Hi, im new

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Anonymous

Hi, im new

Post by Anonymous »

Hi, Zdoom is the first port of Doom i have tried and OMFG! Doom is so fun, i could play forever with the endless amount of wads and never go bored!!! I want to make wads. any help on where to get started? i know some programming languages,
mainly perl and c++, a bit of vb6
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

Welcome. If you know C, you know ACS, the scripting laguage used in ZDoom editing, derived from Hexen's. For more of an overall view and tech info, look here. For more specific editing stuff, look here. Editors:
NiGHTMARE, in another thread, wrote:ZDoom compatible level editors:

- DeePSea (if you're willing to pay a registration fee)
- Doom Builder
- WadAuthor (see here for more info on how to get it to work with ZDoom, though it may be a bit outdated)
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Well, let's see... I'm fairly new, as well.

Okay, so, to edit ZDOOM, you first need a level editor (obviously). My personal favorite is Doom Builder (which you can get at http://www.xodemultimedia.com/builder.php). There are other editors though... like ZETH...

Anyway, that's all I can help you with so far. I'm not a programmer, so there isn't really much else I can help you with. But, there is the tutorial section and, of course, the editing section. Both are helpful, and will provide you with the ability to make never-ending Doom fun!

And if you want another good wad, I recommend TeamTNT's DAEDALUS. Although it's not a fast-paced shoot-em-up, it is enjoyable and gives you an awesome perspective as to what ZDOOM is really capable of.

Well, I hope I was helpful.
Last edited by Giest118 on Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Oh, and here's something cool about the ZDOOM forums:

People reply in about 5-30 minutes after you ask a question! So, you don't have to bother waiting 9276 hours to see a helpful reply...
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

ok thanks both of you, i got Doom builder but whenever i try to start a new map it says
WARNING: Could not find the IWAD file "". Check your configuration!
WARNING: Could not find required lump PLAYPAL
WARNING: Could not find required lumps TEXTURE1 or TEXTURE2
any suggestions on what to do?
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

I had this problem.

in the first menu, there is a box which is labeled something like: "Additional textures and flats from WAD file" In this box, type in the directory of the desired IWAD (or MASTER WAD) which you want to make levels for. The IWADs I know of are: DOOM.wad, DOOM2.wad, TNT.wad and PLUTONIA.wad. If you want to make DOOM1 levels, choose DOOM.wad. If you want to make DOOM2 levels, choose any of the other WADs (note, there are other IWAD files you can use, but they aren't for DOOM).

What the error is telling you is that the editor didn't find any textures for use, hence the error. BUT, the first line of the error doesn't really mean anything. It just seems to occur whenever you begin a map.

So, anyway, that should fix it. And I'm open to answering your questions about problems that the editor might have. :)
Infurnus

Post by Infurnus »

There should be a configuration menu where you can tell it where any iwads you have are, like Doom.wad, Doom1.wad or Doom2.wad ...
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Well... we all have our own unique way of fixing problems.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Hm. Yep, he's right. define the IWAD in the configuration menu and then all your problems are over.

Oh yes, and, if you want to put ZDOOM to it's full capability, then make the format of your levels "ZDOOM (DOOM in Hexen format)". This will allow you to make slopes, and other such blah-blah.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

ok thanks, but when i make a new wad file and use TnT as the iwad then i make 2 sectors and load it it justs loads the TnT wad? sorry for all these questions, im acting too rushed, ima read up
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Was the name of your map "map01" (without the quotes)? Or any other map## from 01 to 30? If not, then that's your problem. Also, it could be that you didn't load your PWAD properly.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

hmmm, iv been reading up on a few doom map guids, i never thought it would be this complicated, when i made those two sectors wow... boy was i off. where do you use programming in these map makers? and also how would you make the most simpiliest map, like a plain room with nothing in it? im still reading a tutorial now.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Well... you could have said that you were new to mapping in general... I don't know where coding comes in, but if you're having trouble with a room, then here is a basic layout:

1) The first room in a level MUST have two sectors (don't remember where I heard this, but I do it anyway)

2) to join the two sectors, simply mess around with the vertices in such a way that it would merge one of the lines from both sectors

3) put something in it (for the first room, usually a player start point)

To connect two rooms with a hallway:

1) create the second room

2) make another sector to represent the hallway and put it in between the two rooms

A tutorial would explain this more clearly, but after all, it was a basic layout.

And, yeah mapping is complicated, but once you get used to it, it's simplicity itself.
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

First off, you might find Wad Author a bit easier. For DB, press F5 (Tools->Config) and under the "Files" tab make the necessary adjustments for IWAD locations. You might want to consider Doom II editing, because AFAIK, not many people own Final Doom. Any level should be 2 or more sectors, although I can't see any point to make a 1 sector wad anyway.If you know nothing about, or have very little experience with Doom editing, go to http://handbook.newdoom.com/ or better yet, http://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/index.shtml.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

The programming comes in when you edit the scripts, which you can do separately in any text editor, or within the program's built-in editor. (If present) The syntax is very much like a simplified C. You then compile them with ACC and place the compiled code into your WAD as a BEHAVIOR lump (One per level that will have scripts). However, you really need to get a grasp around building levels before you tackle scripting, as the two go hand-in-hand.

For example, you could have a script that:

Prints a warning message to the player.
Plays an explosion sound and rumbles the screen a little bit.
Causes all the lights in the area to flicker and die.
Causes an extended rumble that does some damage.
Causes parts of the map to "collapse" through lowering the ceilings/floors, or moving polyobjs, etc.

All of this, with some sparks and debree, would make a very convincing explosion/meltdown/armageddon effect, but it's just one example of what scripting can do. As you can see, if you don't have a map to make any of these effects happen on, it's not much use to you. ;)

BTW, giest, you forgot the "Don't be bitter" rule.

Return to “General”