How do I get MUS in ZDoom!?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:58 pm

As has been told before MUS is MIDI. It's really the same data. So this entire discussion is pointless.

I have to agree with your comment about the wavetable synth. I cannot get it to work in ZDoom at all. I wonder why. It sounds so much better than the hardware support of my sound card.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Bashe » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:06 pm

How do I edit instruments within MUS or MIDI files?
I don't like the Acoustic Snare. How do I change these instruments?
Bashe
boof

Postby HotWax » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:17 am

Bashe wrote:If I had Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth, I wouldn't worry about MUS, since that synthesizer sounds pretty nice.

I thought this was built into Windows.. In any case, on my system at least it sounds exactly the same as using Midi Mapper as the midi device.
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Hirogen2 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:40 am

HotWax wrote:
Bashe wrote:If I had Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth, I wouldn't worry about MUS, since that synthesizer sounds pretty nice.

I thought this was built into Windows.. In any case, on my system at least it sounds exactly the same as using Midi Mapper as the midi device.

If it was built into Windows...
ESS MIDI does sound different than say a CS46xx MIDI, as the former has some other drums at some spot than the CS.
There is still gm.dls, aka the default DirectSound "MIDI" SoundSet.
Hirogen2

Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Sphagne » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:30 pm

I have a Live Value and if in adjust audio properties I change it to Software synthesis it change all the midis played in my computer including ZDoom.

In ZDoom I use default dvice.
Sphagne
Just me, nothing more

Postby randi » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:54 pm

About the MIDI mapper: The MIDI Mapper is not an actual MIDI device. Rather, it is a set of mappings you set up with the Multimedia control panel (not sure where its functionality went in XP). Normally, it maps everything to the default MIDI device (number 0), but it can configured to route different channels and notes to different devices.

The Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth device comes with Windows ME and XP. It might also come with 2000, but I've never used that OS so I don't know.
randi
Site Admin

Postby Bashe » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:11 pm

How can I edit the insturments within songs? I don't care about this MIDI talk at the moment.

Is it possible to edit instruments?
Bashe
boof

Postby Bio Hazard » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:30 pm

HotWax wrote:Here is the original music recorded into MP2 format using a Roland 32-bit sound card:

Doom 1
Doom 2

are there any other places to get those? because the server wants me to wait for 30 minutes for EACH file >.< and i cant log onto ftp://archives.3dgamers.com/pub/idgames/ for some reason...
Bio Hazard
Lord of the Lord of Nitpicking.

Postby Chilvence » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:39 pm

Chilvence
I had been waiting for Doomscript....

Postby randi » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:42 pm

Bashe wrote:Is it possible to edit instruments?

Yes, but you'll need a MIDI editing program to do it.

Bio Hazard wrote:ftp://archives.3dgamers.com/pub/idgames/

Use a mirror instead. The main archive has a very low user limit.
randi
Site Admin

Postby Lexus Alyus » Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:29 am

To edit midi songs you need something like Cakewalk or cubase. When I said rEAL instruments I actually meant me playing them, in which case, I don't think you can get any realer than that :-D. I'm training to be a professional musician/producer and I use Logic Audio (THE second best program). That has midi support, so you can write midi files, but I find it best to start with cakewalk, it used to be far simpler (get a low version, not as complex). Cubase is roughly translated to pooBase and if you own protools then you are damn rich, I envy you! :-D.

As for changing individual midi sounds, you can't just change the snare on a drum kit (well, you can cus all GM kits have two snare drums) but it doesan't go any further than that. I'm telling, you the future of game music is REAL audio (not the format or player). General midi is cool if you have a sound module (Roland are the best, although Emu come second) and midi is great for sending messages to digital instruments in a studio, but as far as sound cards go, it's pritty dated.. a lot of new sound cards don't even have a midi chip built in, I'm curremtly using XP's built in midi mapper (which appears to emulate a Roland SC, not too bad quality, but it's still not GREAT). Funnily enough I've just finished writing an essay on midi :-D. Midi isn't the sound... it just tells the computor what sound to play and the reason why a m,idi file is so small is because it has the raw data, not any sounds, in actual fact, a midi file has NO sound in it, it's just a simple trigger that interacts with the sounds on your sound card. That's why midi's are so good. Like I said before, this is great if you have an expensive sound module, but other than that it's not too great (I assume that only musicians will have a sound module too).

:twisted:
Lexus Alyus
One day, I may actually release something...

Postby Bio Hazard » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:56 pm

randy wrote:Use a mirror instead. The main archive has a very low user limit.

where is a mirror?
Bio Hazard

Postby cccp_leha » Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:41 pm

cccp_leha
Words are silver; silence is gold... so stfu.

Postby Bio Hazard » Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:48 pm

it wants me to log in... :(
Bio Hazard

Postby Enjay » Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:02 pm

Well, these are all the mirrors listed on Doomworlds idgames database, but I dunno if they have the MP2 music. Oh, and it seems to be that if these places have reached their user limit, you get asked to log on rather than getting something more meaningful telling you the user limit has been reached. If that happens, and I need to log on to that specific archive for some reason, I just keep hitting the log on button (without entering a name or password) until I get on.

ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/
ftp://ftp.fdn.fr/pub/games/idgames/
ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/idgames/
ftp://ftp.clinet.fi/pub/mirrors/archive ... m/idgames/
http://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/idgames/
ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/vendors/idgames/
ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/msdos/games/idgames/
ftp://ftp.task.gda.pl/pub/games/idgames/
ftp://ftp.netc.pt/pub/idgames/
http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/idgames/
http://ftp.netc.pt/pub/idgames/
http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/