ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Assassin of Purity
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Assassin of Purity »

I'm having an idea of a Doom 2 remake or upgrade mod. The game isn't bad, but it does seem a bit like a cash-grab rather than a full fledged sequel. For one, it doesn't have Heretic's freelooking and inventory features. Another issue is that the game seems to have been rushed to get it to the market at the time. Take map 02 for instance...there's a Former Sergeant and a barrel stuck through a wall. It's just very weird, Another problem is the game getting easier with each level you go through. The final boss doesn't really seem that hard. The, "secrets" weren't really secrets at all. A door with a button on it that opens and once you get inside a secret has been revealed...what? Well this mod will fix those issues. The main idea is to make the game as if more time was given to develop it, and to include the upgrades Heretic, Rise of The Triad, and Hexen introduced. This includes...

+Looking up and down (Heretic)

+Inventory Mechanic (Heretic)

+Breakable Objects (Rise of The Triad)

+Jumping (Hexen)

Maps will be remade with these features in mind, and they'll have actual secrets in them.

Since the purpose is to just upgrade Doom 2 with those features, software mode will be supported. You can play it with OpenGL if you wish.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Assassin of Purity wrote:For one, it doesn't have Heretic's freelooking and inventory features.
I have no idea why it would have an inventory system. Freelook would make sense on its own ... but Heretic was developed by Raven, not id, and was released three months after Doom 2, so, uh, I'm not really sure why the lack of a feature from that is a mark against Doom 2.
Assassin of Purity wrote:Another issue is that the game seems to have been rushed to get it to the market at the time. Take map 02 for instance...there's a Former Sergeant and a barrel stuck through a wall. It's just very weird
It's also not at all related to the game being "rushed" - that shotgunner was perfectly capable of moving in the initial release, but ( likely due to not so great tools and minimal QA ) a later patch moved some stuff and resulted in it getting stuck.
Assassin of Purity wrote:The final boss doesn't really seem that hard.
It's only really laughable with freeaim ... which the game wasn't designed for. Sure, it's not super hard with no vertical aiming, either, but it's actually decently difficult when you have to juggle your timing on the rising platform with the fact that you're facing away from the horde that's constantly building up and sending a barrage of projectiles at you.
Assassin of Purity wrote:Rise of The Triad
That's ... a pretty weird game to mention, considering it, again, wasn't developed by id and was released after Doom 2, not to mention it doesn't even have to lose connection of being on the same engine as Heretic does. Besides, Hexen has plenty of breakable objects already, and that's the only thing from RotT that you brought up.
Assassin of Purity

Arctangent wrote:
Assassin of Purity wrote:For one, it doesn't have Heretic's freelooking and inventory features.
I have no idea why it would have an inventory system. Freelook would make sense on its own ... but Heretic was developed by Raven, not id, and was released three months after Doom 2, so, uh, I'm not really sure why the lack of a feature from that is a mark against Doom 2.
Assassin of Purity wrote:Another issue is that the game seems to have been rushed to get it to the market at the time. Take map 02 for instance...there's a Former Sergeant and a barrel stuck through a wall. It's just very weird
It's also not at all related to the game being "rushed" - that shotgunner was perfectly capable of moving in the initial release, but ( likely due to not so great tools and minimal QA ) a later patch moved some stuff and resulted in it getting stuck.
Assassin of Purity wrote:The final boss doesn't really seem that hard.
It's only really laughable with freeaim ... which the game wasn't designed for. Sure, it's not super hard with no vertical aiming, either, but it's actually decently difficult when you have to juggle your timing on the rising platform with the fact that you're facing away from the horde that's constantly building up and sending a barrage of projectiles at you.
Assassin of Purity wrote:Rise of The Triad
That's ... a pretty weird game to mention, considering it, again, wasn't developed by id and was released after Doom 2, not to mention it doesn't even have to lose connection of being on the same engine as Heretic does. Besides, Hexen has plenty of breakable objects already, and that's the only thing from RotT that you brought up.
Oh really? Didn't realise a patch did that.

Whoops. I checked the year Heretic was released, but not the month. Still, I think Doom 2 would have been more amazing if given more time to develop so it would have freelooking, more weapons, and an edited Knight.
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Assassin of Purity wrote:more weapons
The only thing that the Doom 2 arsenal is really missing, functionally, is some sort of high-tier weapon that's good at range, but Doom's general gameplay style ( not to mention how janky and buggy the vanilla mechanics can be ) makes such a thing kinda redundant. Beyond that, though, I ... guess grenades and mines would allow for stuff like attacking around corners or baiting monsters into them, but Doom's monsters don't really have the AI for indirect fire like that to be a major tactical advantage.

There's just not really much room to add new weapons into the core game that aren't just gimmicks or tossing them in for the sake of it. Besides, new weapons get in the way of weapon mod compatibility, which kinda already add new weapon for the sake of adding new weapons that are fresh.
Assassin of Purity wrote:and an edited Knight.
I mean, the entire point of the Hell Knight is that the Baron of Hell has way too much health to be used as a high-tier basic projectile enemy without becoming incredibly tedious, so ... here's a Baron with less health, so it can be used as a high-tier basic projectile enemy.

I mean they could've given it its own graphics, but, why? It's meant to serve the same purpose as the Baron, only it isn't designed for a boss encounter and thus can actually be used more regularly. So, using a palette swap of a Baron with its sounds pitch shifted instantly communicates to the player that "hey, y'know those doors with health? these are also doors with health, but half as much health."
Assassin of Purity

Arctangent wrote:
Assassin of Purity wrote:more weapons
The only thing that the Doom 2 arsenal is really missing, functionally, is some sort of high-tier weapon that's good at range, but Doom's general gameplay style ( not to mention how janky and buggy the vanilla mechanics can be ) makes such a thing kinda redundant. Beyond that, though, I ... guess grenades and mines would allow for stuff like attacking around corners or baiting monsters into them, but Doom's monsters don't really have the AI for indirect fire like that to be a major tactical advantage.

