ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Darkstorm Zero

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Darkstorm Zero »

I wasn't sure where else this kind of question would go but...

Does anyone else think it is possible to create a new boss monster out of the sprites used for the red Dragon and Synn from the Capcom Dungeons and Dragons games?

I have some samples of the sprites, but I am no modder or coder and I have literally no idea how to implement these. I'm more of a story and fluff writer than a coder :P

Image Image
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

A utility .wad with a helpful map in it and maybe some small helpful gizmo that would be compatible with some weapon and monster mods right here.

It'll be a map where you can warp into anytime ala DoomRPG's outpost map via an item from your inventory, which has some things which can function as helpful utilities such as a storage where you can store items and weapons in your inventory if you think you are getting sick of wading through your weapons or inventory just to find the right thing. Also the map also houses a computer database in a computer room (durr) which'll display helpful information and delicious flavor texts about monsters you've already faced against and weapons that you've gotten ahold of. But unlike DRPG you can't warp on maps that you've already beaten, only on the current one.

The bestiary database tells what things monsters are weak or strong against (if they have any) or what effective tactics to use dispatch them quickly. If they have some item drops, it'll tell them what they are too along with their drop rate. In the case of weapons, the database will inform you on how to use them effectively or some other things like some precautions or what damage-type does the weapon deal. Probably some back-stories and self-made fun facts too.

Lastly, the computer room also comes with an analytical and serious-sounding music taken shamelessly from a Konami game that plays when you step inside it.

That gizmo I told earlier? That'll be your PDA where you can read the same information from the database, so you if you want to see the bestiary or weapons information from the get-go or currently can't get back thanks to the cooldown, you can always just bring out your PDA and read to your heart's content if you can. There could be some healing station too, but if there's really going to be one, in order to prevent abuse there's going to be some 5-minute cooldown before you are able to warp there again.
Spoiler: One of my takes for an entry of certain monsters
Sickened

Post by Sickened »

1. Firing sprites during weapon bobbing, as seen in SmoothDoom.
2. Vanilla Doom weapon sprite screen positioning? Left positioned, or right positioned, split into two downloads

Both could be standalone, excluding menu options, or would be conjoined as one pk3, with menu options (That wouldn't clash with other mods, much like Tilt++ doesn't, if possible). They would fit into the "Graphic/Sound Patches" board.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

Has anyone ever tried remaking the Game Boy Advance FPS games in ZDoom? I think Duke Nukem Advance, among others, would work well... But would need a lot of time and dedication.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Hmm...I got to thinking about beat-em-up mods for ZDoom and how Doom's maps tend to have a lot of monsters nowdays...maybe what Doom needs more than a traditional beat-em-up is a Warriors-like mod. A DooMusou, if you will.
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Last night, I pictured taking Blade of Agony, replacing BJ's face with Lawrence of Arabia's, and making a small mapset about that. I dunno if I could do it justice though...
wildweasel wrote:Hmm...I got to thinking about beat-em-up mods for ZDoom and how Doom's maps tend to have a lot of monsters nowdays...maybe what Doom needs more than a traditional beat-em-up is a Warriors-like mod. A DooMusou, if you will.
This is a good set of thoughts.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Don't Blink
Psychologically Disturbing trip through the eyes of a troubled young man with an active imagination and a tumultuous past.

[EYES] I see them in the dark, when I close my eyes, when the lights are out. I know they aren't real but that doesn't change the fact that they haunt my every waking moment with dreadful paranoia.

[HANDS] Creeping around the corner, waiting to grab me. Long sharp nails ready to claw deep into my flesh and rip me from the plane of existence.

[SMILES] Cheerful or menacing? Happy or hungry? Chattering chicklets of doom, awaiting the sweet taste of my soul, usually hangs out with eyes but not necessarily where you would think that they should be.

[DOORWAY] Slinking figures waiting to pounce or peer around the corner, never showing themselves, but I know they are waiting for me. Anticipation grows the longer I stare down the hallway...

