[Feature Request] - Up-to-Date Documentation

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
mivlad

Post by mivlad »

Single celled stuff should have a small |-----| thing in a corner of its photo.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Why?

:twisted:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

So you know how big it is.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

I think a wiki thingy (heh) for docs would be great, though it'd prolly be better if you checked over the stuff before it was posted to make sure there were no inaccuracies or dupes etc
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

Well isn't that the point of a wiki, people correct each other and fix mistakes and in the end it comes out fine, or at least it seems to on wikipedia anyway.
Ty Halderman
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ty Halderman »

It's how it's supposed to work, and overall it's a good idea, but then again Randy or someone he appoints to mind the wiki :roll: will need to keep up with things like people spamming or nuking pages, etc. Most systems have version control to keep damage from that sort of thing to a minimum, but it's still "those people" who can cause problems.

Now, if he has a list of approved wiki-workers that he allows to actually make modifications, in theory because of proven dedication to the effort and community, that would make sense. Open to everyone for modification doesn't sound right. And then one or more folks should be dedicated to style and grammar, etc.

All that said, it sure would be nice to correct something when you see it instead of having to get the author of the page to change it and republish, etc.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Ty Halderman wrote:And then one or more folks should be dedicated to style and grammar, etc.
Ooh ooh! Pick me! Pick me! Finally a use for my anal adherence to rules of grammar and spelling!
SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

It makes more sense to me personally to allow anyone to make modifications, but maybe have a few people to moderate it (i.e. ban disruptive users), and then add a version control system. I think that would lead to more useful and cleaner content while at the same time keeping graffiti and garbage to a minimum.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

This is great... then we will always have up do date docs. Cyb, you get to share all of your endless knowledge with us :-). Yes, we will definately benifit from that :-).

I also promise that I won't spam the page in any way :-) (I do stick by promises, and I'm really a good person :-) ).

HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Lexus Alyus wrote:...and I'm really a good person
...for a single-celled organism, right? ;)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

About the wiki thingy: I'll Probably post up some type of insane jargon or some such. I really think it would be a good idea, though
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

grammer?

(muhahaha)

I agree with Ty's post (IAWTP)
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

I did some looking around at the available wikis tonight, and there are so many choices that I really don't know which one to use. Does anybody have any recommendations about which wikis they like, or should I just pick one at random?
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

I'd have a suggestion, if I knew what a wiki is... on another note... I've been working on updatiung the refrence... that seems to be the most usefull one... I've got all the new line specials and some new mapinfo stuff so far... so I can add that to the wiki (I just fished around in the Zdefs and Zspecials... then looked at the RH_log for some additions). So, I reckon I could finally be some good use ;-).

SargeBaldy

Post by SargeBaldy »

I don't know, the only one I've used is MediaWiki, but as that was designed with Wikipedia and its derivatives in mind I'm not sure how usable it would be. Something similar to that would be nice though, as it's very easy to use and familiar to quite a few people.

Return to “General”