ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
doomcooker

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by doomcooker »

Well, here is a recent idea that I have when playing LZDoom, basically a new Zdoom-based port, listing this:
-Some features implemented from LZDoom.
-A new Iwad customer tool, so you can set your personal mods as if they were iwads.
-And, the most important thing, is the idea of a Splitscreen system, a very stable system, possibly based on Doom Legacy's Splitscreen, but supporting Decorate, Zscript, ACS, etc...

And that's it, just a great idea, but I need help to make this real, some programmers and playtesters, i only have the ideas, not the talent.
If you want to help just tell me what you think about this.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

See this thread in the rules forum.

Randomguy7 wrote:I know that gzdoom has no timescale command and some attemps at bullet time have been made. However, in the speedrunning scene has some cheaters that slow it down somehow. My idea is: find out how they do this, use an injector that follows from a .pk3 file. This will break any demos, and the injector will actually slow the game down... Somehow.
usually when a demo's recorded, it's got all the precision of the slower frame time so it'd be easy to disqualify/shame host time changing frauds (in quake anyway). GZdoom's already doing the demo breaking thing anyway ;)
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

CBM wrote: I am in the same boat, but since I found a boltgun mod that uses zscript in a way that negates the need for any animation on the 3D gun model, then I have decided to learn more about zscript.

I have so far managed to clone the script for a ak47 3d model I found at a free 3Dmodel site. Still issues but I am trying to learn :)

@tartlman- thanks for the links :)
If you about my mod, it pretty raw, in terms of code state.

IIRC when I make it gzdoom could get model which support bone animations, so I think I could export more models in there and create more or less adequate warhammer mod.
But it, model type, was scrapped and I dont feel like I want convert bone animation to vertex frame by frame.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

So i'm making a belt-fed machine gun for Hideous Destructor. I've got the groundwork for it laid out already. The idea is:

The belts can be manually reloaded if you have both a link and a round, up to the size of 200.
The gun, when fired, should eject a casing and a link.
The gun will come with a reloading bot. It has 4 modes:
1. Create rounds. This is just the same thing as HD's 7.76 reloading machine, but with different brass and different powder amounts.
2. Convert casings. Convert 7.76 casings to the other casing, and back.
3. Rapid belt load. Loads a belt with your available rounds and links, extremely fast.
4. Consolidate. Selects your two shortest belts, and then combines them. While I would like to incorporate this function in to the magazine manager HD already has, I don't think it's possible.
r&r

Post by r&r »

if there's ever another Christmas doom mod
I would say KISS: Psycho Circus style of Kiss saves Christmas.

or something like a total conversion of the South Park 1998 game
but better, like an redux/remix edition that also use 2D sprites in the style from the show.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I know there have been mods that make any maps pitch black, but have there been any mods that can make any map always snowing or raining? If not, that would be cool.
Neophyte_Ronin

Post by Neophyte_Ronin »

You'd have to specify open air for snow and rain to emerge (and also from the ceiling), which might look odd but serviceable. Raising the ceiling above a reasonable threshold and then adding the feature would be a staple of future maps, but not past ones.

I got two quality of life mod ideas:

#1: "Breadcrumb Trail" - This automap adjustment lets players, while moving via key input, drop invisible objects that the standard auto-map registers as little dots without the IDDT cheat. Good for eliminating where the player actually has tread upon since big, sprawling maps will register line definitions from miles away even though you never went there. Useful for speed-running and frantic co-op situations in unknown/forgotten maps and for preventing that sensation that you've gone senile.

#2: Shining Beacon Keys (or, Lighthouse Keys) - Minecraft mods and Borderlands shoot pillars of light from important objects. Let Doom do this for the keys, even if you can track them on the automap.
m8f

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro Linux

Post by m8f »

#1. Sorry for self-plug, but have you tried Hellscape Navigator? It has breadcrumb trails.
AlgaDyan

Post by AlgaDyan »

