Skins

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Skins

Postby JangoFett » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:41 pm

How do you change the players skin on Zdoom?
And something none Zdoom, I just recently got DooM Legacy, and I tried added skins, okay It worked, BUT, How do you add more than one Skin set?
JangoFett
The Bounty Hunter

Postby Anonymous » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:44 pm

To change the player's skin, you must have some extra skins (go to http://www.doomworld.com/idgames ). I strongly suggest Enjay's Doomguy Variants skin pack. After placing the necessary files into your Doom folder, start the game, go to the 'options' menu, and choose 'player setup.'

As for Doom Legacy ... I have no idea.
Anonymous

Postby Lexus Alyus » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:47 am

Put all of your favorite skin wads in a subdirectory from zdoom called "skins", then you can choose any of your skins with no extra parameters (Zdoom loads up everything in the skins directory automatically at start up).

:twisted:
Lexus Alyus
One day, I may actually release something...

Postby Enjay » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:17 am

Lexus Alyus wrote:Zdoom loads up everything in the skins directory automatically at start up

Just to be picky - Zdoom loads up everything with a .WAD extension in the skins directory.

It's quite useful to know this, because Zdoom can quite happily load any lump that is of a format it understands and use it.

So, for example - Zdoom understands mp3 files. If you rename an mp3 file to have a WAD extension instead of an MP3 extension, Zdoom will load it, and provided it has a suitable name (eg d_runnin.wad) Zdoom will automatically use it - in this case to replace the music on map01. Of course, there are plenty of other ways to load up music, and there are many other uses of this Zdoom feature too. It was worth mentioning though.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Lexus Alyus » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:21 am

Man, your so ANAL! :-D

Lexus Alyus

Postby Enjay » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:28 am

Possibly, but it is worth pointing out. No, not me being anal - the WAD thing. :roll:

I remember just dumping any old file in "skins" and taking a while to work out that the only reason they hadn't loaded was that they didn't have a WAD extension. It also implies one way of temporarily disabling a file in "skins" (rename it to something other than WAD) which may be useful for some people.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Curunir » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:35 am

:o The wonders of startup auto-loading! Plenty of hugs for mister Enjay! I never knew that stuff about the skins directory and all.
And I do find it useful. I just found out that Zdoom plays .ogg too, when I replaced map01's music with a Leisure Suit Larry tune! :D <insert glee here>
Curunir
In heaven everything is fine

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Thrasher » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:44 pm

Yo! Just a thought, but why not head over to my site and check out some of the skins I have.

http://cyberg.virtualave.net/skins
Thrasher
I deliver 30 frags, or the next DM is free.

Postby HotWax » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:51 pm

Or you could be Teh Mast3r of 4nal like me and have a batch file for each different game (Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, TNT: Evilution, Plutonia Experiment, Heretic, Hexen, no HexenDD yet because I haven't been able to warez it :evil:) that automatically loads all wads in AutoLoad folders associated with that game (as well as skins of course, which is automagic), specifies the appropriate IWAD, and then forwards along any parameters you give to the batch file.

Example:

Code: Select allExpand view
ULTIMATE.BAT:

zdoom -iwad iwad\doom.wad -file autoload\doom\*.wad autoload\ultimate\*.wad %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

(The Autoload\Doom folder contains files common to all Dooms (Splash3.wad comes to mind) while the Autoload\Ultimate folder contains only those files which should affect Ultimate Doom ... useful for replacing maps or musics without having it screw up the other Dooms... This is becoming a real long aside-note isn't it?)

And then of course I supplement all those batch files with ANOTHER batch file that allows me to call up any custom wad for any game quickly. Teh PLAY.BAT file:

Code: Select allExpand view
PLAY.BAT:

%1.bat -file wads\%1\%2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

This one looks like Greek, I know, so I'll explain.

I type:

play doom2 njma01.wad -skill 4 -warp 1

Because it's a batch file, these variables are setup:

%0 = play
%1 = doom2
%2 = njma01.wad
%3 = -skill
%4 = 4
%5 = -warp
%6 = 1

So the command above becomes this:

doom2.bat -file wads\doom2\njma01.wad -skill 4 -warp 1

Which in turn does this:

zdoom -iwad iwad\doom2.wad -file autoload\doom\*.wad autoload\doom2\*.wad -file wads\doom2\njma01.wad -skill 4 -warp 1

Magical.

[EDIT] And thanks to this long-ass boring post, I just realized the -file command in PLAY.BAT is unneeded and removed it. W00t.[/EDIT]
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Lexus Alyus » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:58 am

Whatever works for you is the best solution, because it's you who has to get it working and live with it :-). As for Thrashers skins, I love the dark demon... can I use it in my mod? :-D

Lexus Alyus

Return to General