Saving forum pages

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Saving forun pages

Postby Sphagne » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:01 pm

Hey, I have saved lots and lots of the last forum`s thread pages on my hard disk for later refrence, but I can not save this forum`s threads now, will someone help me do it, please? :roll:
Sphagne
Just me, nothing more

Postby Mighty Duck X-treme » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:26 pm

The forum software probably won't let you do it, but Randy might hopeful reconsider... :)
Mighty Duck X-treme
Why am I always talking to myself?

Postby Ty Halderman » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:27 pm

Do we in fact have an archive of the notgod postings? There was a lot of good research material there.
Ty Halderman
I'm free! ...or at least inexpensive.
... in loving memory ...

Postby randi » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:38 pm

I have no problem saving the pages with either Internet Explorer (File->Save As...) or Phoenix (File->Save Page As...). The only problem with that method is that it saves everything on the page, when all you really need is the posts themselves. I might see about creating a plain text view of the entire thread with just the posts and their authors to facilitate personal archiving.
randi
Site Admin

Postby Sphagne » Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:42 pm

Whenever I tell XP::IE to save the page as... it will start saving it but in the end it reports the page can not be saves.

Norton Internet Secururity Problem? NISP
Sphagne
Just me, nothing more

Postby Enjay » Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:31 am

Sphagne wrote:Whenever I tell XP::IE to save the page as... it will start saving it but in the end it reports the page can not be saves.

Norton Internet Secururity Problem? NISP

Same here. Not a NIS issue though because it happens with and without it enabled.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

I'm a nerd.

Postby bimshwel » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:15 am

I've just successfully saved this one (as "html only," naturally) , but I'm special. What might work is viewing the page's source, and then saving *that.* If all else fails, select all relevant text and copy it into a bathtub.
Last edited by bimshwel on Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bimshwel
only as old as I feel, and I feel like dirt

Discord: bimshwel #7516

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:20 pm

Ty Halderman wrote:Do we in fact have an archive of the notgod postings? There was a lot of good research material there.

I will be putting hte old forums back on-line in a read-onlyfashion sometime soon.
Anonymous

Postby Hirogen2 » Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:32 am

randy wrote:I have no problem saving the pages with either Internet Explorer (File->Save As...) or Phoenix (File->Save Page As...). The only problem with that method is that it saves everything on the page, when all you really need is the posts themselves. I might see about creating a plain text view of the entire thread with just the posts and their authors to facilitate personal archiving.

The "wget" utility might be helpful in only getting the text or text+images (-p option). Linuxes should have it, a Win32 version is available at http://gnuwin32.sf.net/.
Hirogen2

Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby randi » Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:52 am

I've now added a "Print Topic" button to the topic views. It will give you a plain view of the current page, which you will hopefully have no problem saving. (I have no problem saving the regular view, so I don't know if it will help you or not.) Even if you can't save it, it should still be easy to copy and paste it, since it doesn't show you any extra stuff.
randi
Site Admin

Postby Xaser » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:28 am

Was that your reason to shut down the forums for a while? Just Curious.

[FUTURE-EDIT] Actually, the guy at the server farm tripped over the power cable. It happens from time to time.
Last edited by Xaser on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Ty Halderman » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:24 pm

notgod wrote:
Ty Halderman wrote:Do we in fact have an archive of the notgod postings? There was a lot of good research material there.

I will be putting hte old forums back on-line in a read-onlyfashion sometime soon.

Did this ever happen?
Ty Halderman
I'm free! ...or at least inexpensive.
... in loving memory ...

Postby Biff » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:43 pm

Ty Halderman wrote:
notgod wrote:

Did this ever happen?
Dear Notgod,
Will you keep this on your radar screen?
Thanks,
Heh

Edit: Pretty please with sugar on it?
Biff
Caleb is back for a visit

Postby Kappes Buur » Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:02 pm

Or, if at all possible, could the old forum be transferred to 3d-archives?

I realize, this would involve several people to give their aye or naye.
Kappes Buur

Return to General