ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by skyrish10 »

GAA1992 wrote:
Sorry taking long.

I'd prefer fast zombies not because i like them, but because Doom games have fast paced gameplay.
Oh, the one from 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead 2004?
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

Here's an idea: highly customizable bullet puff mod. Do you want sparks flying out of walls or make your fight look straight out of hard boiled? It'd turn a miss from an underwhelming poof to something that truly makes it feel like an action movie.
XASSASSINX

Post by XASSASSINX »

A idea which i keep having but i have zero clues how to start:

After playing with Doom Rogue like arsenal weapon power packs, i had an idea similiar, but different in very many ways:
I call it, Weaponry Maxilimius. It work like this:

Your weapons would start weaker, LIke, instead of the regular berreta, you would start with a weak lets say 6 shot pistol. After killing (Or Damaging) enemies with it, you would get a level for all guns. You would get one module upgrade, For instance (This is all an idea): A powerpack, which increases the damage in a someway, Commando Module, Which makes the firerate and cartidge size better, Etc etc. It wouldn't be like Doom RL, The modules would upgrade in a more abstrat way.

So what's the difference? Once two upgrades, you would get a full visual modification. For instance:

If you would upgrade your starting pistol (All weapons start weakier, like the shotgun would start as a 1 barrel 1 shot shotgun, but so would the enemies) with 2 power modules, it would turn into a Colt with 6 bullets. HOWEVER. If you would upgrade with one power module and ONE commando module, it would turn into a Tactical pistol, with 10 bullets, not as strong as the Colt, but still stronger.

This would create upgrade branches (I would release one upon release). It would take the boringess of finding the all the upgrades in RL (I find it boring that you MUST find them individually), and each and all guns would get a 3 visual modifications (perhaps 4) upon max upgrades, Making it a total 6 level upgrades for each gun. For instance, if you upgraded your starting pistol with ONLY power modules, in the end you would get a "Fragmentation explosive Pistol" (Random example). REALLY strong, Low cartridge, Firerate and clip size. The possibilities are very high, and it would make upgrading each and every gun fun.

Well, That was long. To conclude, if anyone wanna collab i would be happy to help in any way, I would love to make this compatible with Colorfull hell for instance, it would be excellent with megawads, Or heck, make this own mod Monster standalone, with monsters perhaps getting stronger as you play. There is SO much potential.

Please, someone make this happen, give me critics or thoughts.
CBM
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by CBM »

maybe a mega wad that uses mad max, fallout, hunter and dune 2 and more as inspiration?

first map: you start on a large map with islands and buildings and vehicles and missions like in hunter, you do various missions and when done, you are rushed to a safe bunker because a nuke goes off

second map: you emerge from the bunker to finde the world destroyed like in fallout, you must rebuild and defend like in dune 2

third map: the rebuild world becomes invaded by chaos space marines and must be purified before the inquisition decides to obliterate the planet, the emperor had already sent a force of imperial guards to the planet to search for psykers, the
few reamaing local militia gets enlisted to be part of the local imperial guard force and they must now face the chaos space marines and their demons or be obliterated with them by the inquisition

I might be able to do the 3D vehicles by throwing md2 or md3 models at the excellent vehicle combat system made by sergeant mark 4, but not the mission scripting and will likely also have problems doing the mapping
CBM

Post by CBM »

cybie69 wrote:here's an idea for a mod: 32 wads. and each level yo get 1 set of weapons(full arsenal by the end of the level) thats made specifically for that level. Once you hit the exit you're back to your pistol 50 bullets and your fist with a new set of weapons to find and use all over again. Amps up the unpredictability aspect of doom.
that would be totally doable, some z script at each level start could morph player into a player with the new weapon set and replace all pickups with a new set

I prefer 3d weapons though, I am currently working on creating a large collection of 3D weapons.. I am currently trying to get an ak 47 weapon model to work in doom using a boltgun mod as the base
XASSASSINX

Post by XASSASSINX »

Yeah, i would love seeing this in action. I dunno why, but i love Doom mods that you play in the long term, like upgrading your weapon, shops that find in levels, etc etc. Only problem? i don't know how to Zscript for crap. My decorate is fine, but my Zsscript? I have no idea how to do it.

Otherwise, yeah, you bet it i would make this turn true. I love the idea of starting with a very (Even worse than vanilla) pistol, and after alot of use, it would turn into, idk, a double barrel energy pistol.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

XASSASSINX wrote:Yeah, i would love seeing this in action. I dunno why, but i love Doom mods that you play in the long term, like upgrading your weapon, shops that find in levels, etc etc. Only problem? i don't know how to Zscript for crap. My decorate is fine, but my Zsscript? I have no idea how to do it.

Otherwise, yeah, you bet it i would make this turn true. I love the idea of starting with a very (Even worse than vanilla) pistol, and after alot of use, it would turn into, idk, a double barrel energy pistol.
If you know how to program, then zscript is very easy. Here's some resources:
CBM

Post by CBM »

XASSASSINX wrote:Yeah, i would love seeing this in action. I dunno why, but i love Doom mods that you play in the long term, like upgrading your weapon, shops that find in levels, etc etc. Only problem? i don't know how to Zscript for crap. My decorate is fine, but my Zsscript? I have no idea how to do it.

I am in the same boat, but since I found a boltgun mod that uses zscript in a way that negates the need for any animation on the 3D gun model, then I have decided to learn more about zscript.

I have so far managed to clone the script for a ak47 3d model I found at a free 3Dmodel site. Still issues but I am trying to learn :)

@tartlman- thanks for the links :)
Randomguy7
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Randomguy7 »

I know that gzdoom has no timescale command and some attemps at bullet time have been made. However, in the speedrunning scene has some cheaters that slow it down somehow. My idea is: find out how they do this, use an injector that follows from a .pk3 file. This will break any demos, and the injector will actually slow the game down... Somehow.
SkyPocket

Post by SkyPocket »

Well, since I finally feel confident in my ability to post, I have had some ideas for a ZDoom project. Some type of western/cowboy themed mod set in a old town, with the main weapons being revolvers and bows and the enemies being ghosts and cactus monsters. And a Peyote cactus could be the replacement for the Beserk pack.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Has anyone made a Ion Fury mod for GZDoom yet, porting the weapons and letting you play as Shelly? If not, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

lizardcommando wrote:Has anyone made a Ion Fury mod for GZDoom yet, porting the weapons and letting you play as Shelly? If not, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.
Considering it's really ethically sketchy to distribute the resources from that one (since people who worked on the game are members of these very forums), I would kind of hope that hasn't happened yet. (At least, not without permission.)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

This is gonna be the hard or finicky task, but maybe we can ask permission to use some of the game's resources? You know, before actually distributing them? If they say no, then it's a no-no. Simple as that.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

wildweasel wrote:
lizardcommando wrote:Has anyone made a Ion Fury mod for GZDoom yet, porting the weapons and letting you play as Shelly? If not, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.
Considering it's really ethically sketchy to distribute the resources from that one (since people who worked on the game are members of these very forums), I would kind of hope that hasn't happened yet. (At least, not without permission.)
I see. That makes sense when you put it that way. I also didn't know we had people here who worked on the game.

I remember when Doom 2016 came out, people started porting the weapons from that game in to GZDoom not long after its released. (Well, maybe a few months after the initial release, but still).
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

And just because it needs to be spelled out for some: no, the fact that some of the Iron Fury team did... that... does not grant a licence to basically pirate the game.

The best mods are the ones that just take ideas from other games and run with them with original lore and aesthetics anyway.

Return to “General”