ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Bitterman

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Bitterman »

I'm sure it's been tried, but has anyone made a healing system that functions similarly to healing in Doom 4?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: grezzo due improvement project

Post by wildweasel »

dentine wrote:because the english version is missing fixes from the main version, I was thinking there should be a project to create an improved, self contained version of grezzo due with better and more clear weapon balancing, bug fixes, and improvements to the hud and English translation.
You might as well also look into making sure the plagiarized content is removed...except wait, that'd leave less than 10% of the mod. :roll:
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I never really understood the appeal of Grezzo, tbh. I tried it once and it just didn't entertain me. Nothing in it really clicked.
Brohnesorge
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Brohnesorge »

I got this idea for a mod while I was scrubbing paint off of some Tyranid minis, but a mod where you play as a Tyranid Prime. I decided on Prime because they get a wide variety of weapons and Biomorphs compared to the human sized Horma/Termagaunts, though they would be HK/BoH sized. Hive Tyrant's would be the next best candidates, but they would be Cyberdemon sized, which would be hard to play.

Anyway, you would have all the weapons in different slots, and could use Biomass that you get from killing enemies and finding on the ground to 'buy' Biomorphs, like Regeneration, Wings, Adrenal Glands that make you faster and stronger in melee, the Extended Carapace from 3E, so on. I even thought out the slots.
Spoiler: Spoilered because kinda long
Really, the only thing stopping me from making it is not really knowing how to deal with 4 arms, not hammering out the details of biomass and Biomorphs, and a complete lack of resources. Not to mention not having any idea how to handle a Tyranid Prime's pskyer powers.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Grezzo just looks like a Carmageddon fangame with more blasphemy?? (also has the same name as the company that makes Zelda apparently???)
Really, the only thing stopping me from making it is not really knowing how to deal with 4 arms
fwiw the doomguy doesn't have arms at all, just a notional location in the middle of him where the bullets come out!
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I've been thinking Strife and Heretic seemed to be missing a piece each... then I figured... what if Strife and Heretic were combined? The concepts of Heretic are perfect for pairing with Strife-like gameplay mechanics...

TL;DR: Heretic First Person RPG, Strife-style.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Bitterman wrote:I'm sure it's been tried, but has anyone made a healing system that functions similarly to healing in Doom 4?
Haven't a lot of people done this? ZION and D4D have enemies drop health and items which home in on the player...
Airos

Post by Airos »

A fun idea that just popped into my head - a 3-episode megawad based on The Divine Comedy.

Quoth the wikipedia
The structure of the three realms follows a common numerical pattern of 9 plus 1, for a total of 10: 9 circles of the Inferno, followed by Lucifer contained at its bottom; 9 rings of Mount Purgatory, followed by the Garden of Eden crowning its summit; and the 9 celestial bodies of Paradiso, followed by the Empyrean containing the very essence of God.
So, 9-10 maps each. Sounds like an episode of Doom to me.

Episode 1: Inferno would be the easiest. It's Hell. A fun way to invert the theme would be to make the level a tower as opposed to a pit.

Episode 2: Purgatorio would be a UAC facility. The loose theme here would be the various ways the UAC has "sinned", (or the ever-familiar theme of "the UAC was tampering with powers beyond their control"). Still, fairly basic Doom stuff, indoor science labs, outdoor mountain and caves.

Episode 3: Paradiso would take place in spaaaace!!!

*ahem* again, quoth the wikipedia:
Dante's nine spheres of Heaven are the Moon, Mercury, Venus, the Sun, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, the Fixed Stars, and the Primum Mobile.
This provides the most room to play around with, since each level can take place either on the surface, or in a space-station in orbit. For the Sun, that level could take place during the shuttle trip between Venus and Mars. The shuttle is crashing into the sun for some reason, and the level can either be about fixing the problem, or reaching an escape pod. For Mars, I imagine a revisit to Phobos Anomaly. Maybe the corruption of Hell has spread. Maybe the UAC has built a huge facility on the site. Maybe both.

It'd also be fun to mess around with new enemies for this episode. Both UAC and Heavenly forces could make appearances throughout.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

^^^best idea on this thread so far.

EDIT: though I still kinda want a co-op boss arena based on this.
revo794

Post by revo794 »

Is there any one other man who's interested in making a Vietnam war-themed DM mod? Cause if so, I can work in the graphics/sounds/basic scripts department.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

I might have said it before, but here goes the idea again: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance in Doom. At least a playable Raiden with Zandatsu and stuff.
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

revo794 wrote:Is there any one other man who's interested in making a Vietnam war-themed DM mod? Cause if so, I can work in the graphics/sounds/basic scripts department.
Look at the game "NAM", as I'm pretty sure it's about what you're talking about...
cambertian

Post by cambertian »

A parody level titled "Creator's Intent," in which all of the fun secrets are along a single convoluted path. Said path naturally closes off if you, say, cross the wrong linedef, or have an enemy cross a certain linedef, etc.

[Obligatory "Woah there, Satan" comment here]
Brohnesorge
Operating System Version (Optional): Win10

Post by Brohnesorge »

Another one I've been entertain the idea of developing is one I'd call Sorcerer. It'd be a dual Doom/Heretic mod, or maybe just Heretic, where you play as a D&D 3.5/Pathfinder RPG Sorcerer. Each weapon slot would be a level of spell (Slot 1 is 1st level spells, Slot 2 is 2nd level spells, so on).

Spell management is one of the things I wouldn't know how to handle, or how to translate Spells per Day to GZDoom and have it still be fair. Maybe use the Spell Point system instead. And Metamagic Feats are another thing I can't think of a good way right now to translate. Custom menus a la Guncaster or D4D are involved, which is something outside my skill range right now.

Maybe when I get finished with current projects I'll take a long serious look at it.
GlutkoIndustries

Nier: Automadoom - A Doom Mod Idea.

Post by GlutkoIndustries »

Hey there ZDoomers and Nier fans alike! I'm here just to pitch an idea for a crossover mod of Doom with the recent sleeper hit, Nier: Automata.

Of course, it would be a mod of Doom that would center on the main playable characters of Nier: Automata(2B, 9S, and A2) being playable in Doom in their original play styles from Automata.

That means third person hacking(in more ways than one in 9S's case) and slashing of demons, and the use of their respective Pods acting as the weapons from Doom, complete with their ammo being able to be collected.

Maybe the perspective changes seen in Automata can even be possible. Who knows?

Thank you for your time.

-Glutko Industries
Last edited by GlutkoIndustries on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”