Strife

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Strife

Postby JangoFett » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:30 pm

Yes once again I am looking for a FREE download of the Demo, or full version of Strife. I've heard it is really good so I am interested in trying it. And I have one question for those who have played Strife, if it doesn't support this it still doesn't matter, Can it play over a Serial Cable? And in Dos?
User avatar
JangoFett
The Bounty Hunter
 
Joined: 04 Oct 2003

Postby SargeBaldy » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:13 pm

right here. you'll have to run it by itself if you actually want to play it; zdoom doesn't have playable support yet.
User avatar
SargeBaldy
my password is grapefruit6
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: Oregon

Postby Zell » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:15 pm

i thought you could load it like a pwad ;)
User avatar
Zell
:O ALIVE[again]
 
Joined: 24 Jul 2003
Location: IN A GODDAMN BOX[In Erie.]

Postby Ultraviolet » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:03 pm

Yes, you *COULD* load it like a PWAD, but you can also load it like an IWAD, too, and it'll work. Drop it in your ZDoom directory and it will be selectable.
User avatar
Ultraviolet
AKA "Faint"
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: PROJECT DETAILS CLASSIFIED.

Postby BBG » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:10 pm

Ultraviolet wrote:Yes, you *COULD* load it like a PWAD, but you can also load it like an IWAD, too, and it'll work. Drop it in your ZDoom directory and it will be selectable.


I have named the wad both STRIFE.wad and STRIFE1.wad (the version I had was STRIFE1.wad), and neither show up...
User avatar
BBG
 
Joined: 16 Jul 2003

Postby Zell » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:17 pm

same here(i jsut DLed the demo, I have XP so it garbles dos :? )
User avatar
Zell
:O ALIVE[again]
 
Joined: 24 Jul 2003
Location: IN A GODDAMN BOX[In Erie.]

Postby HotWax » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:33 pm

Zell wrote:same here(i jsut DLed the demo, I have XP so it garbles dos :? )


You might be able to get by with compatibility options. On the other hand, you might not.
User avatar
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.
 
Joined: 18 Jul 2003
Location: Idaho Falls, ID

Postby Ultraviolet » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:40 pm

With it named as STRIFE1.WAD, mine is in the list as "Strife: Quest for the Sigil."

Perhaps your IWAD doesn't pass whatever checks to determine whether it is valid.
User avatar
Ultraviolet
AKA "Faint"
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: PROJECT DETAILS CLASSIFIED.

Postby HotWax » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:44 pm

What UV is trying to say is:

"My IWAD is better than your IWAD! NYAHH!!"
User avatar
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.
 
Joined: 18 Jul 2003
Location: Idaho Falls, ID

Postby Nanami » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:51 am

zdoom -iwad strife1.wad
User avatar
Nanami
Natdhipytadd
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: That little island pritch created.

Postby Enjay » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:45 am

The IWAD certainly shows up in my IWAD choice list (strife1.wad). I don't remember if the demo version IWAD was called strife1.wad or strife.wad. The full version is strife1.wad.

For info, the demo is based on an early version of the engine (1.1 I think) and has the annoying one save slot per game "feature". It features a mini episode based on part of the the central hub of the game, but with different goals.

The full version is much bigger (duh!) and can be patched to version 1.31 - the most important thing about the patch is getting multi save slots (earliest version with that is 1.30).

As for serial and DOS. You can get serial games - I think they were DM only. It is a DOS game and like most Doom games runs badly under XP. Like other Doom games, you can run it with VMWare to get some sound improvement. There is also a patching utility (the name of which I forget) which can improve things further (again for all Doom games) but it still won't sound good under XP. Just not as bad as it did.

As for buying a copy - difficult. It's been out of "print" for years. You may be able to track down a copy on e-bay or through one of those shops that specialise in old games but it is quite hard to find. I know a few places used to have it for DL, but I also think they didn't include the voices.wad file that comes with the game and is needed for, well, for the voices in the game conversations and so on.
User avatar
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain
 
 
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: Scotland

Postby Goukuma » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:49 pm

Buy! Buy! Buy!

Also try clearence outlets and used game dealers. I found a copy at Ollie's outlet.
User avatar
Goukuma
Messatsu Oni Kyouaku Resshuu!
 
Joined: 12 Sep 2003

Postby Lumpy » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:03 pm

Goukuma wrote
Also try clearence outlets and used game dealers. I found a copy at Ollie's outlet.


Thats where I bought mine. I also got Heretic, Hexen, Sin, Heretic II(which I don't like by the way). I also accuired the 3D Game Alchemy their. Each one costing 5 bucks tops. Final Doom I bought at Best-Buy for $10 + tax. I had to ask a sales cleck if they had it though. He went back to the stock room and got it. When I asked him why it wasn't on the shelves he said "because of the controversy around the game they are not permitted to display it on the sales floor." I obviously asked what controversy. Appearently Doom is the root of all evil and turns innocent young minds towards the way of the devil.

Quake I, II, II, Heretic II, Warcraft I, II, II, Diablo I, II, WitchHaven, Resident Evil are all alright to display and sell for an unbelievable amount of profit. But Doom they can't display. They can still sell it for a profit though, but lord forbid if it gets displayed. That was a little over 6 yrs. ago.

Now I don't know about the rest of you, but for me Diablo II is so damn demonic it makes Doom look like a day at church.
User avatar
Lumpy
My Solution is Someone Else's Problem!
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: Pa,USA

Postby X-DOOM » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:07 pm

for anyone who want a strife kind of effect in ZDoom.

here is a link http://zdoom.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1159

i've done this this week.
take a look.
User avatar
X-DOOM
Imp monger
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: Charlesbourg, Québec, Canada

Postby HotWax » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:50 am

Lumpy wrote:Thats where I bought mine. I also got Heretic, Hexen, Sin, Heretic II(which I don't like by the way). I also accuired the 3D Game Alchemy their. Each one costing 5 bucks tops. Final Doom I bought at Best-Buy for $10 + tax. I had to ask a sales cleck if they had it though. He went back to the stock room and got it. When I asked him why it wasn't on the shelves he said "because of the controversy around the game they are not permitted to display it on the sales floor." I obviously asked what controversy. Appearently Doom is the root of all evil and turns innocent young minds towards the way of the devil.

Quake I, II, II, Heretic II, Warcraft I, II, II, Diablo I, II, WitchHaven, Resident Evil are all alright to display and sell for an unbelievable amount of profit. But Doom they can't display. They can still sell it for a profit though, but lord forbid if it gets displayed. That was a little over 6 yrs. ago.

Now I don't know about the rest of you, but for me Diablo II is so damn demonic it makes Doom look like a day at church.


Heh, that's amusing. At the time though I think there was that multi-software company lawsuit going on, parents whose children were killed or did some killing wanted to pin the blame on id Software and other companies for releasing "teh 3vil g4m3z" into stores. They failed. Miserably. (Unless of course my timing is completely off in which case, I guess you can ignore this theory :D)

Diablo II has a demonic theme by its very nature, but you can't very well pull Diablo II from the shelves when there's money to made, now can you? :D
User avatar
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.
 
Joined: 18 Jul 2003
Location: Idaho Falls, ID

Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests