ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Ultimate Freedoomer

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Ultimate Freedoomer »

Here's something: Remakes of the Final Doom megawads. The thing is, I noticed that there were a lot of fan sequels (TNT: Revilution, Plutonia 2, Plutonia Revisited Community Project) & a thing to do Final Doom PWADs with original levels in the style of the mappers who made the vanIlla IWAD's levels (Final Doom The Way id Did), but there was nothing in the vein of say, Project Remap, The Ultimate Doom II, Doom II Memorial, HontE, Maps of Chaos, or Super Skulltag for Final Doom. Basically, I'm wondering why there's no straight up vanilla level fan remakes for Final Doom. The closest thing we have is the upcoming "level enhancement" feature in Brutal Doom version 21. Now, here's what I had in mind for it:
  • no custom actors, cutscenes, or skill levels, just remakes of the vanilla maps (thus ensuring universal mod compatibility)
  • full Universal Doom Map Format for each level.
  • The level layout would combine the layouts of PC versions of the vanilla maps with the entirely new sectors & enhancements to preexisting sectors from the Playstation 1 Final Doom port (including stuff original to that part of the PSX Doom TC & stuff from that part that didn't make it into said TC) & the Final Doom parts of PSX Doom: The Lost Levels, complete with Nightmare Spectres where appropriate (this would be the only gameplay change), & entirely new stuff in the vein of the above-mentioned Doom II remakes
For the soundtrack:
  • All the songs in both PWADS are in the style of the PlayStation Port's OST, but never more than 5 minutes in length
  • The The Plutonia Experiment portion of the remake has 52 original songs (1 for each level & 1 for each intermission tally screen except the ones after maps 1, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 13, 31, 20, 22, 27, & 29)
  • The TNT: Evilution portion has original songs for maps 3, 9, 15, 32, 17, 18, 19, 21, & 23-30 (thus eliminating both repeated songs & usage of Doom II songs), original songs for all 32 intermissions, original songs for 5 out of the 6 text screens, & an optional addon of alternative original songs for all levels except 10, 14, 19, 22, 27, & 29
  • None of the original songs are reused or shared between either of the PWADs
The problem: I'm a master at DECORATE & DeHacked (my specialty is fixing bugs), editing sprites, & coming up with ideas, but I can't map to save my butt or make music. Additionally, my computer is a toaster & crashes whenever I try to make a map (it has no problem modifying pre-existing maps in small ways, like changing spawns or fixing level bugs. It's mostly adding entirely new stuff or making a map from scratch that makes my system crash).
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

Heres a simple idea for a gameplay mod
IF you have played final fantasy 6 this one you will like it
Basicly ITS a mod in which you can suplex every monster that you can see
and i mean every monsters
TootsyBowl

Post by TootsyBowl »

Weapon mod in which there are 9 basic weapon slots based on the regular Doom roster: Melee, Chainsaw, Pistol, Single Shotgun, Double Shotgun, Automatic (Chaingun), Explosive (Rocket Launcher), Energy (Plasma Rifle), BFG. The plain old weapons are dropped from enemies, but sometimes weapons placed in the map will be a variant of their spawn. For example, the Pump Shotgun can be replaced by the Battle Rifle, which is far more accurate but does less damage overall, or the Double Shotgun replaced with a Flak Cannon that does more damage in return for slow projectiles. Some weapons do less or even no damage in return for passive boosts. For example, if you hardly ever use the Chainsaw, you may choose to have a chainsaw that lets your shotguns do more damage. There is also a quick-melee attack, which alternatives are also available for. The regular weapons are designed to be the most versatile, with the alternate weapons being more specialized to accommodate different playstyles. However, there are only 7 weapon slots: you will have to drop a weapon if you want to pick up one that occupies the same slot. Basically it's Complex Doom's weapons with Team Fortress 2's balancing, and LegenDoom's weapon slot system.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

HELL SUPLEX
eyesoftheworld94

Post by eyesoftheworld94 »

I would love to see a TC of Quake 1 (and yes, i know there are texture replacements for levels, as well as HUD elements and everything.)

What I would like to see are the maps, redone for Doom 2, along with the monsters/ Health/ Armour/ Guns etc done in Sprite format. Now i know people will say "why don't you just play Quake, instead of wanting to recreate it within the Doom engine?"

