniously. The Rebels.
RockstarRaccoon

Complete with new weapons and an enemy type that hurts you and the demons simultaniously.
Like an Unmaker or an exploding monster or what?
CloudyJason22 wrote:Time Travel
What would this be, other than a narrative mechanic? I think Ancient Aliens has something that seems like Time Travel, but really, it doesn't alter gameplay if it's just a narrative thing.

Long Edit
You know, you could pull something like what Zelda: Oracle of Ages did, and have the player able to go back in time to do things like planting seeds, which become trees and vines in the future. There were also parts where you did things like moving a single boulder which would change a water flow or alter a mountain, or in Symmetry City, where you literally have to go back to when the volcano destroyed the city and fix the protective artifact for them. You could also have a mechanic like Sonic CD where going to the future means that a wall has crumbled or a bridge has been built.

Think outside the box for a while if you do this. Don't make a big deal about time-travel if it's all just a narrative thing.

Also, consider that having real-time time-passage is a very doable thing in newer UDMF maps with ACS, and there are several available systems for it: this could also be a form of "Time travel". What if the player can plant a seed at some point, wait a few days, and the seed grows into a vine in real-time? That makes for a VERY different game, because it drastically alters the pacing, but it could really be interesting to see. Extending that, what about the ability to speed up time, go back and forward days, and possibly reverse time? Those are all very doable with a bit of clever map design and scripting.

There's a huge amount of potential in the idea if you're willing to take it somewhere that isn't just your plot.
Deviluke Roy

Post by Deviluke Roy »

A mod where you kill me for all the stupid stuff that I've done.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Metalworks41190 wrote:Stop me if ya heard this one before but has anyone made a sprite/model of the gun that Doomguy is holding in his right hand based on the cover art? https://www.doomworld.com/pageofdoom/gr ... Poster.jpg
......well I certainly hadn't :shock:

Let's try to work out what it does...

- hitscan or very fast projectile with visible tracer
- cells?
- pierces clean through a hellknight with no change to trajectory
- fires 2 proj... hits... thingies with a very wide spread (yet somehow still having the capacity to go right through a heavy monster)
- minimal "barrel" with the cell-mag placed in front of the grip and action
- no sights

I'm imagining a rapid-fire PDW of some sort, but one that somehow goes clean through HKs like a hot knife through warm butter.

The mechanics of implementing such a gun in ZDoom would be fairly straightforward, but the problem is... why doesn't everyone have this, if it's so vastly more powerful than anything else? Is it some kind of energy that the demons are particularly vulnerable to but not humans or anything else? If so, what is it and where does it come from? ...

EDIT: Of course, if they're not actually HKs but something more like a cybernetic imp, the power range becomes far more plausible without (rather intrusive and possibly canon-contradicting) additional background lore...
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

Now i dont remember if that was once asked (Especialy if i asked this one before) but an homestuck weapon mod? or a problem sleuth weapon mod?
considering that both of these have a s***ton of weapons wich (Granted they are gonna be an eternal pain to sprite or sprite ripping) but they are awesome (Double granted most of these weapons are melee weapons and i seen CAP J. done Karkat scycle) alternatively Problem sleuth has less weapons but the pick ups of said weapons have innoquos double (and i guess you modify some sprites, like the revolver to give it the feel that its from the comic)

alternatively a weapon mod in wich all your weapons are gameboy games but all of them runs on batteries and they need a lot of them to use said weapons

Return to “General”