ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
skyrish10
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 7

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by skyrish10 »

The Third Birthday, but a gameplay mod for ZDoom. Will Aya Brea can overdive the demons of Hellspawn while Doomguy is not there. This idea probably needs some work into the Zscript stuff
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

Lagi wrote:anyone have an idea for believable, medieval power up item that temporary increase speed?

I was thinking about boots, but it doesn't make sens that you wear down shoes after few seconds. Also carrying few pairs in inventory seems silly.
Other attempt was some drugs - roots or plants that berserkers narcotize self - but in game flowers or roots doesnt look like pickup, but rather like decoration element (or maybe I draws poorly).
Maybe just a flower but it flashes.
ultrahacker

Re:

Post by ultrahacker »

Nash wrote:I wanted to create a free-roaming sandbox-style first person RPG similar to Daggerfall, but without the randomness of DF. It would have a storyline, fleshed out NPCs.

Inspired by playing Nethack-like games, the Elder Scrolls series and LilWhiteMouse's HQuest games.

The furthest I got completed was the new Diablo-like status bar (if you remember Cheap's old WIP thread, I posted it in there) and some zdoom.exe modifications that simply aren't possible without source changes. I also coded a working level up system, and in-game mouse inventory (using Isle's mouse code) using ACS.

I stopped working on it because a lot of features I want require DoomScript, but also are not worth implementing into the EXE (too much work)
That would actually be a cool mod, but seems like a lot of work!
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

Tartlman wrote:
Lagi wrote:anyone have an idea for believable, medieval power up item that temporary increase speed?

I was thinking about boots, but it doesn't make sens that you wear down shoes after few seconds. Also carrying few pairs in inventory seems silly.
Other attempt was some drugs - roots or plants that berserkers narcotize self - but in game flowers or roots doesnt look like pickup, but rather like decoration element (or maybe I draws poorly).
Maybe just a flower but it flashes.
Thanks for reply. I'm looking for other approaches to the speed. I was thinking about flying carpet, or maybe a mount like a big dog, tiger, pony or maybe something else ...
42_the_Gamer
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by 42_the_Gamer »

Meh, I've been thinking on a mod inspired by Kriegsland that is basically a fictionalized WW3. What are the enemies, you may ask? I would tell you, but i'm afraid to tell you because I fear some people may be offended by it.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Thanks for the reference.

About the enemies... well...

I don't really care about their country (inb4 somebody comes with "Brazil never suffered that", for many years, action movies based on jungles or everything jungle related was stereotyped as being either from Brazil/Colombia/Venezuela and so on). But i know the feeling of stepping on eggs.

I believe you are about to mention either Russians or Terrorists from the Middle East.

That's why i did it with nazis. Everybody hates them.
Bodhisattva
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Bodhisattva »

Kinda curious. Has anyone tried making a mod that adds special events to random maps (like DRPG does) and is compatible with other gameplay mods?
42_the_Gamer

Post by 42_the_Gamer »

Dr_Cosmobyte wrote:Thanks for the reference.

About the enemies... well...

I don't really care about their country (inb4 somebody comes with "Brazil never suffered that", for many years, action movies based on jungles or everything jungle related was stereotyped as being either from Brazil/Colombia/Venezuela and so on). But i know the feeling of stepping on eggs.

I believe you are about to mention either Russians or Terrorists from the Middle East.

That's why i did it with nazis. Everybody hates them.
Well, that's the thing. The enemies are furries that are attempting to take over the world. I was afraid to post this because I thought I might get banned.

Post by Guest »

RTS DOOM

Hey guys!

I think it would be cool, if there was some RTS framework available. We've seen top-view rpg, sidescroller, and many different types of games with GZDoom, but there wasn't really an RTS. I think other members of the community would gladly use such framework. I already made some progress, but there are some problems that are ahead of my skills
I solved the controls from top view and cursor with this thing: viewtopic.php?f=105&t=64566

The problems I encountered are:
-How to hate more than one TID? Hatetargets on every actor may be a hacky solution
-How to send this projectile faster/replace it with a hitscan? (Uses tracer pointer to change tag via activator, etc.
-How to make every unit have a seperate patrol point. They all should have different tags, right? Then the first problem again, how to hate more than one tags at once.
-Would be cool to add bounding box, that spawns many of the projectiles with the tracer pointers to select/deselect units, but I am unsure how to actually do this.

I'm not really good at ZScript, I could barely even modify that library I mentioned above, half of the game behaviour (selecting, hating) is in the ACS of the map.

Since GZDoom also lets use to specify an attack range/sight range for monsters (I am not sure what is the exact name of it in decorate/zscript but I remember there is such thing and I used it) there could be a good RTS I think. Also I plan modifying the RTS monsters so that they stop moving after they reached the destination we gave them with the cursor, though I am not exactly sure.

preview:
https://youtu.be/_XjD_7thFnY

example download:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oO3Oy ... rJO3GL6vDI
42_the_Gamer

Post by 42_the_Gamer »

Should I make a mod that has furries as the antagonists? I have been kicking around this idea for quite some time now, but I just want to get everyone's opinion on it before I start development on the project. I have been holding off on the idea for a fear that I might offend some people.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Generally, if you have to ask whether it might offend someone, you shouldn't do it.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Making offensive doom wads like Grezzo 2, Regular Day(although it's discontinued) and Moonman, is actually possible. But you probably have to take a lot of social and moral beatings to prove your achievement.

To stay out of trouble, just don't overdo it. Or better yet, don't upload it unless it's less controversial, less blatant, but purely based on the reality. Daytime Drama is a good example of staying as normally satirical as possible.
Last edited by Captain J on Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

The Islamic State did a great job of being another universally reviled group, if all you're looking for is some cardboard humanoids to justify murder-simulating with impunity.

Better to try to think through what message you actually want to send, and why, and build your mod/TC/game around that.

Under no circumstances should anyone attempt anything "satirical" without actually having a political position they have examined critically in light of relevant facts.

(and of course zombies and literal demons from hell are fine too)
42_the_Gamer

Post by 42_the_Gamer »

So, that's a yes if I make the enemies furries possessed by demons? Or demons that have taken on the forms of furries?
TDRR
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by TDRR »

42_the_Gamer wrote:So, that's a yes if I make the enemies furries possessed by demons? Or demons that have taken on the forms of furries?
Y'know man, i'd let it pass if it had a message like "don't let yourself be controlled by your fetishes" or whatever message you wanna get through that isn't simply "lol kill furryz"

Return to “General”