ATTN Randy: Moderators

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

Do nicer looking boards attract spammers? Because if they do, this one should be flooded...having not been a part of the other forum for all THAT long, my opinion shouldn't count that much, but if anyone qualifies for a mod position, it's Randy and Enjay (and me, because you need Russians in high positions...or something....yeah...)
boris

Post by boris »

Cyb wrote:I doubt there'll be a need for any mods, the old forums did just fine without any at all, and you didn't even need to register on the or anything. I dunno though.
Well, look at this here forum now. It's already getting spammed. This better looking/easier to use forum software is attracting a lot more people than the old ugly ones. Did you ever see posts solely containing "heh" on the old phorum...?

/me votes for Enjay
Mannequin

Post by Mannequin »

It's only been several days public. I think we should wait for a week or three and see what happens. If we then see that things are getting out of control or bad or whatever, then I see the need for moderators.

The next things is, what is the criteria for deletable content? How do we know that a moderator isn't going to get pissed of at another regular and out of spite, kill all of his/her posts?
boris

Post by boris »

Mannequin wrote:How do we know that a moderator isn't going to get pissed of at another regular and out of spite, kill all of his/her posts?
You can know that by chosing a moderator wisely. I can't imagine Enjay would do stuff like that :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I suspect the initial flurry of "spammy" posts will die down. After all, this is a dedicated forum for one (important) aspect of the doom community. It isn’t really a general gathering place.

In the past, it has tended to be a place where people post sensibly, generally on topic, ask relevant questions and provide quick, useful answers as well as having good natured (sometimes) off topic discussions too. Let's hope it shakes down that way and the Zdoom forums continue in the way we know and love. I see no reason why they shouldn't. Although, let's not get complacent either. Who knows? Things could go horribly wrong somehow.

I can only think of a couple of times in the last few years where someone has maliciously spammed the boards, repeatedly posting the same crappy messages over and over. Having someone delete such posts would be a good thing, but it's hardly a full time occupation and I'm sure Randy could easily do it.

Thanks for all the votes. It makes me feel all warm and gooey inside. :) Given what I said above, I suspect there will be little (if any ) need for mods on this forum, but should a need be perceived, I would be happy enough to do it. I wouldn't expect the job to require much other than the (very) occasional removal of a spammers posts or perhaps the PMing of someone who is being a PitA and asking them to stop.

The best mods must surely be ourselves. If we moderate our own behaviour, then there is no need for anyone else to tell us what to do and the Zdoom forums will continue to be the nice place they have been in recent years without the need for appointed moderators.
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

i'm also here too, to help Randy.

I'm a moderator of my NewDoom forum section, and nobody done bad thing.
I pass my time over ZDoom and NewDoom site all my time.
i'm also available on the computer of half my time (in the night of 22h00 PM to 04h00 AM) --> GMT -05h00

Enjay will do a cool and perfect moderator, thats true. He pass almost of his time here.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

If we do decide to have them, I think that 4 moderators (one for each forum) and Randy (the admin) would be enough. I'd be happy to mod if Randy decides to have them. I certainly visit the forums enough...
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

I'd rather wait and see how things go before deciding on having mods. They haven't been necessary in the past, and I don't really expect them to be necessary now. (Admittedly, this does seem to be the busiest any ZDoom board has been--12 hours after I mail out the news about the site, there are already over 100 new posts. Gyah! I assume it will die down.)
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

sure we will wait! :)

Those phpBB forum are cool, i've tested them in my college computer class, they are nice and easy and also beautiful.

This forum is more readable than the last one. 8)
Firebrand
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Firebrand »

I really like the forums as they are, I don't think that moderators are needed here, as someone said before, this forum has always been friendly.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

In case there arises a situation in which you may need a moderator, I shall volunteer myself. I'm certainly NOT trigger-happy, or harsh, or rude, or anything evil like that. But then, it's all up to Randy...
Biff

Post by Biff »

No mods please. That would detract from the zdoom forum's sense of equality among the people who post here. This has tended to be a more serious group of people with reasons to post, with less socializing and "cliquishness". If there have to be mods, Randy and Nigel are enough.
boris

Post by boris »

Why is everybody so keen on becoming a mod anyways?
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

boris wrote: Well, look at this here forum now. It's already getting spammed. This better looking/easier to use forum software is attracting a lot more people than the old ugly ones. Did you ever see posts solely containing "heh" on the old phorum...?
I've seen plenty of that on the old phorum. I don't think a single post containing "heh" should be considered spamming. Now if there were 4 or 5 posts saying the same thing from the same user, then that would be spamming.
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

boris wrote:Why is everybody so keen on becoming a mod anyways?
The ability to silence people.

Return to “General”