Page 3 of 4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:57 am
by HotWax
Xaser wrote:I do! WASD configuations rock! I can't seem to play a game without using those keys these days.

My control configuration is like this:

Mouse: Used for looking and turning; mouselook is on.
Mouse Button 1: Shoot
etc


... You have more keys bound to cheats than you do for just playing the game.

Is everyone on these boards (other than myself, of course) a dirty rotten cheater?!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:06 am
by Xaser
HotWax wrote:... You have more keys bound to cheats than you do for just playing the game.

Is everyone on these boards (other than myself, of course) a dirty rotten cheater?!


Oh come on, just because I have those cheats bound to my keyboard doesn't mean I always use them! In fact, the only cheat I actually use nowadays is the Map Cheat, simply because I got used to fullmap with objects. If only there is a way to still show the objects without fullmap...

more cheats than I knew existed.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:49 pm
by Sticky
Hehe, he's got a point though man, I've never seen so many cheat keys in my life!

WASD is ok but it's nice to have the extra row on the left when you use ESDF. My problem is: when I do that I have to move type over to 'y' and not 't' because I need that "reach" bound to something else, and I can't break the habit. As you can imagine, typing gets confusing and so on and so forth so I'm currently reverted to WASD again.... :cry: Damn habits are almost impossible to break. Too many years of wasd...(ever since doom2) Thank god I broke the trackball habit, the aiming was great, but the movement suffered. I'd be outdoomed easily these days. (ps no offense to any current trackers, I just couldn't get it to work.)

EDIT: Oh, this topic was about fps, I should probably at least have the word in the post. "FPS", my bad....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:12 pm
by Cyb
HotWax wrote:... You have more keys bound to cheats than you do for just playing the game.

Is everyone on these boards (other than myself, of course) a dirty rotten cheater?!


I have multiple keys bound to cheats because I edit and it makes it easier since when I go to glance at stuff I can just hit 'G' instead of ~ g o d <enter> ~ or hit 'F' instead of ~ f r e e z e <enter> ~ etc etc. Usually I don't cheat when I'm playing something for real (as long as I'm enjoying the map).

I also have space bound to mdk, which comes in handy quite a bit :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:59 pm
by Eevee
HotWax wrote:Is everyone on these boards (other than myself, of course) a dirty rotten cheater?!


Oi, at least I type the actual codes instead of binding keys to them. Probably not a good idea, since I use WASD too and all the cheat codes start with ID..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:06 pm
by timmie
Cyb wrote:
HotWax wrote:... You have more keys bound to cheats than you do for just playing the game.

Is everyone on these boards (other than myself, of course) a dirty rotten cheater?!


I have multiple keys bound to cheats because I edit and it makes it easier since when I go to glance at stuff I can just hit 'G' instead of ~ g o d <enter> ~ or hit 'F' instead of ~ f r e e z e <enter> ~ etc etc. Usually I don't cheat when I'm playing something for real (as long as I'm enjoying the map).

I also have space bound to mdk, which comes in handy quite a bit :P


Heh, I have 'R' bound to an alias that does this: 'god; give all; notarget; noclip'. 'E' is bound to my zoom alias, 'F' is bound to freeze and 'C' is bound to mdk... Definitely makes it easier to test things!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:25 pm
by Xaser
Cyb wrote:I also have space bound to mdk, which comes in handy quite a bit :P


timmie wrote:...and 'C' is bound to mdk...


What the heck is mdk???

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:13 pm
by timmie
try it, you'll like it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:48 pm
by Zell
lol MDK is awesome (lol its the clan im in on CS) =p
but that command is kickass! =p i built a little level
with 7 cyberdemons and..it was pure hell! then i started using MDK and all was fine :D why dont more games have that command =p

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:24 am
by Hirogen2
W-backward, because having the middle finger for the W one row higher than A-D is TEH ODD!
r=noclip,g=god,f/space=jump,c=crouch.
Gnite.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:45 am
by Enjay
IMO, WASD configs don't work if you are some kind of left handed mutant deviant.