[FACES] Void of emotion, eyes, and compassion. Red glowing embers where your optical nerves should reside... Teeth decayed beyond help, but the soft whisper of death that seeps from your non-existant throat is a soothing lullaby that I must resist, beckoning me to join you in the darkness forever.

[HOLE] Stay away from holes, you don't know what could be hiding in them.

[WINDOW] Staring out into the night, the wind carries a faint scent of decay, it is autumn. A cold damp wind brings you comfort but also anxiety. The icy hands of death tease a tantalizing massage but you refuse to accept.

[CLOSET] Peering into the dark closet, a random encounter every time. I see a different vision with each visit, never daring to approach, never daring to look away.

[LIGHT] The only solace from this curse, with light, there is no void for my mind to fill.

Set in a somewhat realistic looking home, most likely with use of Silent Hill textures, with a "Blink" mechanic that would either teleport you to an alternate area, or depending on where you are in the map, will change the camera to an alternate version of where you are with various apparitions where they once were not. Dark and Light will play a big part in the sanity of the player, with more stress causing more apparitions to appear until finally you go insane, sending you into a downward spiral.

Based on my own anxieties and issues, I thought it could possibly make a decent experience in a game.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Mr.Enchanter wrote:Don't Blink
I hear yah.
RockstarRaccoon

Enjay wrote:
You know, the angels COULD be programmed in decorate...
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Darkstorm Zero wrote:I wasn't sure where else this kind of question would go but...

Does anyone else think it is possible to create a new boss monster out of the sprites used for the red Dragon and Synn from the Capcom Dungeons and Dragons games?

I have some samples of the sprites, but I am no modder or coder and I have literally no idea how to implement these. I'm more of a story and fluff writer than a coder :P

Image Image
well it could be some sort of ceiling monster that flings fireballs. perhaps someone can finish them so there's something to add to the engine. the rest is more simple, decorate code makes monster's pretty easy to code.
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

So, I was thinking: A horror-themed PWAD where you are the last survivor of a moon base incident. Every level revolves around doing small tasks, like:

1st level you have to go to the Comm Room and ping for help from Earth. But on the normal way you find the corridor blocked by debris and needs to take an alternative route that requires walking outside the base, through the dark side of the moon. When you do get to the Comm Room and send the message, the screen slowly darkens and the level ends.

2nd level would need you going from the dorms to the Comm Room through the now-unblocked shorter route. Getting there you'd hear a cryptic message about one of the mining hatches being unlocked. The goal would be to go outside and look for the hatch that has been unlocked. Another astronaut would surface from the hatch and the level would end in a similar fashion (fade to black).

As the level would go on, it would be clear something is terribly wrong: A message from Earth warns you to not touch the mining hatches until help arrives, a report file would reveal there were no survivors on the base, the other astronaut would suddenly be seen where they shouldn't be, going into the mining hatches would reveal that something is ALIVE inside these Lunar Mines... Overall, the only things that could possibly kill the player would be the collapse of some structure or explosions, but everything else would be there to freak out the player.
RockstarRaccoon

That sound like a great idea! You should make it! You might look at the sections of Ocean 2024 that are like this...
tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:That sound like a great idea! You should make it! You might look at the sections of Ocean 2024 that are like this...
Man, I wish.... But I suck so bad at nearly everything that it isn't fun D:
Neuromante

Post by Neuromante »

tsukiyomaru0 wrote:So, I was thinking: A horror-themed PWAD where you are the last survivor of a moon base incident.
I think you're gonna like Routine when it's released.

tsukiyomaru0

Post by tsukiyomaru0 »

Routine is pretty close to what I had in mind.

On another idea: a Valkyria Chronicles TC for (G)ZDoom and Zandronum, down to the whole "Command Points" system where a unit can only move a certain number of steps per turn, etc. It could be cool to design a WHOLE map pack around it too.

Return to “General”