Doom demos

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Doom demos

Postby Curunir » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:38 pm

There are hundreds of nice demos out there and none of them can be played in Zdoom. Which is a pity. All that the best players have achieved is stuffed in these darned old .lmp-s. I have no idea of how Zdoom processes demos and why old ones would "go out of sync badly" but it's a shame they can't be played.

And recording demos in Zdoom, in turn, is useless, because every next version refuses to play them. :cry:

I wish there was some solution to this. And if someone knows about a site with Z-demos, even if they're made for an odler version, do post here.
Curunir
In heaven everything is fine

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Bio Hazard » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:54 pm

why not just watch them with doom.exe?
Bio Hazard
Lord of the Lord of Nitpicking.

Postby Curunir » Sat Nov 15, 2003 1:06 pm

Because I don't keep it around :P
Do the collector's edition .exe-s count as "original" when it comes to viewing demos?
And anyway, they would be SO much more fun to watch in high res and mlook (if recorded with that, of course)
Curunir

Postby Bio Hazard » Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:17 pm

well if you use doom95 it will play in 640x480 and the original demos dont have mouselook recorded, so why does it matter?

if you want a copy of the doom95 exe, ill attach it for ya...
Bio Hazard

Postby Curunir » Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:38 pm

No need, thanks. I have all Dooms in their Collecttor's edition CD format. I'll run the demos with them, thanks. I meant whether I needed the original DOS doom.exe-s but obviously I don't :D

[Edit] If I want to view both D1 and D2 demos, and have the execs in one folder, do I have to rename them respectively to doom.exe and doom2.exe? And even if I use Doom 2 demos only, do I have to rename Doom95.exe to doom2.exe? [/Edit]
Curunir

Postby Bio Hazard » Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:43 pm

no, doom95 has a play demo feature dosent it?
Bio Hazard

Postby Curunir » Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:04 pm

Poop!
It does but it doesn't play the demos. I just tried it.
What I need must be the DOS exe and I'm NOT getting it or watching something at 320x240. Also, I want demos for zdoom! :P
Curunir

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:08 pm

Forget it. Demo compatibility and new features or bugfixes are mutually exclusive unless you put your focus on maintaining compatibility. Randy decided not to do that and IMHO made the right decision. If you want to play demos use PrBoom.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Curunir » Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:49 pm

Also, I want demos for zdoom! :P

That was rather: I would like some people to sit on their bums and record nice Zdoom demos. Then again, that wouldn't be too wise, because the next release will crap them. :roll:
Well, as I said, poop! :)
Curunir

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:09 pm

The problem with ZDoom demos is that they are version specific. Each time a new version is released you can forget the old ones. Who would record demos in such a situation?
Graf Zahl

Postby Curunir » Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:24 pm

Did you even read my post? The scheme HotWax posted yesterday comes to mind... :roll:
Curunir

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:54 pm

Sorry, I read only your last one, not the first... :(
Graf Zahl

Postby Ultraviolet » Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:00 pm

It's hard to care about things posted by somethone with an avatar that looks a lot like a penis or something.
Ultraviolet
AKA "Faint"

Postby Chilvence » Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:08 pm

Basically, a demo is just a recorded list of keyboard/mouse commands the player has pressed - when you play a demo, its basically just feeding the game those commands instead of fresh ones from your own controllers. It relies on the program code behaving exactly as it did for the user that recorded the demo for it to all run smoothly.

If one tiny little thing is changed, it has reprecussions on every thing in the game. Say in a new version, the angle to fire a projectile is computed more accurately like what has recently happened - a rocket might strike a wall a few units further from a monster than it used to, in turn, the monster takes 3 less damage, allowing it to survive, and the demo lump which is oblivious to any of this just keeps feeding in keypresses - probably even after that one monster killed the player.

And thats just one little thing; although it may look the same game, ZDoom makes some many MAJOR changes to the original games behaviour - the most recent one being the fix of an ooooooold bug that would let your bullets fly straight through monsters without you ever noticing it had happened. With monsters and players now getting shots which they would have missed before, even the shortest demo could get knocked for 6.

Now whats better, old demo support or super1337 new features? Do I even have to ask?
Chilvence
I had been waiting for Doomscript....

Postby HotWax » Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:00 am

See this thread for further information:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=758
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Next

Return to General