ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
jdredalert

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by jdredalert »

I believe that a Duke 3D themed map pack would be the way to go. There's no reason to port the whole game into GZDoom. Even if the Atomic and Megaton Edition are out of catalog on Steam, there's always the Anniversary Edition.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

yeah, Duke still exists on steam, even if you're completely ignoring the actual game binary they ship you and just transplant the data into eduke32 or whatever.
Assassin of Purity

Post by Assassin of Purity »

wildweasel wrote:yeah, Duke still exists on steam, even if you're completely ignoring the actual game binary they ship you and just transplant the data into eduke32 or whatever.
I wasn't ignoring anything, i'm sorry. It just seemed like a fun idea to have Duke Nukem 3D maps in Doom.
a.dusty.taco

Post by a.dusty.taco »

Anyone noticed how there isn't really a proper necromancer mod? Most of them aren't polished or are just... Dumb. What if you could make a Necromancer like in Diablo 3? All the good stuff like corpse explosion, Summon army of the dead, Corpse lance, Etc. Oh, And a custom monsters thing that basically just improves death animations for monsters. Like killing a monster with corpse lance sticks a bunch of spears in it. Doom mods really lack a truly good Necromancer.
r&r

Post by r&r »

I would say if I was a modder
I would make a Shoto Doom or Way of the Hado (Hadoom)

Mostly "weapon" set wad
where you'll run around as/with Ryu's, Ken's or Akuma's powers and skills only

Everyone have their basics and stats.
but each one have a slight different other moves and specials from each other.

Ryu's different moves are.
He is able to shoot a Flame fireball Hadouken.
His Super is the Super Hurricane Kick that sucks enemies in while they get kicked around.

Ken Would be able to do the Flame Shouryuuken.
and the Superl would be Shouryuu Reppa.

Akuma would be able to throw a downward Fireball from the air
and do the Raging Demon.

Then There's The "Rainbow Guy" aka "The Rainbow Warrior."
Mostly he got all the moves of Ryu, Ken and Akuma,
but he functions like the Street Fighter's 2 Rainbow Edition Arcade of Ryu and Ken.
He moves abit faster, he jabs and kick rapidly fast. and every move he does shoots a Hadouken.
If he does the dragon punch, it shoots a trail of fire balls with it.
if he does the hurricane kick, it shoots fireballs all around him.
Even if he shoots an Hadouken. it's random, as it shoots homing fireballs,
to two fireballs doing a wave pattern.
-----
My Other Ideas is X-Men: The Arcade Game Doom Wad.

Picture this. able to select a character from the X-Men: The Arcade Game
with those basic mechanics, just a jump, a melee attack and a Super attack
but in first person in Doom.
Mostly like another "weapon" set.
But playing as a X-men
that function like the Arcade game,
but in first person.

And to Balance there will be power ups and drop items that acts like Arcade game too
like killing Doom enemies that are worth 5,000 points will give you a extra life,
and killing a 1,000 worth of points gives you a extra super attack.
r&r

Post by r&r »

a.dusty.taco wrote:Anyone noticed how there isn't really a proper necromancer mod? Most of them aren't polished or are just... Dumb. What if you could make a Necromancer like in Diablo 3? All the good stuff like corpse explosion, Summon army of the dead, Corpse lance, Etc. Oh, And a custom monsters thing that basically just improves death animations for monsters. Like killing a monster with corpse lance sticks a bunch of spears in it. Doom mods really lack a truly good Necromancer.
I think Wrath of Cronos is something your looking for,
as you can play as a necromancer.
it's a Hexen Mod that add in 2 new characters
and acts like a rpg that also works with other game wads too.
like Doom, Heretic and Strife.
The mod also have patches to make it work for those games.
Crackers0106
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Crackers0106 »

A simple sprite replacement wad compatible with Ketchup that changes the monsters to their designs in DOOM: Eternal.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Assassin of Purity wrote:
wildweasel wrote:yeah, Duke still exists on steam, even if you're completely ignoring the actual game binary they ship you and just transplant the data into eduke32 or whatever.
I wasn't ignoring anything, i'm sorry. It just seemed like a fun idea to have Duke Nukem 3D maps in Doom.

