ZDOOM player by age

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

ZDOOM player by age

under 15
8%
15 to 25
65%
25 to 35
12%
35 to 45
8%
45 to 60
8%
over 60
No votes

Total votes : 52

Postby Bio Hazard » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:41 pm

Liam wrote:I love horror games. I love being scared. I remember borrowing System Shock 2 from a friend in junior high school, then being unable to finish it because it was so freakin' scary. I wish I still had it ... I still remember hiding behind a desk, hearing the pat of bare feet just a few meters away as the hybrids were searching for me. One of them said something like, "you ... no hide ... forever." Long story short: they found me, and I practically shat myself.

many a time... many a time...

actually i finally got around to playing that game a month ago...

creeeeeepy stuff... creepy, but great...
Bio Hazard
Lord of the Lord of Nitpicking.

Postby Doom » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:42 am

HotWax wrote:Fear not. Doom 3 is going to revolutionize FPS gaming. PHEAR!!!

As a Doom fan this isn't easy to explain....but it will not.

Doom will push graphics to the maximum allowed by today's video accelerators but that's all.

Doom3 will be just like Mortal Kombat 5, just "Boom" dispelled in a matter of weeks. Oldschool Doom will remain unbeaten forever...
Doom
Give me 80's metal or give me death

Postby Cyb » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:16 am

Lexus Alyus wrote:I started college 4 years ago and i'm 19... I think English schoos are completely differant from American schools, for a start, we all leave school atr 16 and can do whatever we want afterwards (find a job, go onto higher education, etc...) and college is purely optional, but you can study whatever you want (i'm studieing music production, and i'm learning loads). Plus, Uni is totally differant than college... so, yeah, I know nothing :-D

Man, that author sounds like my perfect author, he inspred nearly ALL of my favorite games, including silent hill :-D

:twisted:

here college and university are the same thing, so when I say college I mean university
Cyb

Postby HotWax » Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:19 pm

Doom wrote:

Doom will push graphics to the maximum allowed by today's video accelerators but that's all.

Doom3 will be just like Mortal Kombat 5, just "Boom" dispelled in a matter of weeks. Oldschool Doom will remain unbeaten forever...

Errrr... I was talking about the gameplay.

Yes, it'll push the cards to their limits by being the first engine to truly utilize the dynamic lighting, but think about what that will change, both in terms of single-player and multiplayer:

- Every light can be made to flicker, strobe, be turned on or off, or be destroyed, and the environment will update properly, dynamically changing the feel of the environment around you.
- Every structure can move in any way you like, and the lighting will update properly to allow that move. The structure of a level itself could be in a constant state of flux.
- No more "straight DM" deathmatch. Players can destroy lights and tiptoe around in darkened areas, waiting for unsuspecting opponents to fall into their trap. Enemies can flush them out using the flashlight, but that obviously gives away their own position.

Shadows will play a HUGE role in Doom 3. No more are they just there for looks, they are now a tactical consideration. Imagine trying to sneak up on a group of imps but having your shadow give you away. Imagine sneaking around a deathmatch level, and suddenly seeing your enemy's shadow ahead as he approaches from a nearby corridor, creeping back into the corner, tensing and waiting as he passes right by you without seeing you.

Imagine a level in which lights get blown out by misfied rockets, eventually having to navigate by your flashlight and the flickering red emergency lights in the level.

The entire feel of both single player and deathmatch will be greatly changed by Doom 3. Just ask the lucky gaming media guys who have actually gotten to deathmatch each other and they'll tell you how very different and cool it feels. One guy related how he nearly shat himself when he heard the unmistakable yell of a Stimpack-induced player approaching from the distance. (A very cool addition to the stimpack indeed. :D)

Personally, I can't wait.
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Doom » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:57 am

HotWax wrote:
Doom wrote:

Errrr... I was talking about the gameplay.

Yes, it'll push the cards to their limits by being the first engine to truly utilize the dynamic lighting, but think about what that will change, both in terms of single-player and multiplayer:

- Every light can be made to flicker, strobe, be turned on or off, or be destroyed, and the environment will update properly, dynamically changing the feel of the environment around you.
- Every structure can move in any way you like, and the lighting will update properly to allow that move. The structure of a level itself could be in a constant state of flux.
- No more "straight DM" deathmatch. Players can destroy lights and tiptoe around in darkened areas, waiting for unsuspecting opponents to fall into their trap. Enemies can flush them out using the flashlight, but that obviously gives away their own position.