DOOM ARCADE
Well, i got this idea while i was playing DOOM and thinking in imrpovements i would like have in game, improvements adding some DOOM 4/eternal mechanics and some new making it replayable and "arcade" without lost his classic DOOM essence too much, like a better classic DOOM, making it more "funnier" and more mecanics in the gameplay than just shoot and run
-Glory kills, final executions giving health and armor bonus, balancing the difficulty adding more enemies health
-Weapons modifications like DOOM 4
-Grenades slot. Grenades types drom DOOM 4, grenades regenerate over time
-New DOOM 4/Eternal weapons, unmaker
-Multiplayer compatibility, dead players can be reanimated after being dejected
-Quick melee attack, it activates the glory kills(for mobile players, it is activited with the "use" button)
-Power up slot, once used it regenerate killing enemies
-The spheres are replaced by a demoniac figure that's a kind of store where you can choose a power up for your slot, it contains three random power ups for choose
-New DOOM 4 power ups ; haste,quad damage, reggeneration, berserk, infinite ammo, etc
-Enemies gives you exp when dies, also can drop randomly grenades and demon ruines
-Demon ruines, an item that converts you into a the demon
-Keycards come with a dron that allows you to choose a random weapon modification, you just can choose the weapon you would like to upgrade and it drops a random modification for that weapon for free. You can buy with exp upgrades for you arsenal or mods,also random new item like the power up demon figure or the argent cell
-Exp reward for missions completed like all items obtained, all enemies killed, all secrets founded
-Completionist rewards gives you ammo, heath and armor
-Bfg limited ammunition, it doesn't use cells, it uses an own separate ammunition that has a limit
-Chainsaw gives you ammo, but it use an different limited ammo, like the BFG
-Level up, when you level incrases it allows you to choose 1 of 3 random improvements and habilities; resistance to harmful floor, glory kills can be activated from more distance, dash, barrels resistance, full automap at start, longer power up durability, bouncing bullets, faster weapon change, armor reggeneration, faster weapon candence, shooting don't alert enemies, etc.
-Captured marines, like brutal doom
-Backpacks are replaced by argent cells from DOOM 4, it allows you to choose which storage capacity you want to increase, Health, Armor or Ammunition
-Key cards randomlly comes with "Gore nest" like D4T
-Berserk Medikit is replaced by "The Sacrificer". It allows you interchange stuffs in your inventory,exaple: 50 Shells-->5 Rockets,50 Armor-->30 health, etc

Health
Health is upgraded in units of 25 hit points from a base of 100, up to a maximum of 200

Armor
Armor is upgraded in units of 25 from a base of 50, up to a maximum of 150

Ammunition
In the same vein as health and armor, each Cell increases the ammo-carrying capacity

Ammo Capacity Upgrade
Weapon Base capacity Increment per cell Max capacity
Chainsaw 3 +1 7
Shel 20 +10 60
Cell 150 +50 350
Bull 90 +30 210
Rckt 15 +5 35
BFG 1 +0.5 4

-General balance, make weapons like in DOOM 4, monsters, etc
Most recently concept art on paintasorryasdasd
doom arcade concept art.png
Older concepts
https://i.imgur.com/0hSqDT0.png
https://i.imgur.com/McBLmGv.png
https://i.imgur.com/nbBBpwg.png
Last edited by AlgaDyan on Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neophyte_Ronin

Post by Neophyte_Ronin »

I'll look into that. Thank you.
Hgluzowski

Post by Hgluzowski »

Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe on Doom Engine (yes, even keeping gimmicks the game had).
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Subverting the gamer-brain progressivist narrative:

A game where you start with a single boring weapon and acquire a broader variety of weapons as you go

But

All the later weapons are increasingly shitty, finicky or highly reliant on specific circumstances to be effective, all weapons eventually wear out and are permanently destroyed, and it is impossible to find a replacement for your starter which happens to be more powerful than anything else by far.

Related: a game where you start with all the hitpoints you could ever have for the playthrough. Your maneuverability and maximum potential damage output are inversely related to your hitpoints.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

Matt wrote:Subverting the gamer-brain progressivist narrative:

A game where you start with a single boring weapon and acquire a broader variety of weapons as you go

But

All the later weapons are increasingly shitty, finicky or highly reliant on specific circumstances to be effective, all weapons eventually wear out and are permanently destroyed, and it is impossible to find a replacement for your starter which happens to be more powerful than anything else by far.

Related: a game where you start with all the hitpoints you could ever have for the playthrough. Your maneuverability and maximum potential damage output are inversely related to your hitpoints.
I thinks thats idea is refreshing!

instead of getting more powerful (statistically wise) player is getting weaker (weaker weapon, hp, speed ...). And as the game progress, the P'layer (human in front of PC) have to compensate with his own skills and knowledge of the game to survive.

Its level 4, you lost 20% of your max hp, move slower by 0.25, and here come even more demons than before... it give me a shiver down the spine.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

A big gzdoom map that's based around a giant ship. It would be built on having areas that clearly have something that contributes to the function of the ship, such as residential areas, a reactor area, hydroponics sector, etc. Map progression would be nonlinear, with multiple paths, but you'd receive greater rewards later in the map depending on how many paths you took the time to clear out. Think diabolus ex - if you take the time to clear out one of the paths, you get a yellow skull which lets you obtain a plasma rifle. But if you took the other more challenging path you can get a BFG9000.

Sadly i'm no mapper and this would never come to fruition, but whatever, someone else could take this idea.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

anyone have an idea for believable, medieval power up item that temporary increase speed?

I was thinking about boots, but it doesn't make sens that you wear down shoes after few seconds. Also carrying few pairs in inventory seems silly.
Other attempt was some drugs - roots or plants that berserkers narcotize self - but in game flowers or roots doesnt look like pickup, but rather like decoration element (or maybe I draws poorly).

Return to “General”