Doom demos

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Postby Curunir » Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:14 am

UV, while I could pardon your not knowing who White Ninja is, I so couldn't pardon your calling him a penis. Anyway, fun avatar no more.

And will you all please stop mindlessly rambling how DEMO SUPPORT WOULD NEVER BE INTEGRATED IN ZDOOM BECAUSE IT WOULD HAPMER TEH COOL NEW FEATURES?
Ffs, when did I bloody say: RANDY, CODE ME A DEMO-BITCH?

I think you really should read more carefully before you spew a load of edifying text.

Also, thanks for the link, Wax.
Curunir
In heaven everything is fine

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby HotWax » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:32 am

Curunir wrote:UV, while I could pardon your not knowing who White Ninja is, I so couldn't pardon your calling him a penis. Anyway, fun avatar no more.

And will you all please stop mindlessly rambling how DEMO SUPPORT WOULD NEVER BE INTEGRATED IN ZDOOM BECAUSE IT WOULD HAPMER TEH COOL NEW FEATURES?
Ffs, when did I bloody say: RANDY, CODE ME A DEMO-BITCH?

I think you really should read more carefully before you spew a load of edifying text.

Also, thanks for the link, Wax.

You're welcome, but try not to be so harsh. They/we were just explaining why demoes couldn't be supported. It'd be a nice feature to have, but it's just not worth coding around.

P.S: As I'm one of those people who believes the menu sequence in Doom isn't complete without Doomguy running around shooting stuff, I usually record up some demoes of me running around like an idiot killing stuff and eventually dying (Hey, you gotta stay true to the originals ^_^) every few patches. If you really want, I guess I could share them... By design they're not spectacular or awe-inspiring demos by any stretch of the imagination, but they get the job done.
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Curunir » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:50 am

Sorry if I have been too harsh. I promise never to post again when I've just got out of bed, I feel drowsy and the whole world is upside down :P

I just tried to record a couple of demos to have them looping at the menu (which was not my initial idea when I started this thread, I had in mind watching those Nightmatre runs through the entire games, but anyway) and found that I can't record anything :shock:
What gives?
Curunir

Postby Hirogen2 » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:45 am

I see that changing property behavior (i.e. fireball speed adjustment etc. or a lift moving one unit/tic more) will probably desync the demo, but adding a new feature such as ... a camera would not disturb it, would it?
Hirogen2

Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:09 am

That depends how it was implemented. If for some reason something in the code has to be changed to make it work and that change affects other actors in the game it can.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Enjay » Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:45 am

Curunir wrote:and found that I can't record anything :shock:
What gives?

zdoom -warp XX -skill YY -record ZZ

Where

XX = level number
YY = Skill setting
ZZ = name of file you want your demo saved to (without the lmp extension)

Works for me™
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Curunir » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:00 am

My front end was being cranky for some reason. A reboot fixed it. Thanks anyway, Enjay! :)
Curunir

Postby Ty Halderman » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:12 am

Chilvence wrote:If one tiny little thing is changed, it has reprecussions (sic) on every thing in the game.

It's the inverse of the time travel paradox. Instead of going back in time to change the present, we've made changes in the present (ZDoom) that make something that happened in the past (demo) no longer be the same as it was. :roll:
Ty Halderman
I'm free! ...or at least inexpensive.
... in loving memory ...

Postby Chilvence » Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:31 am

Why for you sic me?

My head hurt now.
Chilvence
I had been waiting for Doomscript....

Postby Ty Halderman » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:05 am

I sic'd you because I quoted a misspelled "repercussions." But I'm happy to have made your head hurt anyway (though I think it's those big horns on the sides that are your problem).
Ty Halderman
I'm free! ...or at least inexpensive.
... in loving memory ...

Postby Chilvence » Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:34 am

The man bad. The man they come and they try to take horns. The have black-magic sticks. They hurt! Chilvence kill the man with his holy fire. Man taste good with mustard and chives.
Chilvence
I had been waiting for Doomscript....

Previous

Return to General