It actually would be. Despite some of the limitations I actually prefer Doom's physics over Build's. So even if the maps were missing some elements it'd still be cool.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Something like doom64 for doom 2, but with Duke maps would actually be interesting. Duke layouts but doom textures and enemies would be fun. Alternatively, a Doom2 the way 3D Realms did would be cool. A straight port would be kinda lame though.
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

wildweasel wrote:
Assassin of Purity wrote:A Duke Nukem 3D map pack for Doom to use the Duke 3D weapons on. It would be like a total conversion.
Or you could just play Duke Nukem 3D...? It's not like it's difficult to acquire a copy, or run said copy, on basically anything with a processor in it.
Like someone else has mentioned, Doom engine feels better than Build to play in 2018. I think converting existing single player maps is a bit of waste of time, but i just love the idea of playing 20 years of good quality Doom content in Duke universe. If you apply the weapons+monsters+textures mod to Doom, it stops being Doom. It's just another good FPP engine in a universe we all love.

I would love to play more and more Duke on mobile for example, but there aren't any (good?) ports left. Duke feels like it has been abandoned forever, but it is not in gamers hearts I think. Things like Oblige help tremendously with replayability.
Assassin of Purity

Post by Assassin of Purity »

PixelWAD wrote:
wildweasel wrote:
Assassin of Purity wrote:A Duke Nukem 3D map pack for Doom to use the Duke 3D weapons on. It would be like a total conversion.
Or you could just play Duke Nukem 3D...? It's not like it's difficult to acquire a copy, or run said copy, on basically anything with a processor in it.
Like someone else has mentioned, Doom engine feels better than Build to play in 2018. I think converting existing single player maps is a bit of waste of time, but i just love the idea of playing 20 years of good quality Doom content in Duke universe. If you apply the weapons+monsters+textures mod to Doom, it stops being Doom. It's just another good FPP engine in a universe we all love.

I would love to play more and more Duke on mobile for example, but there aren't any (good?) ports left. Duke feels like it has been abandoned forever, but it is not in gamers hearts I think. Things like Oblige help tremendously with replayability.
Yeah. A Duke Nukem 3D TC would be great for Delta Touch users! :D
Nash

Post by Nash »

I love Duke Nukem 3D's level design - amongst all of the 2.5d shooters, I feel like DN3D nailed modern/sub-urban/city the best. And they look and feel pretty realistic too - you can recognize what you are actually walking through and looking at in the level; a supermarket looks like a supermarket, a cafe looks like a cafe, etc. Gameplay just works in that realistic environment too.

Would definitely like to see DN3D's levels (or similary-built) in GZDoom as I also don't enjoy Build Engine's movement and physics.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

To be fair, part of Duke 3D's design is to maintain some of the vertical element of the 2D games it followed up. Does anyone really want to do platforming with Doom's physics? Didn't think so. :P
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

Nash wrote:I love Duke Nukem 3D's level design - amongst all of the 2.5d shooters, I feel like DN3D nailed modern/sub-urban/city the best. And they look and feel pretty realistic too - you can recognize what you are actually walking through and looking at in the level; a supermarket looks like a supermarket, a cafe looks like a cafe, etc. Gameplay just works in that realistic environment too.

Would definitely like to see DN3D's levels (or similary-built) in GZDoom as I also don't enjoy Build Engine's movement and physics.
What I loved about Duke Nukem 3D maps and engine is that it actually allowed to have moving 3D objects on maps unlike doom engine. Hell, they even had trains, TRAINS, with open-top! Means, you could actually go inside AND ride it!

Just look at this baby - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUF7r7s33PI&t=500s it can even spin itself, which is imho outstanding even for that time of engine.

I just dream when it finally become possible to have actual working trains in GZDoom maps, the ones that you can actually ride in different directions and locations, not just another blood's train map illusion clone. Please make this be real, Nash.
NeuralStunner wrote:To be fair, part of Duke 3D's design is to maintain some of the vertical element of the 2D games it followed up. Does anyone really want to do platforming with Doom's physics? Didn't think so. :P
lies! I do! Especially if platforming looks like THIS and doesn't just hold your hand to beat it.

Only plebs wouldn't want that.
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:plebs
No.

(Moving on...)

Return to “General”