MY LEVEL! PLus PNAMES and TEXTURES

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

MY LEVEL! PLus PNAMES and TEXTURES

Postby Anonymous » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:16 am

Hey everyone, i've been working on the same deathmatch level off and on (lol, mainly OFF) for about 3 years now. anyways, i wanted to know how you guys like it. if anything, i think it makes a nice level displaying the zdoom features!

now theres 2 or 3 things to this.

1) rename the .piz extenion to .zip
2) YES I KNOW that there are missing textures
3) YES, i know my sky texture sucks, and YES i know saturn has holes in it! ;)

i have a question, i only know how to ADD textures n flats to the PNAMES and textures lumps in DEEPSEA. is there any easy way REMOVE the entrys? or anyway to easilly rewrite the entries??

heres the link http://undefined-realities.bravepages.com/immortal18.piz wait! my stupid host wont let me link it! is there a place i can upload files to? goddamnit
Anonymous

Postby Curunir » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:15 am

Dude! I hate to bash, but this level does have some issues.
First of all, the link works fine.
Then, the level itself... Ok, it has a lot, not just some issues.
If the level is intended as just a Zdoom new effects demo - that'd be fine. But please, don't call it a deathmatch level. Actually, don't call it a single player level too for that matter. Monsters in a deathmatch map? Random numbers outputted to the screen's center? Respawning barrels? :shock:
I mean, you might want to stay away from Zdoom's new features and concentrate on your mapping and architecture a lot more.
Curunir
In heaven everything is fine

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Enjay » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:51 am

Bah, in the good old days all maps had monsters, not just SP and coop ones. That's what -nomonsters is for :P

Haven't tried the map yet (at work) but removing textures in DeePsea is done in the texture editor. I don't think there is a quicker way to do this, but maybe. Without DeePsea in front of me I can't check. I don't often remove textures, just add.

In the texture editor, highlight a texture you want to remove and click the delete button. Once you have removed all textures containing a specific patch, do the same with the patch(es) concerned - ie highlight and delete. If the patch is still used by a texture that you may have missed, DeePsea will warn you. This only removes the texture1 and pnames entries. Now, go into the import or the pwad lump fix dialogue and delete the actual graphics lump. In the import dialogue, do this by opening your WAD as the target, highlight the lump in question and "delete target" then save. In the pwad lump fixer, open your wad, select all the entries in the WAD (to put them in the right side list) then restore the ones you want to remove to the left list (everything in the right side list gets saved). Save and your done.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Re: MY LEVEL! PLus PNAMES and TEXTURES

Postby randomlag » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:02 am

immortal18 wrote:i have a question, i only know how to ADD textures n flats to the PNAMES and textures lumps in DEEPSEA. is there any easy way REMOVE the entrys? or anyway to easilly rewrite the entries??

You can do what Enjay said, but there's also an automatic way to remove unused resources.

F7 - PWAD lump fixing and select your PWAD. Next release has the buttons cleaned up a bit, but for 11.82a you'll have to wade through all the ones listed and find the one on the right that says something like List All Textures and Flats not used. If what it says looks ok to you, click the Delete Textures and Flats not used button. You can run this in prompt mode where you can verify each one.

Then press Save As to save your changes.

(and good thing I just did this with your level since in the 11.83 revamp I made a mistake :oops: ).

(and yes, IMO all maps regardless of intent should have monsters - a much broader audience can then enjoy the level).
randomlag

Postby Kappes Buur » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:43 pm

Curunir wrote:... Monsters in a deathmatch map? ...

Enjay wrote:Bah, in the good old days all maps had monsters, not just SP and coop ones. That's what -nomonsters is for.

Randomlag wrote:(and yes, IMO all maps regardless of intent should have monsters - a much broader audience can then enjoy the level).

Heck, I used to add monsters myself to deathmatch maps, which I had downloaded and liked, just to make them playable in SP mode. I completely agree, that all maps should have monsters in them.
Kappes Buur

Postby Curunir » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:30 pm

Ding-ding! Bots anyone?
Yes, I too did once add monsters to half the maps in Mr.Doom 30 to have them respawning for cramped slaughter fun. But since we have bots now, monsters in deathmatch maps seem somewhat out of place.
Curunir
In heaven everything is fine

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Anonymous » Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:43 pm

Curunir wrote:Dude! I hate to bash, but this level does have some issues.

i dont consider it bashing :) i consider it thoughtful input
Curunir wrote:First of all, the link works fine.

thanks for letting me know! it didnt work for me....

Curunir wrote:But please, don't call it a deathmatch level. Actually, don't call it a single player level too for that matter. Monsters in a deathmatch map?

well, i know my architecture is bad for a deathmatch level, because it has small rooms and stuff. but secondly, im still not finished with it, its a work in progress. and lastly, i put monsters in it, expecting for the nomonsters command to be used.

Curunir wrote:Random numbers outputted to the screen's center? Respawning barrels?

the random numbers are to let me know what monster was being spawned, it was for debuggin purposes. and the barrels are probably going to be activated with a key (and it was used as a suicide kill type thing when my level was smaller)
Curunir wrote:I mean, you might want to stay away from Zdoom's new features and concentrate on your mapping and architecture a lot more.

i think my level just needs more work, and more control over the features i use.

lastly i have 2 more questions! how do the mirrors look? too much? i think its nice to see behind you, and i also think it makes the level look a lot more spacious. how does everyone else feel?

also, ENJAY i dunno if you knew this, but im the XAVIOR dude that was here when randy had his old forums. back when you were NIGEL ROWIND (or however your last name is spelled) ive been working on this level ever since! lol, i figured it was time to post it... and get feedback. :)
Anonymous

Postby Enjay » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:53 am

Ahhh, you're XAVIOR, yes I remember you. Man, this level has been a long time in the works. :)

I (Nigel Rowand) still haven't dl'd your level because real life is getting in the way a lot this week, but I'll probably be able to grab it later today and give it whirl.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Return to General