Well, just the fact that it can be done is part of the reason, as well as the advancements of the GZDoom Engine (the last version of a 1:1 type of a Quake level i've played was E1M1 from Enjay's EnjayDoom2001 (made in '98 i believe and was edited/fixed more so for the year 2001). But with the advancements of GZDoom, a team of skilled mappers could potentially recreate the whole game (and Death match levels (separately, focus on the single player campaign first) for GZDoom for Doom 2.

We've seen a Half-Life mod, and a half-life inspired mod, among others like Duke in Doom etc, so why not a full blown Q1 TC?

so TL:DR : A complete TC using all the features of the GZDoom engine currently, and GZDoom Builder, focusing firstly on the Q1 Campaign (with the original Level order) (as shown here: http://scar3crow.com/2016/01/quakes-original-map-order/ along with the Mission Packs (Scourge of Armagon; Dissolution of Eternity; and Dimensions of the Past (from MachineGames) and then the Deathmatch arenas.

Could be possible to use NashGore with this, to get desired effects of carnage, along with DukeShadows (from Nash again i think?) to apply the 3d more realistic effect on the sprite enemies).

Quake 1 Map Blueprints can be found here: https://www.quakewiki.net/quake-1-maps-blueprints/

And the Quake I Texture Pack that is found on Realm667 by Ceeb.

There are also some of the Quake monsters done already or partially done - Shambler; Vore; Enforcer; Rotfish; Fiend(rottweiler);Scrag; Zombie (based off of Zombie Fodder from R667); Knight/ Death Knight (Could be based off of "Evil Knight" (from R667) which was already based off the Q1 knight, would just need a colour variant to distinguish one another)

that leaves these left:

Enemies:
Ogre
Spawn

Bosses:
Shub-Niggurath
Chthon

Certain Weapons that have been made to reflect the Quake style, but are in heretic style are all of them (based on the Single Player campaign (no mission pack type weapons) Quake Heresy/ Heretic mod) (just needs a conversion to Doom palette).

And then onto the expansions (spoiler tag for that lot of text)
Spoiler:
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Sorta related to Q1 in Doom:

Remaking UDoom (or maybe just a clever ZScript mod) with fewer, mid- to high-level monsters, with priority to anything with a unique attack.

replacing every 6 zombies or 4 shotgun guys -> 1 chaingunner
...5 imps -> 1 revenant
...7 pinkies or spectres - > 1 mancubus
...2 barons -> 1 archvile
...5 lost souls -> 1 cacodemon
...3 cacodemons -> 1 pain elemental

and no SSG.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Vaecrius, The Blasphemer wrote:...and no SSG.
Spoiler: Which of these describes my reaction best?
Matt

Post by Matt »

From a friend on Facebook:
Hey, let's do a Narnia / James Bond mashup! All of Ian Fleming's Bond novels are in the public domain here too!
Calormene Bond
Goldeneye weapons
Satyr monster sprites ...

(for distribution in Canada only)
Matt

Post by Matt »

VladTopol1706

Post by VladTopol1706 »

I already worked on this thing until my PC died so i wanted to share the idea

A Vietnam War mod based on the Vietcong game and influenced by Hideous Destructor

Characteristics:

Weapons:
Spoiler:
Enemies:
Spoiler:
Other Stuff:
Spoiler:
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

A lot of this could be copied straight from Nam/Napalm.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Has anyone ever done something like the following?

Considering that Doom has very little monster variety compared to Doom 2, it would be cool to put all the additional Doom 2 baddies into the classic (U)Doom maps. The most straightforward way would probably be to use MAPINFO to randomly replace 66% of Barons with Hell Knights and 33% or Cacodemons with Pain Elementals, but the other monsters are more unique so ideally, every map would be repopulated by hand.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Funny enough, yes I have, using a RandomSpawner type randomizer.

Unfortunately, no incarnation of that ever turned out as good as I'd hoped. The problem was the RandomSpawners refused to transfer +AMBUSH flags and that was extremely important - monsters replaced or not - for the flow and gameplay of each of the UDoom maps.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Rachael wrote:The problem was the RandomSpawners refused to transfer +AMBUSH flags
:!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?:
VladTopol1706

Post by VladTopol1706 »

Cherno wrote:A lot of this could be copied straight from Nam/Napalm.
Actually only a few things because some consider that mostly of NAM sprites are bad, i only use the textures for maps and the enemies but the weapons not

Return to “General”