Strife on zdoom 53: Not working properly

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Strife on zdoom 53: Not working properly

Postby Anonymous » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:24 am

I put the voices wad and strife1.wad into the zdoom directory and start zdoom with -iwad strife1.wad.

The game works, sound does too, but its only reduces to stick in the upper 50% of my monitor (50% are just black) and all the enemies are gone, instead I see red alarm signs with yellow !`s in there.
Voices of course do not work either.
Game version is 1.0, can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Helmi
Anonymous

Re: Strife on zdoom 53: Not working properly

Postby Enjay » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:40 am

Megatron1983 wrote:Game version is 1.0, can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Yes, you are playing a game which isn't even remotely close to being fully supported. Randy has only added any support for playing Strife as an IWAD recently. A great deal of the game has not been coded yet. The source code for Strife is not available, and is unlikely to ever be. So any Strife support has to be done by making a "best guess" as to how things should be done and by reverse engineering the original exe. In light of this, it is entirely possible that Strife support will never be complete.

As for your graphical glitches - the 50% screen thing - I dunno. It works fine for me in full screen and windowed mode.

The exclamation marks indicate something on the map that Zdoom doesn't know what to do with yet (ie it hasn't been coded). There is only one monster - the reaver - which has been added so far.

As for your game version - Strife was moved up to version 1.31 before development on it stopped. Patches are available to upgrade it. The most significant thing about upgrading is that it does away with the one savegame slot per game system.

If you only have the demo version, it was never advanced to ver 1.31. Also, I have not tried the demo version with Zdoom, and have no idea how it would perform.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Thanks!

Postby Anonymous » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:25 pm

Thanks for the information!
Too bad Rogue didnt release the Strife sourcecode...I wonder why since ID released the doom code as far as I know.

Too bad...its not only one of the most underrated games ever in my opinion, it also seems to be a "almost impossible to do" thing keeping it alive on modern machines.

BTW, is there Rogue Entertainment still alive?
I know Velocity is out of business...the Rogue website (rogue-ent.com) always leads me to some weird Topics page.
Maybe asking some programmers would help more or less..
Anonymous

Re: Thanks!

Postby Enjay » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:36 pm

Megatron1983 wrote:Too bad Rogue didnt release the Strife sourcecode...I wonder why..

The commonly accepted reason is that the source simply got lost. So it can't be released because no-one has it.

As for the status of the company - dunno.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

An idea:

Postby Anonymous » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:44 pm

The lead Programmer of Strife, James Monroe, does now work for Raven, his eMail addy can be found there too...maybe Randy can contact him and he might help him a little?

As for the source being lost...how can something like that happen?
Rogue made some N64 progz and Alice as well so its not like they died with Velocity.
The 1.31 Patch was released sometime 1997 I believe so at least until then they must have had it.
Anonymous

Return to General