ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Tohg7.
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Tohg7. »

An idea i have is a DWForums: Gaiden megawad that focuses around 3 infamous figures of the doom community, SGTMarkIV, Gamarra and ??? (i'd rather not spoil it, but it won't be terry) each with their own loadouts and on their way to being banned from the forums, being loved on the forums or something else entirely. a secret and super-secret series of levels will also be included, putting the player in the shoes of The DWForums dude and a Melee-focused character with fighting game mechanics that i won't spoil, even though the wad will have quite a few funny moments, one thing that will not be played for laughs is the "Deep web doom forums" stage section exclusive to the DWForums Dude's section of levels where the DWF dude will actually be a hero for once due to everyone in the level being worse than him.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Tho i'm still busy with Netronian Chaos addon more, i might make my concepts for my gameplay mods in the future right here:

- Major 3 Wreckers: It's gonna have 3 classes to choose. Each class has different game style and weapons, and could become a unstoppable entity if they pickup invul or fill up all the ammo in a short period of time.

Fisrt class is Kamen Rider-esq character with cybernetic arms that he could detach and attack. Kinda like ARMS, or Rocket Punch. Each weapon grants him to throw his arm in various and offensive way possible. But you still can do the long-ranged attack by pressing Weapon Reload key. His invul entity is Jojo Stand-esq character.

Second class is dark elf guy who mains only melee weapons. Melee weapons have the advantage while ranged ones are not. But you can level up your weapons and do some serious damage against the enemy. His invul entity is Cybertruck-esq vehicle, which he rides.

Third class is pretty normal and gonna be based on by some shmup franchise i still like: R-Type. He does some attacks like in the game, along with the force and you can upgrade them. But if you use too much, they downgrade slowly except the force. So you'll have to look up for ammo. His invul entities(yes, as in plural) are two machines that destroy everything.

- Alstroemeria: It's a name of actual flower that means: Devoted Friendship. Also it's the name of some black Rabbit accompanying with Pinkguy(doomguy in pink). It's gonna be like Yoshi's Island, hence the companion retrieving system and you're basically invincible as long as your bunny is fine or don't get hit by insta-death stuff. And it has some lil' twist: Thanks to The Ministry of UAC Biological Betterment, Pinkguy has gorger-demon attached to his left arm that eats up every demon on sight, and make them turn on their friends(except bosses duh). But as for medium enemies, you'll probably have to slobber them for a while.

- Katamari with Doom: Yeeeeeeah, it's basically Katamari Damacy on doom. It's the mod i really want to make but with a bit of limitation. I've seen someone made doom map based on the said game, from Joel's twitch stream, of Vinesauce. I still haven't made a lot of concept, but soon it'll be started, i guess.
Codename_Ps

Post by Codename_Ps »

something aleady seen in oof.wad in registered doom 1 the magic in the haaaaand like the bfg ball i dont think theres a mod liek that (without talking about oof.wad because horrible soundeffects)
Attachments
as seen in oof.wad played in registred doom 1
as seen in oof.wad played in registred doom 1
Screenshot_1476.png (162.17 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
AlgaDyan

Post by AlgaDyan »

Retro Roy

Post by Retro Roy »

Honestly, I'd love to see a complete ground-up remake/reboot of Zombies TC

I know about Extreme Epidemic Edition and Invasion of the Living Dead, but I was thinking of something entirely new with new sprites, different weapons, more character classes, and the like.

I did have a very loose outline that could be work as a design document for someone who actually knows coding and modding Doom II since I'm just a worthless idea guy.
sirudoom

Post by sirudoom »

this is from two months ago, i just thougt of something els. if doom was gta.

each of those train lines goes to a mountain with a city inside of it. so 12 mountain cities.
Craneo
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Craneo »

an underwater gameplay mod for Doom, where all monsters are underwater themed (Zombieman are divers, Imps are mermen, Cacos are sharks maybe, etc), with a "oxygen" system instead of armor (oxygen tanks replace armor maybe? armor bonuses could be regenerating bubbles with oxygen you can walk over anytime and recover oxygen with, medikits could also spawn oxygen stuff with them), the maps will automatically be given a blue tint, the skies will be underwater based, and stuff like that, weapons could range from a harpoon gun, to ancient devices from atlantis, also, "Satanic" textures being replaced with something more fitting, and lava/fire textures being replaced with something that fits too, and it should be map compatible hopefully (not a full TC that changes the levels, only gameplay)

as for why I can't make this, I do not have the coding skills to do so, nor can I use Blender to make 3D models yet (not with this computer atleast), so I can't make the models of new monsters and weapons (I could hand-draw them or frankensprite them but that isn't easy, as I don't know where to get the resources I could use for this and franken with)
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

You know, many years ago I've had this idea. It seems a bit silly but I'll just go ahead and write about it anyway since .. well this thread and all :)

A medieval game we'll just call Legacy of Rolic, draining inspiration from japanese RPGs in gameplay.

I've had two visions for the setting - one was a candy and sweet colorful fantasy set in the medieval times, anime characters and all, while the other totally opposite - a dark and grim fantasy akin to Hexen 2, where the player was a revenant, a freshly hanged criminal who was awakened by the toxic rains that fell in the kingdom, causing people to burn, orcs to become mad and ghouls to rise from the graves. Since the player is not human, but isn't quite dead yet, he benefits from dark energies that invaded the kingdom and is doing the rebel faction of the evil forces their bidding..

Anyway, the catch was that while exploring the maps you walk around and talk with people, your weapons hidden.
However, at scripted points, or at random in "hot areas", you go into combat mode - you are teleported to one of several random "areanas" outside the main map, which are smaller and more compact, like tiny deathmatch levels, where you do battle with the enemies.

The catch is while you can move freely, after every action (attack, use item, cast spell) your Action Points are drained and you are unable to attack until they recover (which takes time depending on your Dexterity skill or something). I wasn't sure if the player would be immobilised as well after using Action Points, but it's a good idea from the tactical point of view - so you have to carefully plan out your actions or you'll be left open to enemy attacks. This also goes for enemies, who would be "stunned" after attacking you so you can counter attack, but watch out that their comerades don't sneak up on you from behind.

This mechanic I've found in Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve 1, both by Squaresoft, for the PSX from before 2000 and it worked magically, the player was able to attack ever so often, so had to avoid enemy attacks and wisely use their actions as they were limited. It wasn't a standard turn-based rpg, it was like a combo of both.
I was curious how it would work in Doom. The implementation is really simple for start - just have the enemies go into a delayed "wait" state after every attack or action (like casting protective magic on them), while the player would have to wait as well after every attack. To modulate this delay factor would be more difficult, as the delay in tics would have to be calculated by either a global variable (action points) or depending on the amount of action points in the player's inventory. I think that with inventory items it'd be much easier to handle, but I'm pretty sure nowadays with ZScript this would be even simpler, only I have no idea about ZScript.

I made some very early tests in the past (which are lost now) and the mechanic didn't play bad really, but required a lot of tuning to get it right. In a nutshell, the weapons were really slow (a delay of 3-4 seconds after every attack) and the enemies were "stunned" after every attack. The player was also slower and I've extended the melee ranges of monsters so they were harder to dodge than the standard attack (which as we know is easilly dodged by taking a step backwards during the frame in the animation that calls for the melee attack).

I'm pretty sure if used with ranged weapons this could have even more potential, but as it is right now, this is just an idea, a concept that I've never evolved any further.

Oh, the player was always alone in concept, but with some clever writing the player could control one of several team members - have the team members be controlled by the CPU while the player is controlling his. They accept three orders - Follow, Stay, Attack. Simple stuff. If the player wishes to cycle through team members, just spawn a character in his position, calculating their health based on player's health, and have the player be teleported to the selected member's location, remove them from the map, and the player would inherit the properties of that character (health, weapon etc.).
I'm pretty sure this concept in action would be as full of glitches as emmentaler has holes ;)
NotDoom

Post by NotDoom »

That doom 3 classic mod that recreates doom shareware in doom 3. Every once in a while I have some idea popping up to recreate the doom 1 levels with modern technology. With modern technology doom can have windows with glass, water with real depth, bridges, etc. But every time I just think it's a waste of time. Doom 3 classic mod recreates all levels while keeping the original layout. Then I look at doom reboot and the reboot creates all new environments with all new atmosphere. That's what I'd do.

