ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Matt »

ImpieTwo wrote:
MrToots wrote:looking for some input
In a mod focusing solely on melee combat where the BFG is a Compound Bow, what should the altfire be
other than zoom or explosive arrows?
Quick-stab a smeghead with an arrow.
Either this or drop bow and insta-swap to dagger or single-handed sword.

Or... string and unstring bow, bow gets damaged if you drop or deselect it without unstringing
(the arrows from an undamaged bow within ideal range should be instant kill on most enemies if you do this)
taufan99

Post by taufan99 »

I would like to see Dangerous Dave... but reimagined as a 3D game!
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

A friend just showed me Doki Doki Literature Club.

I'm working on the next Hideous Destructor release.

IF ONLY I HAD THE TIME AND WRITING TALENT
and weren't so afraid of *&^*&Y*&Y*)&^E)*&EPIR&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Arctangent

Post by Arctangent »

Matt wrote:A friend just showed me Doki Doki Literature Club.

uh
aivar242

Post by aivar242 »

During moding I encountered some problems:

1) The port does not understand the translucency of textures.
2) I can not assign any settings to the submodel but only to the whole. It is not comfortable.
3) There are a little flags for the Modeldef file. This could unload the Decorate file.
4) Animation with skins and sprites implemented thunderously and not convenient. Usually this is a repetition of all the parameters of the model only with the already changed skin.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Arctangent wrote:
Matt wrote:A friend just showed me Doki Doki Literature Club.

uh
This confused me also. :shock:
DoomN00b

Post by DoomN00b »

taufan99 wrote:I would like to see Dangerous Dave... but reimagined as a 3D game!
Interesting idea - it could work, but I think I would enjoy it more if the developers tried to use the recently invented side-view in GZDoom, in essence turning it into a semi-side-scroller! : D

Now, one game that I think would work very well as an FPS is Halloween Harry! Or Bio Menace of course - Bio Menace could actually be a pretty good, semi-serious game, while Halloween Harry would do for a better RoTT-style absurd FPS. And both on the... eDUKE32-ENGINE!! ^^ Yeah... it would just be right, since they are, after all, 3DRealms-games.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Imagine all the portals needed for HH @_@

This reminds me that I would like to see a Duke Nukem reboot - the original Duke Nukem with the Tekbots - with Dr. Proton as this smooth irritating jock-dudebro (Dr. Broton?) as a subversion of the old disabled villain trope, then I stopped bothering to post this because it just felt like another "X in Doom postcount++", then someone linked this on Tumblr and I figured I might as well post it here anyway.

(also: Secret Agent / Crystal Caves in Doom???)

EDIT: the last gifset

(also can neither get out of my head nor do justice to it: The Hokey Dokey Rod & Gun Club)
Kreikon

Post by Kreikon »

This is more of a Joke mod really, but a fully fledged visual novel in Doom.

Just grab all those elements from generic and cliche VNs and put it inside Doom. The main character would obviously be Doomguy attending a highschool.... full of demons.

What stopped me from doing this is that I can't draw :?
Matt

Post by Matt »

If you can't exploit the full range of emotions that can be expressed through TROOA through TROOH, especially with all the possible angles, the problem lies with the writing ability not the drawing!
taufan99

Post by taufan99 »

DoomN00b wrote:Interesting idea - it could work, but I think I would enjoy it more if the developers tried to use the recently invented side-view in GZDoom, in essence turning it into a semi-side-scroller! : D
That works as well, but personally I'd like to see it 3D, like that Hocus Pocus DOOM mod.
DoomN00b wrote:Now, one game that I think would work very well as an FPS is Halloween Harry! Or Bio Menace of course - Bio Menace could actually be a pretty good, semi-serious game, while Halloween Harry would do for a better RoTT-style absurd FPS. And both on the... eDUKE32-ENGINE!! ^^ Yeah... it would just be right, since they are, after all, 3DRealms-games.
By that logic, Hocus Pocus DOOM should have been for eDuke32 as well. But still, nice idea!

TL;DR: We both want more 3D remakes of 1990's DOS platformers!
Matt

Post by Matt »

The moment I start listening to this I feel like it should be in a Doom map:
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

Kreikon wrote:What stopped me from doing this is that I can't draw :?
Most visual novel artists can't draw, either.

HyperUltra64

Post by HyperUltra64 »

So I'm fairly new to modding things myself, and I'm quite sure from what I've seen that this is probably possible.

Bees.

Has there been a mod out there that has bee based weapons in their arsenal? Because if not then this could be a fun adventure into very stupid weaponry.

Not just like replacing some projectile textures and sound effects which would be suffice to some extent, but like being able to fire a swarm from a BEE-fg9000 which would search out and destroy enemies as they shoot at it in an attempt to possibly escape this nightmare that has been bestowed upon them. The flight of the bumblebee playing louder as the swarm gets a kill each time. Maybe even to the point where enemies backpedal from the swarm, hastily shooting every few steps.

For someone like me who has little knowledge about scripting specifically in doom, this seems like a herculean task.

If bees have been used before, I'd love to know. If not, I'll try to learn how to fashion this into something tangible. I'm making a weapon set and I'd love to add the humble bee to replace the plasma based weaponry to make things more interesting.

A crude drawing I made a few days ago while thinking of this.
Matt

Post by Matt »

HyperUltra64 wrote:So I'm fairly new to modding things myself, and I'm quite sure from what I've seen that this is probably possible.

Bees.

Has there been a mod out there that has bee based weapons in their arsenal? Because if not then this could be a fun adventure into very stupid weaponry.

Not just like replacing some projectile textures and sound effects which would be suffice to some extent, but like being able to fire a swarm from a BEE-fg9000 which would search out and destroy enemies as they shoot at it in an attempt to possibly escape this nightmare that has been bestowed upon them. The flight of the bumblebee playing louder as the swarm gets a kill each time. Maybe even to the point where enemies backpedal from the swarm, hastily shooting every few steps.

For someone like me who has little knowledge about scripting specifically in doom, this seems like a herculean task.

If bees have been used before, I'd love to know. If not, I'll try to learn how to fashion this into something tangible. I'm making a weapon set and I'd love to add the humble bee to replace the plasma based weaponry to make things more interesting.

A crude drawing I made a few days ago while thinking of this.
Basically you'd be spawning lots of tiny friendly monsters that fly and have a melee attack. Should certainly bee feasible in principle, and I don't think it's bee n done before.

I think ZScript or ACS would be able to deal with getting the music gradually louder as you progress with your weapon but I haven't touched music scripting since an ooooolllld version of HD played the SimAnt black-queen-has-died music when your lives ran out so I really don't know for sure.

...I feel like this calls for a melee weapon which altfire rips out a piece of you for maximum DoT and painlock but kills you (or at least leaves you bleeding to death) in the process.

Return to “General”