Quake

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Postby Hirogen2 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:10 am

Back on topic, speaking of Quake:
Tenebrae Quake Port
Hirogen2

Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Lexus Alyus » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:20 pm

Who needs doom 3? This looks far better than anything I've ever seen! (No, hotwax I'm actually being sereouse now)... what will it take for Zdoom to look like this? :-D

Why are non famouse programmers making so much more progress out of the quake engine than id themselves? Seeing those screenshots has actually inspired me tyo completely drop doom and work with quake whee I can make any weapon I want, create any monster I want, create any graphic I want... and the list goes on... why isn't the Quake comunity that big with things like that? But, don't fret, I'm not gonna drop Doom :-D, but ROTGS3... the futures looking dark and gloomy, the futures gonna scare the shit out of you :twisted:

mwa ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

:twisted:
Lexus Alyus
One day, I may actually release something...

Postby Anonymous » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:23 pm

Holy shit thats nice....
Anonymous

Postby HotWax » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:24 pm

Lexus Alyus wrote:Who needs doom 3? This looks far better than anything I've ever seen! (No, hotwax I'm actually being sereouse now)... what will it take for Zdoom to look like this? :-D

Why are non famouse programmers making so much more progress out of the quake engine than id themselves? Seeing those screenshots has actually inspired me tyo completely drop doom and work with quake whee I can make any weapon I want, create any monster I want, create any graphic I want... and the list goes on... why isn't the Quake comunity that big with things like that? But, don't fret, I'm not gonna drop Doom :-D, but ROTGS3... the futures looking dark and gloomy, the futures gonna scare the shit out of you :twisted:

mwa ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

:twisted:

I have a better question. If these programmers are so damn good, why don't they write the engine themselves? ...
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Anonymous » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:26 pm

They are fucking lazy and they are only in it for the money?
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:27 pm

Oh wait, did you mean the home programmers?
Anonymous

Postby Lexus Alyus » Mon Nov 17, 2003 3:35 pm

I don't know, i'm not a programmer, so ask randy yourself :-D.
Lexus Alyus
One day, I may actually release something...

Postby MartinHowe » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:19 pm

Chris wrote:Are you sure? I don't know myself, but in non-Hexen games, the player is considered to be the Fighter class, and the Fighter can't pick up non-fighter weapons(including the Cleric's WraithVerge). Although maybe ZDoom is smart enough and lets the Doomguy and Hereticelf pickup all weapons..

Well if you GIVE yourself both types of mana and then GIVE yourself a cweapwraithverge it works. I did this on Doom E1M1.

I also ripped the gfx out of HeXen.wad so I could use the summon command to face off a cyberdemon and Korax against each other. The cyber won!! Poor Korax, even that stupid looking spider from E3M8 kicked his ass :-)
MartinHowe
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN

Postby Chilvence » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:31 pm

Korax relies heavily on his scripted events to confuse the player though - Im not surprised he is weak without them. You can actually whup his ass easily if you save enough flechettes :)
Chilvence
I had been waiting for Doomscript....

Postby HotWax » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:43 pm

Samiam5446 wrote:Oh wait, did you mean the home programmers?

I'm referring to these apparently God-Like programmers who are so damn good they can take someone else's engine and add standard D3D/OpenGL features to it and then claim it "competes" with Doom 3...

I'm not sure if the screenshot above is from the same mod or not, but I recall reading on a website about such a project (I think it was for Quake 2 though) and it was quite obvious the programmers thought they were hot shit because they could "compete" with Doom 3's renderer.

Apparently it's a little harder to try to actually design the entire engine from scratch yourself. That's why John Carmack's disgustingly rich, and they're not.
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Hirogen2 » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:06 am

Lexus Alyus wrote:Who needs doom 3? This looks far better than anything I've ever seen! (No, hotwax I'm actually being sereouse now)... what will it take for Zdoom to look like this? :-D

It will take stencil buffers, as has been said on the Tenebrae page. But keep in mind, it is very CPU/GPU intensive! Unstenciled areas run fine with their 70fps, however stenciled areas can break down to 9fps at times, with an AMD AXP2K+, NVidia2MX400/32.

the futures looking dark and gloomy, the futures gonna scare the shit out of you :twisted: mwa ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!! :twisted:

Indeed. As Doomworld says "we do not need other ports to suck to make ours look good" :D ... well, that is not true YET.
Hirogen2

Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Previous

Return to General