Project Brutality expanded the original levels with new rooms but then, why not create something completely new? I mean, restraining oneself to "keep the original doom feeling untouched" doesn't leave much room for creativity.

A random idea of mine: mix doom with other games from the same era (duke, heretic, etc) in a crossworlds universe. Give some excuse about universes colliding and portals to another dimensions to mix up different themes in one. I'm pretty sure someone else already had this type of idea before.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1286990/CONSCRIPT/

So, after watching a video of a channel i like (Ink Ribbon), i looked out for this game, conscript. It's basically Resident Evil in WW1. Given the low amount of WW1 ganes we have (glad that's changing now), and the fact i am down for any PSX-styled survival horror game, this is a meal full of ideas we can port to a mod.

You play a french soldier in 1916 during the Great War, trying to escape supernatural enemies in your trench. The game works better on it's resident evil setting, but has some curious stuff:

- There are bandages/fabric that can heal you. They heal a small portion of HP, but when combined with Desinfectant Alcohol, they work exactly as the Green/Red Herb partnership in Resident Evil (Heals HP to full).

- Aside from the Alcohol, which can't be used by itself, there is also a first aid kit, that heals your HP to full. I can't download the game, but i guess it has bleeding states too?

- WW1 guns! They are slow, unpraticable and ammo is scarce. I could identify a Mauser pistol (probably in 7.63mm), a Bolt Action Rifle (a french RSL, perhaps?), a raiding club, and a revolver which looks like a Nagant top break or a Reichsrevolver. WW1 guns need love.

- ideas that could enhance a doom-based mod for this: inventory system, inventory limits, bleeding, item mixing/crafting, ammo crafting, weapon durability (as things were damn dirty back then), a dessaturated palette, a handful of Hideous Destructor and survival horror player things (slow movement, slow health regen, etc etc), a set of custom monsters that can make slow combat viable...

In any case, i really wish this guy luck in his game, i would definitely buy it.
Artman2004

Post by Artman2004 »

My idea would be an Aliens mod with Hideous Destructor elements.

- The classic Aliens arsenal is here, along with some new additions like the SMG, plasma rifle, and RPG, among others.

- The Xenomorphs' acid blood can hurt you, but also damage your weapons and equipment, along with permanently decreasing your maximum health.

- Weapons with explosive-tipped rounds like the M41A and M56 can cause self-damage if you stand too close to a target.

- There would be variations to certain weapons, like a pulse rifle with an underbarrel shotgun instead of a grenade launcher.

- The flamethrower can either use gas or napalm. Gas does less damage, but is more common. Napalm does a lot of damage and can light the ground on fire, but is harder to find.

- You can accidentally destroy ammo with explosives or fire. Explosive ammo will explode if destroyed. Be careful where you point that flamethrower!

- Zombie enemies will be replaced with juvenile aliens. They will have smooth domes to distinguish them from the regular drones. They have weaker armor, allowing them to be defeated by less powerful weapons.

- Health & armor bonuses are replaced by boxes and crates. Some will require keys to open.
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

At some point I wanted to make a project that consisted of multiple maps connected together, called CHILL. There would be no monsters or weapons, just a large area to explore such as a forest, a mountain, a cavern, some fields, with interactive objects. Pretty much a walking sim in Doom, which by itself could be a sin.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Ribo Zurai wrote:At some point I wanted to make a project that consisted of multiple maps connected together, called CHILL. There would be no monsters or weapons, just a large area to explore such as a forest, a mountain, a cavern, some fields, with interactive objects. Pretty much a walking sim in Doom, which by itself could be a sin.
I am interested in your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Ribo Zurai wrote:At some point I wanted to make a project that consisted of multiple maps connected together, called CHILL. There would be no monsters or weapons, just a large area to explore such as a forest, a mountain, a cavern, some fields, with interactive objects. Pretty much a walking sim in Doom, which by itself could be a sin.
Plot twist: You were the demons, john

you killed everyone
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

Matt wrote:I am interested in your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
It's unlikely I'll continue with this. My experience with mapping is very tiny for something that big. And GZDoom Builder started lagging while copy and pasting the same tree sectors over two hundred times and I don't have the patience.

Return to “General”