If you are a lefty, then your mouse should be in the left hand, and your free right hand rests more comforatbly over the other side of the keyboard, so something on that side is much better. So, as some kind of left handed mutant deviant myself, I use the arrow keys which sit right where my free hand comfortably rests.

I can see how WASD would be good if you hold the mouse with your right hand though.

MDK is very useful as a cheat (and good fun) because it allows you to test a level where a certain action may depend on the death of a specific enemy. Just line him up and bammo, you're testing your script (or whatever) with just one "shot" and the rest of the level will still be playing as intended.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:32 am
by bimshwel
I'd hate a configuration like that, simply because I've always found it awkward having the down arrow between the right and left. I use the arrows with the numbers on them, additionally assigning the 9 for uplooking, the 3 for downlooking, and the 5 for center viewing. These always try and switch weapons in the dos version, but since you can't look around in that one, but then in dos Heretic you have to consider gosh, I'm a nerd typing all this. But then, I've never been able to play the game well with a mouse, either, so clearly, I have problems.

Re: more cheats than I knew existed.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:19 pm
by HotWax
Sticky wrote:Hehe, he's got a point though man, I've never seen so many cheat keys in my life!

WASD is ok but it's nice to have the extra row on the left when you use ESDF. My problem is: when I do that I have to move type over to 'y' and not 't' because I need that "reach" bound to something else, and I can't break the habit. As you can imagine, typing gets confusing and so on and so forth so I'm currently reverted to WASD again.... :cry: Damn habits are almost impossible to break. Too many years of wasd...(ever since doom2) Thank god I broke the trackball habit, the aiming was great, but the movement suffered. I'd be outdoomed easily these days. (ps no offense to any current trackers, I just couldn't get it to work.)

EDIT: Oh, this topic was about fps, I should probably at least have the word in the post. "FPS", my bad....


Only way you're going to get used to it is to do like your handle says and Stick with it... hehe... "stick with it"..... i so funny...

Incidentally, I move the default "chat" key from T (for most games) over to U and leave Y for team chat. I really can't justify that, it's just the way I decided to free up T for other functions and it stuck.

Re: more cheats than I knew existed.....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:44 am
by Sticky
HotWax wrote:Only way you're going to get used to it is to do like your handle says and Stick with it... hehe... "stick with it"..... i so funny...

I know I know.
I just hope the ammount of useful functions doesn't drastically jump (in games) in the next few years.
For doom I've got all the room I could possibly need without having to move over, but if I start to need that space on the left... Oh nelly, waaaaah! :cry:

Edit: Yay, I know how to quote (sort of) :-)

Re: more cheats than I knew existed.....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:34 am
by HotWax
Sticky wrote: I know I know.
I just hope the ammount of useful functions doesn't drastically jump (in games) in the next few years.
For doom I've got all the room I could possibly need without having to move over, but if I start to need that space on the left... Oh nelly, waaaaah! :cry:

Edit: Yay, I know how to quote (sort of) :-)


Heh, TrueCombat was the game that had me squeezing in more keys. That's why I had to move my talk key over to U, I needed the T for "Zoom in."

Q - Lean Left, W - Strafe Left, E - Walk Forward, R - Strafe Right, T - Zoom in
A - Sprint, S - Use/Open, D - Backpedal, F - "TAC" mode (Ironsights or Zoom), G - Zoom out
Z - Toggle crouch, X - Drop weapon, C - Holster weapon, V - Voice binds, B - Bandage
Shift - Walk, Alt - Drop flag/item, Tab - Showscores, Space - Jump, CTRL - Voice key (TeamSpeak)
(Caps lock is unbound because I don't like typing in all caps on accident :P)

Even my mouse was full...

Left button - Fire, Right button - Lean Right, Left side button - Reload, Right side button - Taunt (^_^), Wheelup - Previous weapon, Wheeldown - Next weapon

... Dang that game requires alot of keys.