Shadows will play a HUGE role in Doom 3. No more are they just there for looks, they are now a tactical consideration. Imagine trying to sneak up on a group of imps but having your shadow give you away. Imagine sneaking around a deathmatch level, and suddenly seeing your enemy's shadow ahead as he approaches from a nearby corridor, creeping back into the corner, tensing and waiting as he passes right by you without seeing you.

Imagine a level in which lights get blown out by misfied rockets, eventually having to navigate by your flashlight and the flickering red emergency lights in the level.

The entire feel of both single player and deathmatch will be greatly changed by Doom 3. Just ask the lucky gaming media guys who have actually gotten to deathmatch each other and they'll tell you how very different and cool it feels. One guy related how he nearly shat himself when he heard the unmistakable yell of a Stimpack-induced player approaching from the distance. (A very cool addition to the stimpack indeed. :D)

Personally, I can't wait.

Well, I must say it's gonna be great (dunno how long that greatness will last though) and hope it does have the whole set of monsters from classic Doom, I don't mind if new ones make appearance as long as I can still kill my Cacodemons whch btw, were awfully destroyed in Doom 64, aestethically speaking.

Another point would be a blood bath!, the bloodier the better. Would it be possible to blow an IMP's head just as you do in Soldier Of Fortune?, hmmm, that would actually rock :lol:
Doom

Postby Lexus Alyus » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:04 pm

Well, I should think that that wuld be possible... dunno why, but I think it shuld :-D. I actually thought the caco in Doom 64 looked better :-D... then again the hissy looks better than the original sprite :-D.

:twisted:
Lexus Alyus
One day, I may actually release something...

Postby HotWax » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:20 pm

Doom 3 uses 100% poly hit detection. That is, there's no more bounding box, at all. When you shoot at someone, the engine will determine the precise pixel where you hit them. If you shoot right under their arm or between their legs, you'll miss (this was not the case in Quake 3 or most other FPS games). While they haven't announced the ability to blow off body parts, it should at least be possible to determine the precise location where the model is hit, and if Doom 3 doesn't come with severing body parts, I'm sure someone will develop a mod for it that does include the feature pretty quickly after launch.

Just FYI, allowing models to be ripped apart is harder than one might think. It means you have to have set "sever points" and that each model must actually be made up of several sub-models. For example, if you want the limbs and head to be able to be removed and/or destroyed, then the character has to be made up of 6 separate models:

Head
Left Arm
Right Arm
Left Leg
Right Leg
Torso

This is to say nothing for partial-limp separation (elbows, knees, etc)...

Also, if you want their gun to be able to fly out of their hands, that's one more model that has to be rendered (although that's less of an issue seeing as how they could just use the player weapons for that).
HotWax

Postby Doom » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:59 pm

Lexus Alyus wrote:I actually thought the caco in Doom 64 looked better :-D...

Hmmm, I think the coolest caco by far is the MD2 one, cos it really looks like a caco!, the Doom64's would be more like the male for Pain Elemental or a sort of living brain tumour :lol:
Doom

Postby Doom » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:04 pm

HotWax wrote:This is to say nothing for partial-limp separation (elbows, knees, etc)...

I still have a fully working kidney, anyone interested?, drop me line, $600.99 or trade for GFORCE FX5900...
Doom

Postby Anonymous » Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:20 pm

:?
Anonymous

Postby cccp_leha » Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:38 pm

Samiam5446 wrote::?

the above >= count++, hahaha. Let's hear your age, mighty blue man :)
cccp_leha
Words are silver; silence is gold... so stfu.

Postby HotWax » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:39 pm

cccp_leha wrote:
Samiam5446 wrote::?

the above >= count++, hahaha. Let's hear your age, mighty blue man :)

I've got good money that it's less than 16 but greater than 11.
HotWax

Postby Lexus Alyus » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:38 pm

I don't think his physical age in important, maybe his mental age, say for example I have a physical age of 19 but a mental age of 28... and I look about 22...
Lexus Alyus

Postby Lexus Alyus » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:39 pm

Yeah, and I have a physical age of 19, a mental age of 6 and I look like a retarded munky... plus I don't know how to spell munkney...
Lexus Alyus

Postby Lexus Alyus » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:39 pm

Lexus, now your just trying to get a high post count like our little blue friend... BAD LEXUS!
Last edited by Lexus Alyus on Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lexus Alyus

PreviousNext

Return to General