Clear my name Or stigmatize me once and for all.

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Is rocket jumping a 'cheat'?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:45 pm

For Sure, Always.
17%
Nope, Never.
61%
Usually, But Not On Skill Level 5
11%
Usually, But Not Under The Conditions I'll Detail In My Post
11%

Total votes: 18

HotWax

Post by HotWax »

A marine's space suit wouldn't be very impressive if it couldn't withstand a small explosion or two . . .
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Bio Hazard wrote:"wait" works for me...
Holy donkey dung! They must have readded this, and god knows why because I read an interview with Carmack stating they weren't going to support macroes in Q3 because it was cheating, plain and simple.

I just tested and you can macro pretty easily using the vstr command. This, for example, worked as expected:

> /set test "+forward; wait 100; -forward;+back; wait 50; -back"
> /vstr test

The player moved forward, stopped, and backed up halfway. Interesting.

I did manage to get Q3 stuck and have to CTRL-ALT-DEL it by putting it in a recursive VSTR though. :) (Don't try it unless you want your desktop stuck in rainbow bright mode until the next time you run Q3...)
SirTimberWolf

Post by SirTimberWolf »

Code: Select all

cheats schmeats, play how you want to :D 

besides, if you're playing zdoom or zdaemon or skulltag online then the server can disable freelook from the dmflags so it's their own damn fault 

NOT CHEATING, IGNORANCE/NEGLECT ON THE PART OF THE SERVER
I couldnt agree more...
If you dont want it dont allow it. Quit bitching :)
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

If the level is designed for it as a clever trick then no. If not then yes. I wouldn't like to try it though. There are also a few levels that use Archie-Attack-Jumping. Eeek!
Nanami

Post by Nanami »

MartinHowe wrote:If the level is designed for it as a clever trick then no. If not then yes. I wouldn't like to try it though. There are also a few levels that use Archie-Attack-Jumping. Eeek!
That reminds me of the time when some friends and I were trying to speed coop Doom2, and on MAP16 I had the exceptionally good luck to have the Arch-Vile throw me up to the red key while I had invuln on, even before we had the blue key. I had just run outside and was waltzing around the corner when I was thrown up into the key.
Location: Denver, CO How do they get teflon to stick to the pan?

Post by Sticky »

Nanami wrote: I had the exceptionally good luck to have the Arch-Vile throw me up to the red key while I had invuln on
Nice! I'd completely forgotten about those.
Have a good Thanksgiving everyone, I'm outta here.
Ps. Nobody likes my demos, eh? s'all good, I can take it...teach me to try and show off.... BYE!
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

Heh, nobody has 1.22 ;)
Biff

Post by Biff »

Chilvence wrote:Heh, nobody has 1.22 ;)
It's right there on the downloads page, silly! :)
tyomitch

Post by tyomitch »

I think rj is ok, first because anyone skilled enough can do it, second because it takes your health - which is well reasonable cost for it. It of course isn't cheat, even the famous 'silent bfg trick' wasn't.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

What ius the famouse silent bfg trick? Why does everyone insist on using the BFG?! I hate It!!!!! It's the cheesyewst weapon EVER! It's okay for single player, but it can make things a bit easy, nice to get out of a tight spot... but in DM it's just so fucking annoying! You get stupid noobs that are crap racking up their frags with the BFG! So damn annoying...

Rant over :-D..

:twisted:
tyomitch

Post by tyomitch »

It's when you use a wall and fire bfg at the same time. Then the sound of firing bfg isn't heard by others.
The compatibility options menu of zdoom supports disabling it. It's really famous, e.g. it's described in the doom2 official faq and rj isn't.
Ty Halderman
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ty Halderman »

tyomitch wrote:It's really famous, e.g. it's described in the doom2 official faq and rj isn't.
There really wasn't a RJ for DOOM2 unless you count being blown away from a wall while invincible a RJ :roll: . You had to be able to aim down with the RL for that to work, which it didn't in DOOM2, whereas the silent BFG trick is just an exploit of original DOOM2.
Kuroshi

Post by Kuroshi »

Hardly could call RJ a cheat since it's required to reach Episode 3's secret level. Using MLook to RJ is a gray area really. Ultimately, cheating in DM (on the net at least) is defined by the admins and if they have a problem they should just disable MLook. LANS are more personal and thus what is allowed and isn't can be dealt with face to face. Plus, their is a penalty to the RJ of your health unless you're invulnerable (which some people also like to disable).

Aliases are a definant cheat if they emulate a difficult maneuver with the press of a button. One Doom example is the strafe50 run driver. Nothing wrong with strafe50 running, but using a driver to make it automatic isn't fair because it is a difficult maneuver to execute legitemately. Exploiting flaws in a level's design or finding cracks in the level is fair game to since it's the designer's job to prevent these. Just ask the people at Compet-N who exploit a number of cracks in the original levels to obtain those insane completion times.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Kuroshi wrote:Hardly could call RJ a cheat since it's required to reach Episode 3's secret level.
I've seen people say that loads of times, but it's just not true. It is perfectly possible to get into that secret without a rocket jump. It's a little tricky, but you can do it with a strafe run. I'd been doing it for years before I even realised that using the rocket blast was possible. So a rocket "jump" is one way of doing it, but it's not required. I just tried with doom.exe to make sure my memory wasn't playing tricks on me, and after a few attemps I got into the secret using a strafe run.

Heh, in old versions of Doom, it was even possible to activate the exit switch from outside the secret box. I think that was prevented somehow in newer versions.
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

Biff wrote:
Chilvence wrote:Heh, nobody has 1.22 ;)
It's right there on the downloads page, silly! :)
Nobody cool has 1.22 8-)

(j/k)

Return to “General”