ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Cherno

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Cherno »

I would like to create a test set of Masters of the Universe sprites. The idea is to use the old Mattel action figures (which I have a few of) as-is, photograph them in different poses and from different angles (just like some of the original Doom monsters) and put them in the game. It will probably look crappy, but who knows? :) Could be the start of a He-Man / MOTU TC if I find enough people willing to photograph their old toys :wink:
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Seems like the limited articulation would make for poor animation at that scale.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Been planning this one for a week or so, but nothing was created regarding the sprites or sounds, so i'll just leave the idea in here and whoever wants to work it up, you have the green light.

Army Men: Hell's Playground

The title should pay itself, but in case people don't know, Army Men is a game where you control green toy soldiers and fight yellow soldiers, usually in (giant, after all you are a toy) human sized maps, or in some games (like World War), maps that have a bit more of realism to it. The games are great, usually providing tons of fun and some good challenge. I am partially surprised no one (to my knowdlege) hasn't came with a mod about it for Doom.

So my premise would be to make small players, small enemies and, of course, give the player high jump abilities or "wings of wrath" styled powerups. If things would get too much complicated, i would just make them human sized and that's about it. The mod would also feature custom enemies (obviously, yellow soldiers), following a Wolf-esque pattern of hierarchy. The player would also be able to find and rescue friendly soldiers to help them. No custom maps, because i am a zero at mapping.

Weapons would fire tracers and not reload. No altfires as well, as this is not really so common in the series. Also, the main player would not have a melee weapon, but rather a infinite ammo starter weapon, in the same mood as Final Doomer.

here's what i would cook up for a (starting) weapon setlist:
Spoiler:
Of course, this should be implicit: All weapon and hand sprites should be green!!!

I don't know if i should add more details, but that's the bare bone of it. Again, it's a loose idea, go ahead if you feel like it. i surely don't have the time.
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

Disclaimer: I'm almost certain I've seen this done before, and if it has, I would LOVE to see how it was done.

An idea I had was for a bird's eye view camera, something akin to Diablo or the older Fallout games. Not much of a project, but the potential applications make me giddy.
m8f

Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

Devianteist wrote:Disclaimer: I'm almost certain I've seen this done before, and if it has, I would LOVE to see how it was done.

An idea I had was for a bird's eye view camera, something akin to Diablo or the older Fallout games. Not much of a project, but the potential applications make me giddy.
Doomiablo 0.2.0 - Diablo & DooM Crossover
Devianteist

Post by Devianteist »

m8f wrote:
Devianteist wrote:Disclaimer: I'm almost certain I've seen this done before, and if it has, I would LOVE to see how it was done.

Doomiablo 0.2.0 - Diablo & DooM Crossover
So I'm not crazy! Is this running on GZDoom? I haven't seen anything in the thread. Or am I better off asking the author?
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

Devianteist wrote: So I'm not crazy! Is this running on GZDoom? I haven't seen anything in the thread. Or am I better off asking the author?
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/9 ... crossover/
That's the mod from last year.

It's Diablo 2 mod with DooM 2 things, the DooM 2 maps were converted to Diablo 2 map format(but sadly cannot do opposite, or the author just can't/not good enough to do, I guess), so it's more like Diablo 2 with DooM skins. :P
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

i've always thought a magical girl/magical girl inspired doom weapon mod would be a cool idea.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

LossForWords wrote:i've always thought a magical girl/magical girl inspired doom weapon mod would be a cool idea.
there is Jurasic Rift that would suit your fetishes at that, I believe there is 3-4 girls in total in fact, of different shape and look, and each has unique magical attack (ultimate). Been agaes since I've seen anyone play that mod, though.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:
LossForWords wrote:i've always thought a magical girl/magical girl inspired doom weapon mod would be a cool idea.
there is Jurasic Rift that would suit your fetishes at that, I believe there is 3-4 girls in total in fact, of different shape and look, and each has unique magical attack (ultimate). Been agaes since I've seen anyone play that mod, though.
Just because he wants something to do with girls in Doom doesn't mean he has fetishes. :roll:
LossForWords

Post by LossForWords »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:
there is Jurasic Rift that would suit your fetishes at that, I believe there is 3-4 girls in total in fact, of different shape and look, and each has unique magical attack (ultimate). Been ages since I've seen anyone play that mod, though.
nah, i mean like a non-fetish weapon mod inspired by mahou shoujo anime like sailor moon, lyrical nanoha and cardcaptor sakura.
now that i think of it, a samsara-ish mod featuring magical girls from various decades isn't a bad idea.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

i've vaguely always wanted to do a nanoha inspired project but outside of banging out some basic test code for it i could never really come up with anything that interesting.
AlphaSoraKun
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by AlphaSoraKun »

I've always appreciated some of the popular Doom Fixes mods. But I could never get around to doing one. So, I had an idea called 'Optional DOOM.'

But here is the thing, I need to credit several authors before I get a greenlight.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

LossForWords wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:
there is Jurasic Rift that would suit your fetishes at that, I believe there is 3-4 girls in total in fact, of different shape and look, and each has unique magical attack (ultimate). Been ages since I've seen anyone play that mod, though.
nah, i mean like a non-fetish weapon mod inspired by mahou shoujo anime like sailor moon, lyrical nanoha and cardcaptor sakura.
now that i think of it, a samsara-ish mod featuring magical girls from various decades isn't a bad idea.
I don't exactly understand why it has to be particularly a mod with girls though, but alright. I mean, magical mods are by itself are extremely rare, especially the ones that are based of pure magic and lack of any other means of attack, if any at all.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote: I don't exactly understand why it has to be particularly a mod with girls though, but alright. I mean, magical mods are by itself are extremely rare, especially the ones that are based of pure magic and lack of any other means of attack, if any at all.
It's not just that the attacks are all magic based; the Magical Girl concept has a lot of specific conventions tied to it. Magical Girls are to Mages, as Power Rangers (or similar suited stuntmen) are to regular ordinary martial artists. It's all in the flavor.

Return to “General”