Page 5 of 10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:05 pm
by solarsnowfall
Some interresting theories....

Think of health bonuses as being interchangeable with the coins in Mario Kart. In that screenshot I had picked up four of them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:10 pm
by HotWax
Ah so you are truly going oldschool.

And for those who don't know, the coins in Super Mario Kart increased your top speed based on how many you had. You could pick them up off the track, and you lost them when colliding with obstacles or going off course and being returned by Lakitu.

Also, Nintendo would have no grounds to sue or even order a cease and desist as there is no copyright infringement going on here. If he was using graphics or sound effects from a Mario Kart game, it'd be another matter.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:40 pm
by Cutmanmike
HotWax wrote:And for those who don't know, the coins in Super Mario Kart increased your top speed based on how many you had. You could pick them up off the track, and you lost them when colliding with obstacles or going off course and being returned by Lakitu.


I miss that feature so bad. Why can't they bring the coins back in the newer mario karts? That was a feature worth having (unlike stupid blue shells and other handicap items)

HotWax wrote:Also, Nintendo would have no grounds to sue or even order a cease and desist as there is no copyright infringement going on here. If he was using graphics or sound effects from a Mario Kart game, it'd be another matter.


Not that they'd try to anyway. If you were getting rich off it then maybe they'd start to care ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:01 pm
by HotWax
Cutmanmike wrote:Not that they'd try to anyway. If you were getting rich off it then maybe they'd start to care ;)


Though I haven't seen them bawk at too many modifications, they are one of the most strict companies when it comes to ROM distribution. Of course, given their immense investment in their older library of games, that really isn't surprising....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:38 pm
by solarsnowfall
HotWax wrote:Ah so you are truly going oldschool.

Trying to. You'll notice I'm not going with the original split screen track map style, because I couldn't get it to look right using camera textures at full screen. Also, because of the mechanism I'm using for moving the karts around, I don't know how well adjusting the speeds will work with getting health bonuses. Unless I can rewrite the entire throttle system (which I really really don't want to do) they will only work in the sense that if you have them, and get rammed by another kart, you lose some, but won't spin out. If you don't have them, you could spin out when getting rammed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:08 pm
by Cutmanmike
You do realise the guys over at skulltag are going to hump you for ST support after you've done this :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:30 pm
by solarsnowfall
Trying to dissuade me from finishing, are you? :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:53 am
by Cutmanmike
Just a little warning. I might happen to be one of those who begs for ST support if this turns out good :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:12 pm
by Tormentor667
Damn solar, that is so cool... and the imp kart as your avatar is so sweet :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:03 pm
by solarsnowfall
Tormentor667 wrote:and the imp kart as your avatar is so sweet :D
Except that it turns out I'm going to have to redo many of the frames because they don't rotate well. This is the sort of thing I wish I could get help on, as I utterly hate spriting, and it takes me a very long time to do. :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:27 pm
by Zippy
Put out a call and contract someone (or several people.) Since these sprites would be relativly small and simple, I could probably do a few.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:42 am
by Cutmanmike
solarsnowfall wrote:Except that it turns out I'm going to have to redo many of the frames because they don't rotate well.


Last time I remember the actual mario kart ones weren't too good either :P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:40 pm
by XutaWoo
...



Wow. All I've got to say.

And don't worry about rotations.

Also, if there's going to be items, I can sprite item boxes.

(And it gave me inspiration for a level for M:R.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:56 pm
by solarsnowfall
Zippy wrote:Put out a call and contract someone (or several people.) Since these sprites would be relativly small and simple, I could probably do a few.
That would be most awesome, and most appreciated. I'll wait and see if more people respond here, and if not, I'll look to organize something. Most of the sprites will be approximately 32x32, if I don't count the Marine sprites that I've done that leaves a total of 63 that either haven't been done or need some sort of modification.
Cutmanmike wrote:Last time I remember the actual mario kart ones weren't too good either :P
They may not be very complicated, but the rotation animations work very well.
XutaWoo wrote:And don't worry about rotations.
If I don't, then then when they are picked in the selection menu (displaying an animation of them rotating) it looks like shit. For example, my first attempt doing the Marine sprites had the head bobbling all over and sometimes made it look as though the actor was bouncing in a spin.
XutaWoo wrote:Also, if there's going to be items, I can sprite item boxes.
All the items are derived from Doom items so there's really no need for anything special here. Thanks anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:00 pm
by Cutmanmike
If you post a sprite sheet of what you have so far maybe we can sort you something out. However if you want it to be a surprise or whatever then you'll have to hire someone ;)