There's just not really much room to add new weapons into the core game that aren't just gimmicks or tossing them in for the sake of it. Besides, new weapons get in the way of weapon mod compatibility, which kinda already add new weapon for the sake of adding new weapons that are fresh.
Assassin of Purity wrote:and an edited Knight.
I mean, the entire point of the Hell Knight is that the Baron of Hell has way too much health to be used as a high-tier basic projectile enemy without becoming incredibly tedious, so ... here's a Baron with less health, so it can be used as a high-tier basic projectile enemy.

I mean they could've given it its own graphics, but, why? It's meant to serve the same purpose as the Baron, only it isn't designed for a boss encounter and thus can actually be used more regularly. So, using a palette swap of a Baron with its sounds pitch shifted instantly communicates to the player that "hey, y'know those doors with health? these are also doors with health, but half as much health."
Grenades would have been a nice addition, as they could be used to throw at groups of enemies that are in a gap, or a room with a hole you can see through. Take Map 02 for example. A dark room you can go into, but Imps and Former Sergeants are in there. You can throw a grenade from above and that'll take care of them.

Well I did mean the Knight's sprite of course. :)
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

I've been wanting this for some time - gungeon but first person and in doom. Just have crapton of all sort fantastic otherwordly weaponry of all shape and taste. Simple as that.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:I've been wanting this for some time - gungeon but first person and in doom. Just have crapton of all sort fantastic otherwordly weaponry of all shape and taste. Simple as that.
This.

The last mods that really showed this off were Xweapon and RL Arsenal. Would love to see some "shotgun full of love" or "crown of guns" in a mapset like scythe2.
superxash

Post by superxash »

Another idea.

This mod's basic idea would basically give the Doom Gal/Doom Girl skin/wad something more unique to it in that it'd give her a story/campaign to go through. The only thing that comes to mind is a story heavily inspired on the two Doom RPGs, a mixture of their core stories with maybe heavy emphasis on Major Kira Morgan's path from RPG 2, and have Dr. Guerard/Kronos (RPG 1) be the main villain. :shrug:

Just a thought really... got the initial idea from seeing someone's attempt to make a more compatible sprite version of Kronos in the sprite library.
TheRealDuskie

Post by TheRealDuskie »

HELP NEEDED

I'm currently in the works of a new mod called CODE: REAPER
It's a work in progress but it has rips from the game BLACK OPS 3
The help needed: Coders for the rips

The project idea:
You play as REAPER, Experimental War-Robot 115:
A robot who can turn their hand into a full auto minigun.
Players will have to gain kills to fill a gauge to activate this ability. Getting kills is up to you.
We're also thinking about implementing double jumps, dashes, and wall running

If this interests you please feel free to join the discord!
We need all the help/support we can get! :)
https://discord.gg/EwaB73
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

This is probably a rather silly idea, but...

Since I've recently fallen completely in love with the Turrican series, the idea has started kicking around in my head to make a Turrican mod for Doom.
Weaponry would work the same way as in the original games: start off with an un-upgraded spreadshot, and collect powerups to improve your weapon or switch it to a new one, while only being able to use one at a time, depending on what you last picked up. Alternate fire would be the rapid surround gun from Turrican 2, or the Laser from 1, whichever is more appropriate.
Normally, your view would be restricted to straight ahead as in vanilla Doom, but when using the altfire, you would be able to look around freely-- while also losing the ability to move.
Since the Turrican games are platformers, and the Doom engine is much better at handling levels that are large on the horizontal axis rather than vertical, the basic gameplay would have to be altered a bit to fit the limitations of the maps.
I'm not sure how the morph ball would be handled, but I don't think it would work very well in a first-person game.
And, of course, I'd use the amazing original soundtracks by Chris Huelsbeck; It's not Turrican without those sweet tunes.
Bodhisattva
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Bodhisattva »

So... I was thinking about another way of balancing overkill weapon mods. Usually, when people use something like Trailblazer, they play on slaughtermaps or/and use mods with more powerful enemies (e.g. Colourful Hell). But what if there was a mod that restricted the amount of ammo, health and powerups that the player could find on a level? This way having all those overpowered weapons would not be so OP anymore, because the player would have to be very careful with the resources he has. I have no idea how GZDoom coding works but I imagine that this mod will have to be loaded before any other mod, so that it can scan all the levels and somehow delete a certain percent of ammo/health/powerup items on the map, just so there are no incompatibilities with the mods that mess with pickups.

By the way, if there is already such a mod, please let me know.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Bodhisattva wrote:if there was a mod that restricted the amount of ammo, health and powerups that the player could find on a level?...
By the way, if there is already such a mod, please let me know.
There is this thing. It has ammo multiplier option. It is meant to be universal, but if it fails to be so, it can be tweaked to fit some particular mod. I think, the same idea can be applied to health amount and powerups power.
Eggs
Location: "I see nothing, I was not here, I did not even get up this morning!"

Post by Eggs »

Since i got Men of Valor recently, i wish there was a Vietnam War Era weapons pack and or a medkit weapon with a long healing animation
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

as cheesy as it might be, i wish there was a revolution x total conversion for doom.
Bodhisattva
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Bodhisattva »

m8f wrote:There is this thing.
Thanks! I'll definitely check it out.

Return to “General”