Doom Kart - Looking for Volunteers.

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Vader

Post by Vader »

solarsnowfall wrote:Just a general announcement to those helping out, I'll be going into surgery next week, and though I'm not saying I'd demand anything be complete by then, it'd sure be nice to have something new to look at while I'm laid up in stitches. I'd like to get updates from everybody by the 30th.
I'll make sure to have something to show by then... also good luck with your surgery!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

solarsnowfall wrote:I'd like to get updates from everybody by the 30th.
Got it.
solarsnowfall

Post by solarsnowfall »

Yay updates! Thanks again to Zippy and Vader for completing two more sprite sets. This leaves one incomplete sprite set and two to do from scratch. Now back to the couch for some recovery, I've got six bullet sized holes in my stomach, a bunch of stitches, and more pain than I like to think about. Thank the gods for the pain meds...
bagheadspidey

Re: Doom Kart - Looking for Volunteers.

Post by bagheadspidey »

Oh shit, are you serious? I was just about to release a playable alpha of "Demon Drift" ... :shock:

Oh well, I guess we can both have a kart racing game? :?
Nash

Post by Nash »

solarsnowfall hasn't been around for quite awhile, spidey, so I don't think there'll be any problems with you releasing your project.

(In other words, release it ;))
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Cutmanmike »

Yeah don't hold back just cause you have competition :mrgreen:
solarsnowfall

Post by solarsnowfall »

I still pop in from time to time. And by all means, if you've got a 'thrust an actor around the track' mod in the works, don't let this stop you. I'd be interrested to see how we may have solved certain problems differently. :)

I still play around with the scripts from time to time, when I've got time to spend. The majority of the resources developed for this are on my old computer, but still around. The scripts had always been a work in progress, and for the most part, I've got them all down... in my head. The two major reasons there hasn't been any real progress here are: 1) lack of time, and 2) the very limitted means by which the actors were propelled about the track. If there were something similar to a fixed point thrusting function in ACS that would solve everything. Ah, what the hell, maybe I'll go feature request that...
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Well, my chase cam is a 'lite' version of your wiki tutorial, and from the looks of your demo many of our ideas are similar. The thing is, I see from this thread that you have excellent spriters creating stuff for your mod already, and I'm sure my spriting work wouldn't measure up.

You seem to be sticking pretty close to the original mario kart gameplay, where I'm leaning toward more of a drift racing style (but with powerups and weapons, like in MK) with a twisted metal style ammo system... and possibly some elements from Pole Position 2.

But as far as graphics go, we both want, I assume, doom-styled maps tracks and doom characters in karts - and it would be lame if both games looked that similar =/ That's where I'm at a loss.

Or I could just use mario kart sprite rips. Ew. Advice?
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

Carts based off of the character? Solar's using normal MK carts, with no difference between the carts besides color.
solarsnowfall

Post by solarsnowfall »

Hey it's still a pain, I made a good chunk of them myself. Ripping and using them directly would probably be a bad idea though.

I've kind of been in the process of slowling rewriting everything as I seem to have a clearer picture of how everything should fit together now.
XutaWoo

Post by XutaWoo »

solarsnowfall wrote:Hey it's still a pain, I made a good chunk of them myself. Ripping and using them directly would probably be a bad idea though.

I've kind of been in the process of slowling rewriting everything as I seem to have a clearer picture of how everything should fit together now.
Awesome.

I'm guess a demo will come in TBA, huh?
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Eh, any music for this thing yet? I've been making music lately and recently learned how to save projects in Fruity Loops as midis and been looking at making music for Doom.
zwouth

Post by zwouth »

Any chance of getting a generic sprite sheet with the base cart and maybe a pixel mark for the head? It would save the trouble of ripping the sprites out of the Mario Kart ROM for a cart reference, and then forcing it into the 32x32 aspect.
solarsnowfall

Post by solarsnowfall »

In the past I've just given out the sprite sets I'd done and let others basically swap out the heads and recollor them accordingly. If you're wanting to help out, check the first page of this thread for the details, and send a PM my way if this is the case.

As for the music, I first need some sound effects sollutions before I can think about music.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

Oh I figured you'd have that already. Just use the chainsaw. It sounds like a go kart anyway.

Return to “General”